VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I got a cable HDMI to DVI to connect the LCD Tv and my PC. But the cable is not sending me signal. I got and tried DVI single cable

and no signal is coming on my TV.

In the store I can find only DVI-D dual link cables, but my PC has DVD-I dual link output, that is little bit different(see that from the ilustrations). Can DVD-D cable help me to replace DVD-I cable, (beacuse I can not find DVD-I cable...) Help please...Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TV make/model number?
    Check your TV manual to find resolutions supported. Most accept only 1920x1080i or 1280x720p for HD. Start with 720x480i to establish port is working.

Almost no LCD-TV sets use dual link.
    The issue is something else.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVD-I adds analog outputs on the left side (as pictured). A DVD-D cable will plug into the DVD-I connector but will only carry the digital data. HDMI doesn't use the analog so it doesn't matter to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HDMI connector (19-pin version) used on consumer video equipment is always single link and corresponds to DVI-D single link.

If you have dual link or analog pins on one end of a DVI-D to HDMI cable they aren't connnected to anything. The extra wires in a HDMI to HDMI cable are used for audio and control. Those wires aren't supported by DVI.

There is a dual link version of HDMI (Type B) but the connector has 29 pins and is wider. It is rarely used.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV
    TV make/model number?
    Check your TV manual to find resolutions supported. Most accept only 1920x1080i or 1280x720p for HD. Start with 720x480i to establish port is working.

No, the problem consists on PC DVI output, nothing with TV output( The TV intput is HDMI).

p.s. My TV is Samsung LCD LNT4661

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions...=LNT4661FX/XAA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1234567
    Originally Posted by edDV
    TV make/model number?

No, the problem consist on PC DVI output, nothing with TV output.

There is no HDMI output on a LCD LNT4661, only HDMI inputs. You need to switch the TV to the HDMI input being used.

The DVI-D output on your graphics card uses only the DVI-D single link pins over a DVI-HDMI cable. The card needs to be set to dual monitor mode and a compatible video size (see TV manual). As a start set second monitor out to 720x480p 60Hz. If that works try 1280x720p or 1920x1080i.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV
    TV make/model number?

No, the problem consist on PC DVI output, nothing with TV output.

There is no HDMI output on .
    Pardon me, input I will like to say...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Page 44-46 of your manual.

The following resolutions are supported by the 4661F.
    The lower ones are for the HDMI port and the upper ones when using a DVI-I to VGA connection.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have a nvidia 8600GT running at 1920x1080 60p hooked up to a Samsung 4665 with a dual link DVI-D->HDMI cable. I have found that several resolutions not listed in the manual will work.

I think he's wrong, but according to budz in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic345553.html#1814525

the DVI->HDMI cable won't work at all if the DVI port doesn't support HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by edDV

The lower ones are for the HDMI port and the upper ones when using a DVI-I to VGA connection.
    At this point my friend, is possible to get the signal from PC to my TV using HDMI-DVI-D cable? My PC-videocard is NVIDIA Geforce 7600 with 2 DVI-I outputs, dual links? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

At this point my friend, is possible to get the signal from PC to my TV using HDMI-DVI-D cable? My PC-videocard is NVIDIA Geforce 7600 with 2 DVI-I outputs, dual links? Thanks!
    Forget dual link, it doesn't apply. The 4661F has no dual link capability.

I have a 7600GT NVidia and feed HD off second port at 1920x1080p for Samsung 4665 or 1080i to my HD CRT or 1366x768p (native) for other LCD-TV sets.

The DVI-D (DVI-I is irrelevant) to HDMI (all single link) cable should work fine so long as the NVidia control panel settings match one of the modes supported by the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by edDV

Forget dual link, it doesn't apply. The 4661F has no dual link capability.

I have a 7600GT NVidia and feed HD off second port at 1920x1080p for Samsung 4665 or 1080i to my HD CRT or 1366x768p (native) for other LCD-TV sets.

The DVI-D (DVI-I is irrelevant) to HDMI (all single link) cable should work fine so long as the NVidia control panel settings match one of the modes supported by the TV.
    My friend. I am telling you that beacuse I tried HDMI-DVD-D( single link) cable and I has bad result, so no signal to my TV. Now I find on the store HDMI-DVI-D dual link cable, and I do not know if it's gonna work or not.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If single link doesn't work, dual link won't either. The extra six pins of the dual link DVI connector are not connected to anything at the HDMI end.

Note: there is a dual link HDMI connector but it doesn't appear on any consumer device. I've never seen one but it has 29 pins instead of 19.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo
    If single link doesn't work, dual link won't either. The extra six pins of the dual link DVI connector are not connected to anything at the HDMI end.
    Look. From the book of Samsung TV, is sure that HDMI to DVI cable is one possibility, of connecting TV and PC. (The second way is VGA to DVI cable). So, I am not agree with the opinion that HDMI to DVI cable can not send the signal from PC to my TV. So, teoriacally speaking, you are wrong, beacuse the book of Samsung tells that. The real problem is that what kind of HDMI-DVI cable, is possible to do that, or what kind od DVI cable output is near to my DVI-I dual link PC output.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem is that your video card is not DVI-D ,it's DVI-A/I which is analog and that's why you get no picture .
    Now if you use a DVI-A-I to component video cable like in the link below then you will get a picture.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023504&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1234567, Don't be silly. Of course it's possible to use a DVI->HDMI cable to connect a computer graphics card to an HDTV. We all know this. Both edDV and I use them with our Samsung HDTVs.

