VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Howdy! I've got a PAL DVD that's been converted from an NTSC source. I'm looking to decrease the ghosting and interlacing as much as possible.

The files are encoded at about 750-800mb per 20 minutes of video with two stereo audio tracks. I'd also like to preserve as much quality as possible without bloating the file size.

The series has some dust/scratches over it too. I don't care as much about this, but if there's any handy-dandy ways I can decrease them without sacrificing quality, feel free to share the information!

If anyone could give their suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Video sample below:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?pld5dxpsykt9yui
    Last edited by OngekibouRekka; 3rd Dec 2011 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should provide a sample of the original MPEG data. Use DgIndex to mark a clip and demux it to an M2V file. But here's the clip after:

AviSource("PR.avi", audio=false)
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    RemoveSpots()
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Dec 2011 at 09:45.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, I've edited my first post to include the m2v file instead. Thanks for the assist, even in avi that footage is noticeably clearer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Pretty much the same script:

Mpeg2Source("PRSample.d2v", CPU=2)
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    RemoveSpots()
    That's a tough shot with the low contrast and flashing lights. SRestore's ghost removal will be more noticeable on other shots. It could also probably do with a little noise reduction and sharpening.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo; What happened to the closed caption logo in the first file you uploaded? The drop shadow has gone.

Did RemoveSpots() do that?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    jagabo; What happened to the closed caption logo in the first file you uploaded? The drop shadow has gone.

Did RemoveSpots() do that?
    No, RemoveSpots() didn't do that. The m2v file had the logo starting later. Maybe it wasn't exactly the same clip (one from the main movie, one from a promo, or some such).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Different source. It's the first shot of the opening, so I just picked a random VOB each time.

That piece is footage is probably the oldest, and from a lower-quality source to begin with (since the show is a mash of Japanese and American sources). Hopefully this'll suffice as better sample footage:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i4qjoc813nicdad

Same procedure?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you can use the same script. You don't need RemoveSpots() on that one though.
    Quote Quote