VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is very perplexing to me and maybe someone else can figure this out. Listening to organ music on XBox Music app, whether streaming or an MP3 file located locally on my PC I have to set the volume to almost half of full to really appreciate and enjoy the playback. I am using the Windows 8 displayed level of "40" for most playback. The same is true if I use Windows Media Player for files located locally on my PC. Playing the same local files using Pot Player 64 bit if I set the volume to "20" it almost blasts me away, the volume difference seems like more than double. The fidelity is also much better with Pot Player. The music I steam from XBox music is free so not available to play on Pot Player but the local MP3 files behave in the same manner.
    Any idea what I am missing here with playback using the other programs? All of my drivers and Windows Updates are current.
    Thanks in advance,
    J.
    Specs:
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with Media Center
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is simply because of volume normalizer in potplayer. This function is rather common feature nowadays but there is a quality difference. The function exists in your sound card too: Smart Volume. Normalizer should not be used at the same time. Generally a real-time volume normalizer is not suitable for hearing music, especially having a wide dynamaic range like classical.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, you helped me find the magic button:
    Circled:

This fixed it.
    Thanks again.
    J.
    Last edited by jseidel; 1st Sep 2014 at 22:22.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!