The point is that if your single link DVI->HDMI cable isn't working a dual link DVI->HDMI cable won't either. The problem is not single vs dual link DVI. But if you're not convinced just buy the cable and find out.

louthewiz may be correct -- the second DVI port on your graphics card may only carry the analog data (DVI-A).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo
    1234567, Don't be silly. Of course it's possible to use a DVI->HDMI cable to connect a computer graphics card to an HDTV. We all know this. Both edDV and I use them with our Samsung HDTVs.

The point is that if your single link DVI->HDMI cable isn't working a dual link DVI->HDMI cable won't either. The problem is not single vs dual link DVI. But if you're not convinced just buy the cable and find out.

louthewiz may be correct -- the second DVI port on your graphics card may only carry the analog data (DVI-A).
    Ok, tell me. Why my LCD monitor, is getting the signal form my PC, from DVI PC output, and the LCD TV is not geeting the signal from the same PC? Do you understand? Something is missing me, my friend...
    Anyway thanks for your help. The best thing maybe is to buy the cable and te try.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by 1234567
    Ok, tell me. Why my LCD monitor, is getting the signal form my PC, from DVI PC output, and the LCD TV is not geeting the signal from the same PC?
    I don't know but it has NOTHING to do with single link vs dual link DVI->HDMI cabling. Maybe you just have a bad cable?

Try using the HDTV as your main display. Turn off the TV, connect the HDTV to the first DVI output (the one that is currently connected to your monitor), turn on the TV, then turn on the computer. The computer should detect the TV and use it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Ok, tell me. Why my LCD monitor, is getting the signal form my PC, from DVI PC output, and the LCD TV is not geeting the signal from the same PC?
    I don't know but it has NOTHING to do with single link vs dual link DVI->HDMI cabling. Maybe you just have a bad cable?

Try using the HDTV as your main display. Turn off the TV, connect the HDTV to the first DVI output (the one that is currently connected to your monitor), turn on the TV, then turn on the computer. The computer should detect the TV and use it.
    This the DVI pichture

From cable that I got before, are mising 9 pins from central (blu part) part of the block, that means less data. See the difference beetwen, the 3rd and 4rth types of DVI from this videolink

So probably the type of DVI output cable, that means the number of pins, are causing this problem. I will go to get the cable, to see that if is gona help me
    Quote Quote  
  20. You mean six pins are missing. But even if you get a dual link DVI->HDMI cable those six pins will not be connected to anything at the HDMI end.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo
    You mean six pins are missing. But even if you get a dual link DVI->HDMI cable those six pins will not be connected to anything at the HDMI end.
    6 pins, are digital data pins
    Quote Quote  
  22. Which have no use on a 19 pin HDMI connector. There will be no wires from those six pins on the DVI connector to the HDMI connector. There is nothing to connect them to. There are no equivalent data pins on the HDMI end.

DVI pintouts:
    Pin Signal Description
    1 T.M.D.S DATA 2-
    2 T.M.D.S DATA 2+
    3 T.M.D.S DATA 2/4 SHIELD
    4 T.M.D.S DATA 4-
    5 T.M.D.S DATA 4+
    6 DDC CLOCK
    7 DDC DATA
    8 ANALOG VERT. SYNC
    9 T.M.D.S DATA 1-
    10 T.M.D.S DATA 1+
    11 T.M.D.S DATA 1/3 SHIELD
    12 T.M.D.S DATA 3-
    13 T.M.D.S DATA 3+
    14 +5V POWER
    15 GND
    16 HOT PLUG DETECT
    17 T.M.D.S DATA 0-
    18 T.M.D.S DATA 0+
    19 T.M.D.S DATA 0/5 SHIELD
    20 T.M.D.S DATA 5-
    21 T.M.D.S DATA 5+
    22 T.M.D.S CLOCK SHIELD
    23 T.M.D.S CLOCK+
    24 T.M.D.S CLOCK-
    C1 ANALOG RED
    C2 ANALOG GREEN
    C3 ANALOG BLUE
    C4 ANALOG HORZ SYNC
    C5 ANALOG GROUND

HDMI pinouts
    Pin Signal Description
    1 TMDS Data2+
    2 TMDS Data2 Shield
    3 TMDS Data2–
    4 TMDS Data1+
    5 TMDS Data1 Shield
    6 TMDS Data1–
    7 TMDS Data0+
    8 TMDS Data0 Shield
    9 TMDS Data0–
    10 TMDS Clock+
    11 TMDS Clock Shield
    12 TMDS Clock–
    13 CEC
    14 Reserved N.C. on device
    15 SCL
    16 SDA
    17 DDC/CEC Ground
    18 +5 V Power
    19 Hot Plug Detect

There is nowhere to send DATA3, DATA4, and DATA5. They are of no use in the 19 pin type A HDMI connection.

I give up.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Which have no use on a 19 pin HDMI connector. There will be no wires from those six pins on the DVI connector to the HDMI connector. There is nothing to connect them to. There are no equivalent data pins on the HDMI end.

DVI pintouts:
    Pin Signal Description
    1 T.M.D.S DATA 2-
    2 T.M.D.S DATA 2+
    3 T.M.D.S DATA 2/4 SHIELD
    4 T.M.D.S DATA 4-
    5 T.M.D.S DATA 4+
    6 DDC CLOCK
    7 DDC DATA
    8 ANALOG VERT. SYNC
    9 T.M.D.S DATA 1-
    10 T.M.D.S DATA 1+
    11 T.M.D.S DATA 1/3 SHIELD
    12 T.M.D.S DATA 3-
    13 T.M.D.S DATA 3+
    14 +5V POWER
    15 GND
    16 HOT PLUG DETECT
    17 T.M.D.S DATA 0-
    18 T.M.D.S DATA 0+
    19 T.M.D.S DATA 0/5 SHIELD
    20 T.M.D.S DATA 5-
    21 T.M.D.S DATA 5+
    22 T.M.D.S CLOCK SHIELD
    23 T.M.D.S CLOCK+
    24 T.M.D.S CLOCK-
    C1 ANALOG RED
    C2 ANALOG GREEN
    C3 ANALOG BLUE
    C4 ANALOG HORZ SYNC
    C5 ANALOG GROUND

HDMI pinouts
    Pin Signal Description
    1 TMDS Data2+
    2 TMDS Data2 Shield
    3 TMDS Data2–
    4 TMDS Data1+
    5 TMDS Data1 Shield
    6 TMDS Data1–
    7 TMDS Data0+
    8 TMDS Data0 Shield
    9 TMDS Data0–
    10 TMDS Clock+
    11 TMDS Clock Shield
    12 TMDS Clock–
    13 CEC
    14 Reserved N.C. on device
    15 SCL
    16 SDA
    17 DDC/CEC Ground
    18 +5 V Power
    19 Hot Plug Detect

There is nowhere to send DATA3, DATA4, and DATA5. They are of no use in the 19 pin type A HDMI connection.

I give up.
    No my friend. Is not problem of the pins etc. etc. I got the new cable, double link, and I got the same result. No signal from Pc to my TV!!! The customer service of Samsung told me on te phone, that the problem is connected with the video resolution. The cable HDMI-DVI, and can send the signal. Something with the resolution. See that page...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/02/08/how-to-connect-your-pc-to-your-hdtv/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think your problem is in your display card settings.

Regardless, you have a second option using your DVI-I to VGA adapter and a VGA cable to the 4661 PC port. The page I gave you in the manual tells you how to set both ports and the resolutions the PC display card must send.
    The 4661F will allow 1920x1080p over either cable.

DVI-I to VGA adapter. Your adapter may have more pins on the DVI-I end but only the pins shown are connected for VGA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For a DVI-I to HDMI cable, only the DVI-D single link pins are connected at the DVI-I end. At the HDMI end, nothing is connected for the audio/control pins.

Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by edDV

Regardless, you have a second option using your DVI-I to VGA adapter and a VGA cable to the 4661 PC port. The page I gave you in the manual tells you how to set both ports and the resolutions the PC display card must send.
    Yes my friend, you are right. The CRS from Samsung told me exactly what you told me. The problem consists on resolution. The CRS from Samsung told me that this HD Samsung TV can get the signal form PC at 1920x1080p or over !!! This is the point!!!

So, how can I change the resolution at 1920x1080p in Windowa Vista? Because your suggestion is based on Windows XP. This my real problem now...why I can not get the signal form PC.

One more thing: If I will chenge the resolution to 1920x1080p over, wiil this change will affect my PC monitor? I am gonna lose the signal on my Pc monitor? Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Yes my friend, you are right. The CRS from Samsung told me exactly what you told me. The problem consists on resolution. The CRS from Samsung told me that this HD Samsung TV can get the signal form PC at 1920x1080p or over !!! This is the point!!!

So, how can I change the resolution at 1920x1080p in Windowa Vista? Because your suggestion is based on Windows XP. This my real problem now...why I can not get the signal form PC.

One more thing: If I will chenge the resolution to 1920x1080p over, wiil this change will affect my PC monitor? I am gonna lose the signal on my Pc monitor? Thanks a lot.
    NOT over 1920x1080. Read the manual. 1920x1080 is max. DVI-D single link also maxes at 1920x1080 and that is also the native resolution of of the 4661F.

You need to hire someone that knows how to set a computer display card to dual monitor mode and set output resolutions. Each card is different once you get past the generic screen and into advanced settings. We've already told you the display settings are under desktop right click - personalize.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Displaly resolution setup in Vista is exactly the same as in XP.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Displaly resolution setup in Vista is exactly the same as in XP.
    No, sir. After opening display settings, I can change the resolution no more than 1280*1024, that is the maximum.
    Quote Quote  
  30. That is the maximum for your current monitor. When the HDTV is detected by Windows you will be able to change its resolution to 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote