VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I have been considering getting into the world of Bluray ripping/burning and would like to get some info on what I might need in order to run smoothly while ripping/burning Bluray movies. I don't know if my current system can handle it so please let me know what you guys think about my current rig. I'd prefer not to build a new computer due to cash restrictions, but if I need to then let me know what you guys think would be a decent one at low cost.

Below is my current set up:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115016)

2GB of PC800 ram

MSI G965M-F LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130079&cm_re=g965m-_-13-130-079-_-Product)

And i'm just using the onboard video and audio of the motherboard.

What do you guys think? Can my system handle Bluray?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can't seem to find anything much about the onboard graphics on that mobo. But given the age of it, I'd bet it's not up to the job.

OTOH, it appears the board has a PCIe x16 slot, so get a video card with hardware acceleration (DXVA) and you're in business.

[EDIT] Look at my computer specs, they're minimal but can do the job. You need a BD drive, of course, either reader or writer. (With just a BD-ROM, you can still rip and convert to AVCHD for burning to DVDR). The video card doesn't have to be expensive at all, mine was ~$30 bucks.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 27th Oct 2010 at 23:28.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I can just buy a better video card and be ok? Will my onboard video from my motherboard just turn off once a videocard is installed? Is my processor fast enough?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by orbital517 View Post
    So I can just buy a better video card and be ok? Will my onboard video from my motherboard just turn off once a videocard is installed? Is my processor fast enough?
    1) I'm pretty sure.
    2) You may have to go into the BIOS on bootup to reset the video.
    3) Yeah, it's slightly more powerful than mine.

To elaborate on #3: A DXVA capable card will take considerable load off the CPU; this applies to playback only of course. For encoding, more power would be better, but you'll get by okay. I do my encodes overnight with BDRB.

Others may have advice for you as well. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    For ripping and burning I would think it is fine as it is. For playback you'll need better graphics as already mentioned. Is your monitor HDCP compliant? If not, you'll need to run AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey in the background when playing the original blu ray disks.

Most modern motherboards will be able to detect the PCI-E video card when you put it in, and allow you to use it without having to adjust settings in the bios.

Edit: fritzi93 is quite right to mention length of time needed to encode high def material with this slow a processor. You can't get in a hurry if you need to compress the video, not with this old a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info so far. Now i'm not interested in playback whatsoever though. The only thing I would want to do is backup bluray discs (ripping, then burning). If that is the case, would I still need a video card you think?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your dual core CPU will be able to play blu-ray rips without GPU acceleration. If you're just ripping and burning any old computer will do. If you're re-encoding your current CPU will do but a faster processer will be... faster, obviously.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    For ripping and burning I would think it is fine as it is. For playback you'll need better graphics as already mentioned. Is your monitor HDCP compliant? If not, you'll need to run AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey in the background when playing the original blu ray disks.

Most modern motherboards will be able to detect the PCI-E video card when you put it in, and allow you to use it without having to adjust settings in the bios.

Edit: fritzi93 is quite right to mention length of time needed to encode high def material with this slow a processor. You can't get in a hurry if you need to compress the video, not with this old a computer.

My monitor is a 24" Samsung that i've only had for about 2 years but i'm not sure if it's HDCP. I'll have to check that when I get home. If you think my system specs is fast enough to handle just ripping and burning then i'll give it a shot. Do you think adding 2GB of PC800 RAM would help out some more? And I forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 32bit ultimate if that makes any difference at all.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of your replies have been EXTREMELY HELPFUL so far and I do appreciate all of your help. I've been coming here for years and think everyone's knowledge here is amazing. Hands down the best site for information. Again, thanks so much for all of your replies!!! I'm gonna order a blu-ray burner now, and hopefully get it by next week and give it all a shot.

Any recommendations on Blu-ray burners? I see one on Newegg for $80 for an LG 10X burner. Any thoughts or opinions on that? Also, any particular brand discs that are better for burning then others?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I should think you'd want to preview your results occasionally before burning to disc.

Your CPU is only slightly more powerful than mine and I can tell you that with hardware acceleration turned off, my rig will stutter occasionally during 1080p playback with both TME and MPCHC.

Again, a video card that can do the job can be had for less than $30. But yeah, you can get by with what you have, I suppose.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The most recommended blu ray burner is the Pioneer 205, soon to be replaced by the 206, but they are expensive. Many of us chose the LG's just because they are much less expensive and still do a decent job.

I'd stick to Verbatim for good quality BD-R disks. The Japanese made media is also good, from Sony and Panasonic, but very expensive in comparison. If LG is still sending out a BD-RE disk with their drives, don't trust it with anything important. There have been a lot of complaints about the 25gb BD-RE disks under the LG brand.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by orbital517 View Post
    My monitor is a 24" Samsung that i've only had for about 2 years but i'm not sure if it's HDCP.
    After ripping you don't need HDCP -- all copy protections will be gone. A 2 year old monitor almost certainly support it though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look for an Nvidia display card with "PureVideo HD" or ATI card with "AVIVO HD". Those will decode most h.264, MPeg2 and VC-1 streams in hardware on the card and not load the CPU. A good DXVA player is MPCHC.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote