VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The latest version,2.58,is now adware,what's happened. I notice that 2.58 file is smaller than previous versions. Has our favorite burning program been ruined?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems okay to me. Opt-out of the adware during installation. Unlike Microsoft, smaller may be better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like we cannot disable those stupid unfunny quotes anymore

EDIT: I don't know why, but the program simply was ignoring that setting from the previous .INI file.
    Re-ticking the respective checkbox in the GUI "fixed" the problem.

P.S.: @ wulf109,
    I think this thread is rather misplaced ( Blu-Ray Ripping ??? )
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 16th Jun 2013 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our...hmm...computer section.

I guess it uses opencandy. Adware crap during the installation.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Block OpenCandy in you hosts file.

127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com
    127.0.0.1 media.opencandy.com
    127.0.0.1 cdn.opencandy.com
    127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com
    127.0.0.1 api.opencandy.com

No more opencandy offers or tracking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Block OpenCandy in you hosts file.

Say I was using HostsMan software.
    Do the lines of above text need to be in an exclusion/excluded list or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's hidden in the eula. but what "programs" it installs i can't find??? anyone notice anything other than imgburn installing during setup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-17_115241.png
Views:	8180
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	18400
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't know anything about HostsMan. Those lines came directly from my hosts file (a plain text file). You can use Notepad to edit it. Under Windows the it's c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it's hidden in the eula. but what "programs" it installs i can't find??? anyone notice anything other than imgburn installing during setup?
    During installation of the target software the OpenCandy layer queries it's web site to decide what to offer you. It's not the same every time or for every user.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. then opencandy was blocked already on my comp and i must not have gotten any of their "offers". i've been using the hosts file from this site for about 10 years. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    ok. then opencandy was blocked already on my comp and i must not have gotten any of their "offers". i've been using the hosts file from this site for about 10 years. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    Yes, OpenCandy is blocked by their hosts file. That's the one I use. Plus some additions of my own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it got updated last month if you haven't been there in awhile like me.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I get this:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	adware.png
Views:	7325
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	18401  

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or just use Universal Extractor to extract the files from setup.exe.
    Then replace old ImgBurn.exe with the new one. Same with ImgBurnPreview.exe
    No need to run setup and fight with the adware stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or deselect I accept....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know anything about HostsMan. Those lines came directly from my hosts file (a plain text file). You can use Notepad to edit it. Under Windows the it's c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Assume you are talking to a complete idiot about this stuff.....because you are....

By adding that text, an idiot like me can only assume that without the words "do not allow" or "ignore" or "block" somewhere....you are simply adding these texts to a list of possible places to visit, allow, go to.
    I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    hech54 -

Block OpenCandy in you hosts file.

127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address used in networking. It refers to the machine itself. So 127.0.0.1 on your PC refers to your PC and on my PC 127.0.0.1 refers to my PC. So the hosts files entries above are telling your PC "If you see the names tracking.openandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com, media.opencandy.com, etc. then send them all to 127.0.0.1 and don't try to look them up in DNS". So it sends all requests to those servers to your own PC where they will simply die and do nothing. So if the Imgburn install tries to go to api.opencandy.com it will actually go to your own PC where nothing will happen because your own PC won't have the files it's trying to get.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is just HOW hosts files work. Explaining WHY this is the syntax and why it doesn't require you to put "do not allow", "block", etc. is beyond the scope of this reply. Let's just say that this is the easiest way to deal with the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many companies are using hostfile to block unwanted sites. It´s a simple and cheap way.
    127.0.0.1 facebook.com -- and employees can´t visit Facebook anymore. That´s of course nothing secure, because anyone can change this with Notepad, but most don´t know why facebook is blocked, and they have no clue where to search for.
    If a site is in the hostfile, there´s no lookup on DNS servers, IP used in the hostfile will be applied. And as jman98 said: it calls your own machine, and there it dies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This is just HOW hosts files work. Explaining WHY this is the syntax and why it doesn't require you to put "do not allow", "block", etc. is beyond the scope of this reply. Let's just say that this is the easiest way to deal with the problem.
    Gotcha.
    Thank You for the explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Internet communications are performed by IP address not by names. Names are there just for the convenience of users. When you type an address like videohelp.com into your browser the browser must first figure out what IP address that refers to. It first looks in your hosts file to see if that name is listed. If it finds the name there it uses IP address specified. If the name is not in your hosts file it performs a Domain Name Server (DNS) lookup on a server somewhere (in your router, your ISP, some other DNS server specified in your setup).

The hosts file doesn't specifically "disable" addresses, it re-routes them. But if you re-route them to your own computer (127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address of your own computer) programs won't find what they're looking for. You've essentially disabled that host name. Smart users may still able to access a site by entering the IP address directly.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Some complaints on the imgburn.com forums about this latest version. They define it as installing crapware but others say you can opt out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I get this:

not here, i don't get any offers.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  24. Rule #0. Everything has a lifespan. Starts out little and improves to a point where it cannot be improved anymore. Then it deproves.
    Example: windows (xp was the peak). Save your old copy of imgburn because the new one has been deproved.
    Quote Quote  
  25. This from the list of updates in the latest release: "Changed: No longer bundling/offering the Ask.com toolbar in the setup program, OpenCandy now handles product offerings during installation."
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, OpenCandy is blocked by their hosts file. That's the one I use. Plus some additions of my own.
    Hmmm. Anything we might want to add to that file . . . ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a side note on an issue I faced when updating the hosts file:

After installing the latest IMGBurn and reading this thread I decided to check my hosts file. It had reverted to having nothing in it so I downloaded the latest as you posted. I started having issues with page loads in Firefox 21. Many sites were waiting on www.google-analytics.com even though the entry is in the hosts file so it should just default to my own pc. Many if not most sites who use this tracking "service" seem to search the Google entry before loading the requested page and this caused waits from 10 to 20 seconds depending on the site before it would load a page. Why it doesn't work the way other hosts entries do I don't know but fortunately there is a solution in Firefox with Adblock Plus. As soon as I filtered the url in the "AD blocking Rule" the problem was gone.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  28. After reading this post I tried to get more details about OpenCandy, as I luv candy.

quotes from Wiki
    When a user installs an application that has the OpenCandy library, there is an option to install additional software that it recommends (based on a scan of the user's system and geolocation)

The software was originally developed for the DivX installation, by CEO Darrius Thompson. When installing DivX, the user was prompted to optionally install the Yahoo! Toolbar. DivX received $15.7 million during the first nine months of 2008 from Yahoo and other software developers, after 250 million downloads.
    The figure looks irresistible and very attractive.
    I wish, every single developer should at-least get more than a million , and get Ashton-Martin soon.
    As a proven Developer, I would like to see Ashton-Martin parked besides my Benz in my drive-way first.

DiVX is a commercial software.One should never ever pay for any commercial software which is bundled with ad-ware(s)/mal-ware(s)/back-door(s) etc...and create harm to PC or privacy.

Who really cares which one uses OpenCandy or CloseCandy?.
    Last edited by enim; 24th Jun 2013 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Many sites were waiting on www.google-analytics.com... this caused waits from 10 to 20 seconds
    Can you give some examples? I haven't seen the problem. Maybe because I'm also using NoScript so very few sites get to run Java Script on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Many sites were waiting on www.google-analytics.com... this caused waits from 10 to 20 seconds
    Can you give some examples? I haven't seen the problem. Maybe because I'm also using NoScript so very few sites get to run Java Script on my computer.
    Off the top of my head without removing the adblock this one for sure http://www.thestar.com/
    but it's just 1 of many including VH every time I selected a topic from the front page when I had the adblock addin set to allow ads on VH I had to wait a long time before seeing the requested page just like the other sites. After I changed it to not allow ads on VH the effect was different on this site than many others. It loaded the page first and then called the Analytics URL. This means that I didn't have to wait to see the page but it still showed (after the fact) for about 20 seconds that it was attempting to access the ads URL on the browser's bottom info bar.

I've temporarily blocked ads on VH but will unblock it to retest now that I added the direct block on Google-Analytics.

btw) I do have javascripts on so that may matter too but I recall issues with seeing some sites when I turned it off

EDIT:
    I tried to allow ads for VH but the problem returns. Each time I select a a forum topic from the front page there is a long pause before the page loads and I can see the URL on the status bar.
    Last edited by gll99; 24th Jun 2013 at 07:56.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote