VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im trying to burn some movie files I have, that are in the current format .avi, I use Nero 7 and when I add the files and go through all options and burn it. The sound ends up being about 5 seconds delayed.. however, when i play it on my computer its in time.

Im not entirely sure why its creating this delay.. but any help would be muchly appreciated. My guess would have to be when its converting this problem is happening..

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    try convert with something else first, like convertxtodvd or the old free divxtodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i do that, it says the header is damaged.. when i used DivxtoDVD it converted it adn the time was insync, however.. it will glich every 2-5 seconds and make it choppy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It might also be some corrupted frames in the video. VirtualDub Mod can 'Scan video stream for errors' and may also be able to fix them, along with the header problem by re-encoding the file. It will also tell you immediately if you have VBR audio. Then you should be able to convert it without sync problems. ConvertXToDVD can handle some VBR audio, but not a corrupted video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i tried to open the file with virtualdubMob it said this..

"VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI (audio stream 1).
    The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 2141ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate 129.5 =+ 11.8kbps)

Do you still want to rewrite the header? YES/NO

i said YES

then it says
    "-o- Couldn't locate decompressor for format "XVID" (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    as well with TMPG ENC, when i try to open the file it says it unsupported..

and im not sure as to how i can get the .wav file from the .avi
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I mean about VDM telling you about VBR audio. OK, not a major problem. Check this guide: https://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=837#837 for VD Mod and VBR audio. You can use the WAV and add it back in (Add Audio) and convert it to MP3 CBR with VDM, them mux it with the video. Then you should be able to convert it with no problems.

If I am converting to DVD for a movie, I use the WAV and ffmpeggui and convert it to AC3. I then put that into the authoring program, along with the new MPEG-2 encoded video.

The 'couldn't locate decompresser' tells me you need to DL and install the Xvid codec.

VDM or VD is well worth learning how to use. It has a lot of filters and is one of the better AVI editors. Lots of guides available. The 'Swiss Army Knife' for AVI. It can also frameserve the edited/filtered video directly to an encoder, so you don't have to generate a edited file to take up hard drive space.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again Red,

Okay here I was thinking I could get on to the next learning process when I got the dreaded:

VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream 1)....

Could you direct to a guide that explains how to fix this - step-by-step - Too many of the responses I'm finding on the forum assume I know the lingo so when they give instructions I don't know what they're suggesting I do next.

I found a step-by-step telling me to:
    - file>open video (my file has 2 channels)
    - select audio>full processing
    - set sampling rate
    -* option to choose compression to mp3 - dunno do I ?
    -* yep I installed the lame encoder - don't know why !
    - save wave
    - kept virtualdub mod open (& installed virtual dub too)
    - NOW WHAT ???

THANKS !!
    Cat
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger's method should work fine. That's what I use with ConvertXToDVD when it runs into a video with MP3 VBR audio it can't handle. If you were to use a encoder that accepts elemental streams (Separate video and audio files) like TMPGEnc, you just select the video and the separate WAV audio and encode with both to a single MPEG-2 file.

Other options are to put the WAV back in VDM and re-encode the WAV to a MP3 CBR audio file and let VDM mux them back together. This wouldn't be much use unless you are having trouble playing back the AVI and the MP3 audio on a standalone player that doesn't like VBR.

If I am encoding a AVI with VBR to a DVD format, I convert the outputted WAV file to AC3 with ffmpeggui and use that when I author the video to DVD. I encode just the video to MPEG-2 and let the authoring program join them back together.

And if your WAV audio needs adjusting or filtering, you can use the freeware audio editor Audacity to make the adjustments, then output as a WAV or MP3 file.
    Quote Quote