VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1) I just purchased the HDPVR 2 last week and was able to capture my first recording (from Shaw Direct HDDSR 600 satellite box.) It was an NFL game between New England and Minnesota. In WinTV I used the scheduler to capture the game while I was watching it. However, I noticed that whenever I changed the channel, it would record that as well. Is there any way to record on a single channel as I am watching TV even if I want to change the channel while I am watching? Does it require setting up the IR blaster?

2) Can I used the HDPVR to record my laptop screen on the same laptop I am storing the video? I have the HDPVR connected to my laptop by USB. Can I capture from my screen if I connect the HDPVR to my laptop via HDMI as well?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TB2XSBW View Post
    1) I just purchased the HDPVR 2 last week and was able to capture my first recording (from Shaw Direct HDDSR 600 satellite box.) It was an NFL game between New England and Minnesota. In WinTV I used the scheduler to capture the game while I was watching it. However, I noticed that whenever I changed the channel, it would record that as well. Is there any way to record on a single channel as I am watching TV even if I want to change the channel while I am watching? Does it require setting up the IR blaster?

2) Can I used the HDPVR to record my laptop screen on the same laptop I am storing the video? I have the HDPVR connected to my laptop by USB. Can I capture from my screen if I connect the HDPVR to my laptop via HDMI as well?
    1.) No and no. If you want to watch one channel while recording a different channel with the HD-PVR 2 and not capture it as well, you need a second sat receiver.

2.) Yes, but if you clone the desktop, it will be more difficult to control the recording process than if you recorded on a different PC. If you clone the desktop, you have to run the capture software on the same desktop that you are capturing. If you extend the desktop and record the secondary monitor (the secondary monitor is the HDMI connection feeding the HD-PVR 2), you will only be able to see what is displayed on the secondary monitor inside the capture software's viewer, unless you use the HD-PVR 2's passthrough to connect a second monitor.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Sep 2014 at 00:46.
    Quote Quote  
  3. One more question.

I heard that capturing 1080i video from a cable or satellite box using the HDPVR2 produces interlaced video and that it would be unwatchable, and that I would have to deinterlace it. Below is a video I captured from my satellite in 1080i and it looks pretty good. Doesn't look interlaced or unwatchable to me. Is it just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh2g4dTDiDc
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more question.

I heard that capturing 1080i video from a cable or satellite box using the HDPVR2 produces interlaced video and that it would be unwatchable, and that I would have to deinterlace it. Below is a video I captured from my satellite in 1080i and it looks pretty good. Doesn't look interlaced or unwatchable to me. Is it just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh2g4dTDiDc
    Interlacing would only be a problem for upload to the Internet or for specific devices/software that don't support interlaced video. Otherwise 1080i video shouldn't be a problem. As a mater of fact, I watch it every day via my cable box or TV tuner. All you need is a TV that supports 1080i input or a software player for a PC that uses a decent deinterlacing algorithm.

I can only watch YouTube video at 480p resolution because I don't have enough bandwidth for HD. Most people use 720p for HD uploads to YouTube, although it looks like 1080p is now allowed. YouTube only supports progressive video and converts from interlaced to progressive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Sep 2014 at 17:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm not complaining at all. In fact I'm very glad no further editing is required. I was just curious because I was told video captured from 1080i source would be unwatchable. I even saw a video on YouTube from someone who captured 1080i video and it was interlaced and indeed unwatchable. Mine looks very good though.

Strange.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not complaining at all. In fact I'm very glad no further editing is required. I was just curious because I was told video captured from 1080i source would be unwatchable. I even saw a video on YouTube from someone who captured 1080i video and it was interlaced and indeed unwatchable. Mine looks very good though.

Strange.
    It depend on the video player and codec
    In most cases the Windows Media Player is very bad with 480i,1080i source make it un-suitable to watch because doesn't always de-interlaced properly
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    I'm not complaining at all. In fact I'm very glad no further editing is required. I was just curious because I was told video captured from 1080i source would be unwatchable. I even saw a video on YouTube from someone who captured 1080i video and it was interlaced and indeed unwatchable. Mine looks very good though.

Strange.
    In most cases the Windows Media Player is very bad with 480i,1080i source make it un-suitable to watch because doesn't always de-interlaced properly
    I play my videos in Windows Media Player though, and they looked exactly like that youtube video I posted. Absolutely no issues. Great picture quality and no sign of interlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I play my videos in Windows Media Player though, and they looked exactly like that youtube video I posted. Absolutely no issues. Great picture quality and no sign of interlacing.
    This is actually a well-known problem with Windows Media Player, which I use for testing the DVDs that I author before I burn to disc. The combing is generally random and infrequent, but some people are greatly bothered by it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    This is actually a well-known problem with Windows Media Player, which I use for testing the DVDs that I author before I burn to disc. The combing is generally random and infrequent, but some people are greatly bothered by it.
    I've used Windows Media Player with 6 different videos captured by the Hauppauge HDPVR 2, one of them being over 20 minutes, and haven't noticed any combing. In fact, I prefer it over VLC because the picture quality is far superior.

I'll probably stick to WMP since it seems to be working well for me, but what other media players are worth trying?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I've used Windows Media Player with 6 different videos captured by the Hauppauge HDPVR 2, one of them being over 20 minutes, and haven't noticed any combing. In fact, I prefer it over VLC because the picture quality is far superior.

I'll probably stick to WMP since it seems to be working well for me, but what other media players are worth trying?
    Media Player Classic Home Cinema and Pot Player are also pretty good. They have a multitude of settings for power users, but the default settings are fine for most people. For the most part, average users only need to worry about setting the aspect ratio correctly and turning on de-interlacing when it is needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Strange.
    I under that but that wasn't the point like said it all depend codec so be careful of other tool you install all take one to make not work right.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I noticed after recording football games, using either Hauppauge Capture or WinTV, it freezes and stops recording just after the 2 hour mark. Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if the problem can be fixed in Hauppauge Capture or WinTV. I tried them both, and had other problems with them using the Colossus. I decided to use ArcSoft ShowBiz and NextPVR instead. The HD-PVR 2 works with both of those too.

I don't know if any of the free guide services that are compatible with NextPVR and available to me in the US include your provider. You might have to pay for Schedules Direct guide service to have the ability to use NextPVR's program guide for Shaw Satellite in Canada. I know Schedules Direct includes Canadian TV service providers, but I don't know if there are gaps in their coverage. If you are interested you could email Schedules Direct to find out if they offer a program guide that would work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Apparently it might be due to overheating? The HDPVR 2 has a big grill on the bottom thats covered up when sitting in its normal position. I heard that a possible fix may be to place it on its side so that the grill is not covered up.

I assume NextPVR worked better for you? What problems did you have with Hauppauge Capture or WinTV?

BTW I don't really need to the guide services so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently it might be due to overheating? The HDPVR 2 has a big grill on the bottom thats covered up when sitting in its normal position. I heard that a possible fix may be to place it on its side so that the grill is not covered up.

I assume NextPVR worked better for you? What problems did you have with Hauppauge Capture or WinTV?

BTW I don't really need to the guide services so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Hauppauge Capture made recordings that pixelated terribly when I played them. Maybe it doesn't work well with the Colossus when using HDMI for video and audio, or maybe it was something else. The ability to use Hauppauge Capture isn't crucial to me, so I didn't want to take a chance on messing up a setup that works well with other programs in the process of trying to figure out if there was a way to make Hauppauge Capture work.

The main problem with using WinTV 7 for timed recordings was that I had to use the Colossus IR receiver/IR blaster and remote control. NextPVR allows me to use my MCE remote and its IR receiver, plus I can use FireWire to change channels on my cable box.

I have only used NextPVR to record via its Program Guide. I'm not sure how well it works for recording if the guide isn't set up. I use Arcsoft Showbiz if I'm recording missed episodes of TV shows my cable provider makes available via On Demand, where NextPVR's Program Guide isn't useful. Showbiz has a stop timer, but no start timer, so I have to start the capture manually. This isn't a problem because On Demand programming has to be started manually too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I used WinTV to record another 3+ hour NFL game. What I did this time was:

1. I turned the Hauppauge HDPVR 2 on its side so that the underneath grille was not covered and there would be no overheating

2. I set the priority of WinTV, along with other Hauppauge services, to high.

It worked perfectly and I had no more freezing after the 2 hour mark.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!