VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone have any experience/avise/condemnations for non-OEM batteries for the Canon HFxxx camcorders? I'm looking for a BP-819 equivalent that works. I have a wedding to shoot in 2 weeks and my BP-809 only buys me about 70-90min.

I'm looking at, likely Chineese batteries, like:
    http://www.amazon.com/BP-819-Rechargeable-Intelligent-Battery-Camcorders/dp/B003IQNTW4...1608733&sr=1-2

or maybe

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-BP-819/dp/B004THA2OE/ref=sr_1_6?s=e...1610189&sr=1-6

The Wasabi battery looks too good to be true...............

Prices, vendors, and reviews vary wildly. Some actual user experience would help me a ton.
    Last edited by magillagorilla; 25th Jul 2011 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While I don't have that specific battery, I just went thru this a few weeks ago. I found the replacement battery industry rife with fraud. I decided to spend $5 more than the knockoff and buy the actual OEM battery because only the OEM actually reads out the battery's remaining time on my cam's lcd. The knock-offs usually just flash on the lcd when it's within 5 minutes of expiring which is useless to me but may be fine with you. Something as important as a wedding would, to me at least, require top-notch equipment. Just think of the consequences of buying a cheap knock-off that goes bad on you in the middle of a gig. Also, if shipped from China, the 2 weeks delivery usually ends up closer to 2 months. I bought my OEM on eBay but only after asking the seller if it was really an original OEM.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks zoobie, that's sound advise. However the battery in question is $70 for the OEM and $15 for the after market. Seems like quite a gap to me. I know there are some bad after market batteries but some are OK. I just can't sort out the mess.

I may just get an OEM considering I need it in 2 weeks or less. I don't have time to deal with a cut rate vendor.

Any suggestions, otherwise on a non-OEM or a good fast vendor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My battery experience has been: Purchased a Panasonic camera which came with a small Panasonic battery. Purchased a larger Panasonic battery as backup. After a few hours use (over a few months time) the original failed and was replaced by a Duracell.

The second Panasonic battery failed after several more hours use (over a few years time) and the Duracell (with the same use) is still good.

Looked at the fine print on the Panasonic: Matsushita - made in Japan and the Duracell: Duracell a division of Gillette - made in China.

Just spent some time looking for a replacement for the second Panasonic - it seems that allmost all are made in China (even a supposed OEM Panasonic in a package that says Panasonic) by a variety of different companies there. Prices vary from about $15 to $80.

Will probably order another Duracell from the same company as the first one for $4 and hope that it's as good as the first one.

http://www.ebatts.com/panasonic_pv-gs400_camcorder_batteries_part_dr9609.aspx
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Verify,
    That vendor ebatts, do they ship fast (CONUS)? Also does your battery have a chip that is compatible with your camcorder, as in registers with the camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. FWIW, every once in a blue moon I decide to not be a cheap ba***rd. I went ahead and got an official Canon battery from B&H. Although those duracell batts look very interesting. I may try them out when I'm not in a pinch.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own a Canon VIXIA HF S21. I recently purchased (2) Duracell 6hr batteries at a reasonable cost and have had no problems with them Go to ebatts.com, they have been supplying me batteries for all my camcorders for several years now.
    "You have not because you ask not"
    James 4:3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've used the generic chinese made batteries with "premium cells from japan" in a canon hv30 like the wasabis without a problem for several years. i'd buy them again as they sell for 1/4 an oem bat and are as good if not better.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that I've found the definition of CONUS (for the probably few that don't know = Continental US), yes they do. They have the usual shipping options, 2 day (expensive) through 5 day (sometimes free).
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote