VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

I do not like to use such pack codecs, because many people told that they can mess up my system. :C

But, I'm want to preview flv files on my Windows Explorer (my OS is Windows 7 / 32 bits) and one of the methods that can maybe solve this is using K-Lite Codec Pack sofware ( or similars).

It's possible to install only specifical elements? For example: only flv or 3GP extensions enabled?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try using FLV Splitter. I'm not sure if it supports the preview function in Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How about just downloading and installing the FLV codec, since this is the ONLY thing you wish to achieve, why would not this be the obvious choice?
    Quote Quote  
  4. He will still need an FLV reader/splitter. Otherwise Windows won't even know an FLV file is an A/V file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why not just install ffdshow. Choose Windows Media Player for preview et voila !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    It's possible to install only specifical elements? For example: only flv or 3GP extensions enabled?
    Yes, you can choose exactly which codecs are installed, and how each is configured.

Just choose the custom or expert or whatever the option is called rather than the default and you can make your choice.
    K-Lite includes "Codec Tweak Tool" and a set of "Codec Config icons" (for each individual codec) to change your options after the initial install.

But the default is pretty conservative, try that first and change settings as above later if necessary is simplest.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello, dear all!

@DB83:
    why not just install ffdshow. Choose Windows Media Player for preview et voila !
    In such case, how can I do it? How can I set Windows to do that? If I could configure ffdshow to make my Windows Explorer to preview my flv files, I would love, because this program is very nice to use.

I have tried the program above, without success, in my case:

http://majorgeeks.com/Icaros_d7220.html

@ AlanHK: Thanks for your help! I will try what you advice me. But, I'm afraid in using some codec packs, because they are famous for messing up about PC codecs health. If I can't do it using any other methods, I'll try this alternative.

If someone have some more tips about the subject, will be nice to hear!

Thanks for all of you.

Best regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This seems to be a bad choice of words.

You said 'preview'. I always take that to assume playback while remaining in an envoirment such as Windows Explorer.

What you want is a thumbnail viewer. Codec packs do not provide for that as codecs exist (as the name suggests) for compression and decompression.

Windows typically only provides 'preview' thumbnails for certain media types (.avi, wmv, mpg)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    @ AlanHK: Thanks for your help! I will try what you advice me. But, I'm afraid in using some codec packs, because they are famous for messing up about PC codecs health. If I can't do it using any other methods, I'll try this alternative.

If someone have some more tips about the subject, will be nice to hear!
    Fine. Work it out for yourself. Study up on all the individual codecs you need and install them separately.
    Quote Quote