VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm learning to use slider but most Youtube review video were focusd on DSLRs. My camcorder is 5 lb, I put in on a 24" Kamerar slider but the result was not satisfied. It's either too difficult to slide my camcorder or couldn't tell the footage difference with or without slider. I was not using long focal length while taking video, does it matter ?
    Anyway, please suggest a slider that works for my 5 lb camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In what way was the "result not satisfied (sic)"? Were you getting jiggle? Were you not happy with the rolling shutter? What framerate were you using?

Yes, focal length matters a great deal!

If "it's too difficult to slide the camcorder", sounds like you didn't buy one to support enough weight. Are you sure your camcorder is <=5 lbs? - Fully loaded (cam + lens + battery + tape/card + accessories + mount adapter)?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's jiggle. I added a cheap and small ball head without handle on the Kamerar slider. When I push and pull the camcorder, it didn't moved smoothly. I guess I picked the wrong slider and ball head for a 5 lbs camcorder. What's the max slider length on one tripod to keep the level balance when moving from one end to others ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A ball head has weight and it moves your imager away from the "fulcrum". Further away = more noticeable jiggle, unless compensated for by extra mass, gyros, etc.

One cannot say what the MAX is without giving all the other values: mass of each & every piece, size/distance/volume of elements.

I notice that even though it (Kamerar 24") is marketed towards DSLRs and is rated to handle <=10lbs, reviewers who had 5Ds stated that they were too heavy for smooth use (and with a std 18-200 lens, that should be <4lbs). So, it seems like it is too lightweight to handle its stated rating.

Doesn't surprise me: you get what you pay for.
    I'd suggest measuring each element & accessory you plan on using (hardware, cabling, media included), combine ALL that and then DOUBLE (or maybe TRIPLE) it. Then, look for a slider that can handle that weight. Only then (assuming you've gotten a sturdily-connected setup), could you be confident of a smooth slide production. GlideTracks is good, but I don't know your budget...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your advice.
    Likely I picked the wrong slider but not all slider providers telling me the supporting weight or the weight on paper is correct until I load the camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!