VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dear all,

i have an mkv file with 3 language options : russion over english, russian and polish
    can i remove the rest and listen to only the english one ?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the "Russian over English" means an English audio track with a Russian voiceover recorded over it, then no. You can extract the "Russian over English" audio track on it's own using mkvtoolnix, but you will not be able to remove the recorded Russian voiceover.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    If the "Russian over English" means an English audio track with a Russian voiceover recorded over it, then no. You can extract the "Russian over English" audio track on it's own using mkvtoolnix, but you will not be able to remove the recorded Russian voiceover.
    I've spent a decent amount of time in Ukraine and I speak Russian fairly well. I can 100% guarantee you that you have correctly identified the audio as being English with a Russian voiceover.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Gaaah.

I didn't notice it was "Russian OVER English".

Why do they do that when they have a separate Russian track? It seems perversely destructive.

Anyway, if that's the case, the OP is f***ed. Just delete it and look for another version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Gaaah.

I didn't notice it was "Russian OVER English".

Why do they do that when they have a separate Russian track? It seems perversely destructive.

Anyway, if that's the case, the OP is f***ed. Just delete it and look for another version.
    Two possible reasons that I can think of.
    1) The original poster has misidentified the language and it is not Russian but something else.
    2) People old enough to have been adults during the days of the Soviet Union may actually be nostalgic for this as that's how all English language films were dubbed in the past. I've got a few examples of this and it's terrible. In the best cases they have a few different voice actors where maybe 1 or 2 different women will dub the women roles and 1 or 2 different men will dub the male roles. Sometimes there is only one speaker, usually male, who does all the voices. And in the worst cases, the one guy will be rushing through everything he says almost as if he has to listen to it being said in English and then very very quickly provide an on the spot translation himself. I own a decent number of made in Russia DVDs of English language films and I have no examples of DVDs that provide both a true Russian dub and a voice over. It's always just one or the other. It's a voice over only on older films. Almost everything made in the past 10 years by Hollywood has a proper Russian dub and not a voice over.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wikipedia article on the subject for the curious:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice-over_translation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Being originally from Quebec, Canada I've seen this on some older English language films there in the past using French over audible background English. Not sure if this process was done in Canada or France, but it was ghastly.

If this is what we think it is, then yes, the O/P is rather screwed if he/she wants the Russian off the English. It's like removing a narrator's voice over a background discussion - to the domain of advanced software, trained audio engineering teams, and lots and lots of time for imperfect results at best.

Or get the English source somewhere...
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks all
    i guess it is an impossible job because the russian is recorded over english as one track and no way can be seperated
    so as was said , i got another version
    Quote Quote