VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am always in search for a good remote for the pc for media center. I stumbled upon GLOVEPIE. It can use a pc bluetooth connection to connect a wiimote to the pc for use on games and more importantly programs. I saw a video posted showing it controlling winamp. I obviously want to control windows media center.

I also have the ps3 bluetooth remote which I am not using. I actually bought the ir bluwave remote instead because of the cleaner and smaller footprint. However i am interested in if glovepie can also add the ps3 remote as well as the wiimote.

My instincts tell me the ps3 remote will be better for media center and powerdvd for the simple fact of the extra buttons versus the buttonless wiimote (what it only has like six buttons total or something).

So for 30.00 I'm gonna pick up a usb bluetooth adapter and give this a whirl. I'll report back with real world experiences. The video I saw only was pretty cool. I could even use the wii mote to shutdown windows in the media center interface!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if anyone is interested in a follow up I did actually GET IT TO WORK!

I couldn't believe it. I ended up getting a Kensington BLuetooth 2.0 usb adapter for about 30.00. I was able to get my wiimote detected by the computer. However glovepie wasn't able to work with it. Drove me nuts.

I did some more searching over the next few days and read up on something called bluesolei for a compatible driver for glovepie. So I downloaded and IT WORKED! I was blown away.

I actually got a preloaded basic script for media center and my WIIMOTE worked with it!! It was amazing. I used the arrow buttons on the wiimote to move around the windows in media center. I used the a button to click on the various windows. I was also able to use the b button to go backwards to previous screens.

Unfortunately with so few buttons on the wiimote it makes for a fairly limited remote control - BUT ONE DAMN COOL ONE! So I started working on the Sony BD PS3 remote - the bluetooth enabled one.

I got it working just fine. I now have it almost fully programmed for media center. I went to microsoft.com and printed out the keyboard commands for it. I can even use the remote for playing dvds within media center (actual dvds that is not virtual, I don't have that hack loaded but I'm sure the controls would work the same).

I am loving this. Now I have a fully functional remote control that IS NOT LINE OF SIGHT dependent. That is the beauty of bluetooth over infrared. Now I am not even going to bother struggling over getting networking my ps3 and xbox 360 with my vista pc anymore. I will leave them setup with a straight wireless connection for wifi gaming and updates. Now that I have a fully functioning remote control for the pc I can just use the pc directly since I have it hooked up to my stereo and my tv (to the tv via dvi-hdmi cable).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote