VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    For awhile now, I've been running into FLV files that won't load or play in any of my desktop players. That includes the old FLV Player 1.33 and the Applian FLV Player 2.0. (Don't like what I read in the review here for their current 3.0) WMP: negative. GOM (older version): negative. VLC 1.11 remains my 'Go To' player, but also negative. It works for most everything else I routinely throw at it, and works well, but is also negative for these FLV. (It might have worked for some older types of FLV files, but I'd need to double-check that.) Given the reviews I'm reading on VLC 2.x, I think I'll stick with my default position of "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It." I also have WMP-HC (v. 1.5), which is also negative on this, but I'd probably be willing to update that to a later version, if it would really make a difference.

What may have changed with more recent-issue FLV that could be a factor here ? What else that's around in players should I be considering ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    What may have changed with more recent-issue FLV that could be a factor here ? What else that's around in players should I be considering ?
    I know of at least one popular video site that has recently started modifying the headers of its flv videos in a fairly trivial way...

The only way I've managed to play the files is to manually 'fix' the headers.

I don't know if it's ok to talk in depth about this and suggest workarounds. Would this be classed as breaking some kind of copy protection... hmm.
    Last edited by intracube; 24th Jun 2012 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Media Player Classic is what I use.
    WMP and VLC are terrible with FLV files. GOM is passable.

The Adobe Media Player works well, too, of course. (Comes with CS4 and CS5 Master Collection)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Given the reviews I'm reading on VLC 2.x, I think I'll stick with my default position of "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It."
    Download a portable version and you can run it without removing the older version. Then delete the new version whenever you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    The only way I've managed to play the files is to manually 'fix' the headers.

I don't know if it's ok to talk in depth about this and suggest workarounds. Would this be classed as breaking some kind of copy protection... hmm.
    Since the site lets you talk about DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, and DVDFab, why wouldn't it let you talk about changing the header in an FLV?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Since the site lets you talk about DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, and DVDFab, why wouldn't it let you talk about changing the header in an FLV?
    I thought circumvention of copy protection systems was illegal (in the U.S. at least) and issues like this might have been part of the reason for moving Videohelp to European servers.

In this case, I don't know why the headers are like this.

If you compare one of the problematic FLVs to a regular one in a hex editor, it's obvious what's missing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Daum PotPlayer is all you need, trust me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Given the reviews I'm reading on VLC 2.x, I think I'll stick with my default position of "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It."
    Download a portable version and you can run it without removing the older version. Then delete the new version whenever you want.
    A good suggestion -- thanks. I've become a big fan of portable versions of a lot of different apps, and am tilting that way whenever feasible.

In this case, I don't know why the headers are like this.

If you compare one of the problematic FLVs to a regular one in a hex editor, it's obvious what's missing.
    With these latest examples, there was no discernible FLV header of any sort. I often check with a hex editor, so I'm well accustomed to recognizing the standard video file type headers.

MediaInfo would not tell me anything about these files either, but I'm a version behind the latest there as well.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Media Player Classic is what I use.
    WMP and VLC are terrible with FLV files. GOM is passable.

The Adobe Media Player works well, too, of course. (Comes with CS4 and CS5 Master Collection)
    Good to know. My GOM version is probably too old. (Haven't updated that in a long time.) I'd like to find the Adobe player as a standalone module, though that does not seem to be in the cards.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tbout View Post
    Daum PotPlayer is all you need, trust me
    It's for Windows only.

Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    With these latest examples, there was no discernible FLV header of any sort. I often check with a hex editor, so I'm well accustomed to recognizing the standard video file type headers.
    Can you upload one of these flvs somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Then it's not an FLV file. Or it's a corrupt FLV file. Or it's encrypted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload one of these flvs somewhere?
    I may have deleted them already, but I'll check.

Originally Posted by tbout
    Daum PotPlayer is all you need, trust me
    I don't suppose there's a portable version of this around somewhere . . . ?
    [EDIT: Never mind, it looks like AfterDawn has one.]

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/media_players/daum_potplayer_portable.cfm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then it's not an FLV file. Or it's a corrupt FLV file.
    Both Orbit Downloader and the YTF Greasemonkey script thought they were. But these have become rather hit or miss for YT video downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the FLVs are more corrupted than I thought. I can get the files to start playing, but they bomb out part way through.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Both Orbit Downloader and the YTF Greasemonkey script thought they were. But these have become rather hit or miss for YT video downloads.
    Can you give the YouTube page?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you give the YouTube page?
    Every YT video I've looked at recently has this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    I just used FireFox and Download Helper to download a few FLV videos from Youtube. Both were "normal" FLV files (640x360, AVC/AAC) and played in all the players I tried (MPCHC, VLC, KMPlayer, PotPlayer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dC03TA5UEI&feature=g-logo-xit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic&feature=g-music
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GuqB1BQVr4&feature=g-music
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ditto for me using Download Helper.
    Quote Quote  
  18. There are some YouTube videos that Download Helper can't download. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVhAF1W6D2g

That's one reason I asked for a link to a video the OP was having trouble with. RtmpExplorer used to work for those videos but not anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just used FireFox and Download Helper to download a few FLV videos from Youtube. Both were "normal" FLV files (640x360, AVC/AAC) and played in all the players I tried (MPCHC, VLC, KMPlayer, PotPlayer).
    Yeah, it looks like DH establishes a different connection compared to the YT Flash player and gets a subtly different file. The files received with DH don't seem to have broken headers.

The reason the videos were bombing out part way through was because there were HTTP headers left in the file (my fault). Not sure if there are any other differences.
    Quote Quote