VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK I use a pci wireless G network card in my xp machine. The router is in another room obviously. I can get a steady connection (I use a free standing d link antenna) but I can't get it to connect automatically after coming out of standby mode.

It seems to connect on itself after a total power down shutdown.

However if I go into standby mode and wake it up it will not connect on its own. I used to be able to do that. I've gone through all of the properties options in the networks connections and have made sure they are all set to automatically connect. I even made sure the ssid is typed in manually.

The only change I'm aware of recently was changing the wpa password on my router. However I did change that on my pci card settings - obviously I can connect just not automatically.

-----------------

My current solution is to go into the hardware configuration of the pci card itself and select disable. Then after a minute or two when it disables it I go to enable it. Then I can connect properly.

----------------

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times. I was using the original install disc but finally got the only updated driver available from netgear. Again I can get a stable connection but I can't get it to auto connect from standby.

The one thing I haven't done yet is to uninstall the drivers and then phsyically remove the pci card and reinstall it. I haven't wanted to do that but would that do any good? Would it treat it as a first time installation then? I would obviously use the downloaded drivers not the install disc.

Also the weird thing with this is the advanced wireless networks properties that lets you choose the automatic settings is only available while the connection is active. When it is down and I have to go disable and renable the card I can't get to that option. But like I said the automatic connection boxes are selected.

I will uninstall the drivers and physically reinsert the network card if that will do any good. If not please help point me in the right direction. This is odd that I can get a steady connection but only after disabling then reenabling the card after coming out of standy mode.

(fyi windows xp home edition 32bit sp3 on a single core celeron).

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I should mention the reason I need to disable the card after coming out of standby is the wireless icon in the taskbar does not let me scan for networks to connect to when coming out of standby. After disabling then reenabling it I can.

Edit 2 - I can confirm it automatically connects after a full power shutdown. It just won't automatically connect after being in standby mode.
    Last edited by yoda313; 30th Apr 2012 at 12:56.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It most likely is some kind of registry error, have you tried Microsoft's FixIt center? It's not too bad at fixing stuff like that. I've seen another program for fixing network issues, just can't remember what it was. I'll try to track it down and get back to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    It most likely is some kind of registry error, have you tried Microsoft's FixIt center? It's not too bad at fixing stuff like that. I've seen another program for fixing network issues, just can't remember what it was. I'll try to track it down and get back to you.
    Thanks. I'm running a registry cleanup scan in norton 360 right now. Don't know if it will help but can't hurt.

I can't seem to find a networking category in that fix it center. So I went to the support page home page and am looking up auto connect issues now.

Thanks again. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edit - ok norton found 9 issues and resolved them. However none said netgear on them (the brand of the pci card). But that doesn't mean it won't help - also there are several clsid lines that were fixed and they aren't identified by a name.

I'll keep checking microsoft.com. Thanks.

Edit - i've been doing some regular browsing around the net and what I've come across is suggestions to disable the power saving feature. However what i'm using is a desktop and I haven't found any power options for the network card.

I'll keep checking. Any other tips are welcome.
    Last edited by yoda313; 30th Apr 2012 at 13:55.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If all else fails, you could always set the power management to always on, in the cards properties.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    If all else fails, you could always set the power management to always on, in the cards properties.
    Is that an option for desktop pci cards? When I go into device manager in the system tab in control panel I didn't see a power option. I also didn't see a network card tab in the power management window (when you click the power management icon in control panel).

Again this is windows xp sp3.

Thanks again for the help. I can look again but I didn't see any power options for the card.

edit - if it makes a difference I have this selected in the wireless networks tab in the advanced settings when you select the connected networks from the choose a wireless networks window.

networks to access - this is selected - any avaiable network - access point preferred
    checked - automatically connect to non-preferred networks

in preferred networks - (automatic) next to name of the name network
    Last edited by yoda313; 30th Apr 2012 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your firewall may be blocking an ip address related operation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by artistmode View Post
    Your firewall may be blocking an ip address related operation.
    Possibly.

However I haven't made any changes to the firewall before this behavior started. Could it be done by mistake or accident somehow?

Edit- I have no connection stability issues on a cold boot startup. When I shut down totally and power up I get the automatic connection and a stable connection. Its only coming off a standby that it doesn't automatically connect.

For the time being I am forgoing standby mode and just doing a full shutdown each time. That way I'm not dealing with this issue for now.

Please keep the suggestions coming I'll look deeper into this eventually and may finally physically reinstall the card.

Edit 2 - interesting. This afternoon I started up after standby and was doing some non-net stuff and all of a sudden it connected on its own! I wasn't timing it but it seemed to be about 5 minutes or so after I woke it up.

It was nearly instantaneous before this issue cropped up. HOwever once it did act up it wouldn't auto connect at all. Now at least it does after a delay. It has been a steady stable connection since it acquired the lock.

I'm gonna see if this will repeat itself. If it is its a step in the right direction. I just don't know whats up with the delay for the autoconnect.
    Last edited by yoda313; 1st May 2012 at 15:53.
    Quote Quote