VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Subtitles in a video appear in a PC media player (ie VLC) when ticking 'Show...'. The subtitles were not a separate file that came with the MKV video, they're already in there and can be shown or hidden in a PC media player. I want to burn this video to DVD format, but I need to know if the subtitles will be an option when viewing the DVD on a standalone DVD player (recent model). I just burn stuff for a friend and do not have, nor ever had, a DVD player, so I don't know if turning on subtitles will be an option for him when he tries watching the DVD on his DVD player.

If it isn't an option in modern DVD players, how to do I get the (show or hide) subtitles that are already in a video to appear in VirtualDub, so I can dub it with the subtitles showing permanently?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ALL dvd players can play dvd-video with switchable subtitles. Use for example convertxtodvd, avstodvd. If they can't load the subtitle directly from the mkv then extract the subs with mkvextractgui2 first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    ALL dvd players can play dvd-video with switchable subtitles. Use for example convertxtodvd, avstodvd. If they can't load the subtitle directly from the mkv then extract the subs with mkvextractgui2 first.
    So, I tried ConvertXtoDVD 5 to burn the DVD. I opened Default Settings > Subtitles > and, in that box under Default Subtitle language is a drop-down, from which I selected English. Then, playing back the burned DVD just now by opening the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the data folder, then right click > subtitle > sub-track 1 (English), the English subtitles do appear.

I guess I won't know if my friend will be able to turn on the English subtitles when playing the DVD in his player until he actually tries it.

Are you saying that DVD players have a button on their remote that will turn on the subtitles? Did I do the right things to make that an option for him?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All DVD players have a button for switchable subtitles,all your friend has to do is click the button as long as he/she knows where it is.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!