VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all,
    first time poster, long time visitor.

I have an existing .MOV file which has been encoded using Apple ProRes 442 (HQ), the person who encoded it added the AC3 file however the channels have not been assigned.

I want to mux the AC3 file, which has the channels on it to the .MOV file, I have tried using FCP7, FFMPEGX, StreamClip, and AVIDemux to no avail.

I have done it in Premier Pro CS6, however, The original file size was 6GB and it was 138.52 Mbit/s. However using Premier Pro CS6 to add the AC3 and using Apple ProRes 442 (HQ) to encode it made the file size 8.2GB and 175.27 Mbit/s, and the video become jittery as I beleve the video was not able to load quick enough to play.

Is there a way to mux the AC3 into the .MOV file that I have not tried, or am i not using the programs correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

PS. the title should read: Muxing an existing .MOV file with a 5.1 AC3 file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our mac section.

Maybe Quicktime pro?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Moving you to our mac section.

Maybe Quicktime pro?
    is quicktime pro, the one that come the Mac? or do i need to buy it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Simon_ View Post
    is quicktime pro, the one that come the Mac? or do i need to buy it?
    QuickTime Pro is extended functionality for QuickTime 7. You buy it as a registration key for £20.00. It allows adding streams (aka tracks), deleting streams, export functionality, and more.
    QuickTime 7 may or may not be present on your newer system, depending on how you upgraded to the current version of the OS.
    Ever since QuickTime X (v10) came out, QuickTime 7 has been relocated to the Utilities folder. They co-exist quite well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have, QuickTime Player Version 10.2 (603.17)

is there a way i could do this in FFMPEG?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have QuickTime Player Version 10.2 (603.17)
    You could download QuickTime 7, even if you have QuickTime 10, using the link in my previous post. You'd still need the Pro registration, though, if want to use QT7 for exchanging audio streams.

Originally Posted by Simon_
    is there a way i could do this in FFMPEG?
    Sure.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i movieprores.mov -i betteraudio.ac3 -map 0:v -map 1:a -f mov -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mov
    Last edited by Case; 26th Aug 2013 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    ok, so i have installed FFMPEG, where should the files be located to just call appon them like you have? on the desktop?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, so i have installed FFMPEG, where should the files be located to just call appon them like you have? on the desktop?
    You could specify the path for each file, but the default (i.e. without needing a path) is your home folder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much, It worked, however i have a question, why is it that the format info has changed and the data rate.
    is there any way to make it the same? (ie, the video info/ copy the exact video data)

Please see the images below from QT movie inspector. on the left is the new video, and on the right is the original video
    Image Attached Images    
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why is it that the format info has changed
    I suppose some meta data has been lost that gives a human readable name for the video codec.
    As you have found, the player doesn't care much for that.
    Apple ProRes comes in a few flavors, each with their own fourcc designation.

and the data rate.
    The data rate mentioned is for the whole container, i.e. video + audio. As the audio has changed, the data rate is different as well, because of that.

Is there any way to make it the same? (ie, the video info/ copy the exact video data)
    Perhaps the ffmpeg documentation has some options to copy or set that meta data, but that would need further research.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Quote Quote