VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Everyone,

I have a short mono audio segment that has someone sighing or panting in it with a LOT of background noise (wind and background music mostly - it is from a movie).

I want to separate the panting sound and the background much more than it is now. It's a mono recording, not good quality and the panting isn't much louder than the background, so I don't except anything close to perfection. I "just" want a big improvement: much louder panting with the background intact, or a significantly reduced background with no strange sounds.

Now I've tried a few softwares using a noise pattern. I believe this method works primarily with frequencies: it filters out what can be found in the pattern. Is there a software that can use the noise pattern more intelligently than the others? I've tried Goldwave 5.14, Adobe Audition 1.5, Audacity 2.1.0, and Nero Wave Editor 12 so far. The results with the first two were poor. Audacity was better, and Nero Wave Editor's was the best. Nero seemed to take the volume level of the pattern into account too (not just the affected frequencies). However, it's still not good enough. The contrast between the panting and the background is satisfactory, and the panting sounds fine, but those strange alien sounds remained in the background are no good. And I've used only 50% reduction. Can anyone suggest something better? I'm a noob in noise filtering actually.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Filtering isn't going to do you much good here. I can't even tell which sounds are supposed to be panting. Unless this is evidence in a legal case, why not just fake it? Get a microphone and record your own panting sounds and cut them into another track on an NLE or a DAW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read the part of my post that discusses "SoundSoap" in this thread here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/371929-Transferring-Vinyl-and-Cassettes-Crackling-H...=1#post2393891

Good luck!!

Rina
    "When the going gets weird..., the weird turn pro."
    ~Hunter S. Thompson
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panting ? It sounds like some one sneezing to me. The clip is so short, perhaps a longer sample would help.
    Quote Quote