VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I picked up a used computer dirt cheap at a garage sale. Its a single core athlon 1.7ghz.

I want to put linux on it but I have only fooled with linux briefly so I am not an expert, I'm not even a novice. I would like something that has the look and feel of windows.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to try Linux without the need to load it onto the hard drive and then find it's not "windows" like enough for you, try a Live Distro that will run from CD. There are many.

http://www.livecdlist.com/

You might want to start with OpenSuse which is supposed to be the best distro for laptops.
    Last edited by mail2tom; 13th May 2011 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can make ubuntu screens look like windows . Recent versions are more or less self-installing . Play around in your spare time for a week or two . You might like it . All the basic things you could want to do , E-mail , web browsing , office applications etc. are just as good as you are used to . Less popular activities ; games and I'm sorry to say video processing , are all available but there is much less choice of software . The filing system is more flexible than in windows . Installing and removing software is easy but the proceedures have to be learned . I hope you find it rewarding ..... I do.....yours mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ubuntu works fine for me but you should check that your laptop is supported before committing to a distribution. The live discs are a great way to check compatibility.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. When a Linux distro looks like Windows it's only skin deep. Once you start using it, installing drivers, and installing software it will no longer work like Windows. So you should probably look for other features you need instead instead. Support for the hardware you have, preinstalled software you need, a big repository, easy installation of software, etc. A lot of people seem to like Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS. I use Ubuntu.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th May 2011 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The nice thing about Ubuntu for the novice is they include an app to install their selected popular apps without having to deal with tar and rar, etc. They just load windows like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I think I tried ubuntu several years ago. I might still have that burnt disc laying around somewhere. I'll try that first if I can find it or redownload it.

I appreciate the suggestions.

@eddv - fyi its a desktop not a laptop - single core amd 1.7ghz ausus board a7vbx-x 1gig ram (I may swap that with some ram on my other computer, not sure yet so the value may change).

edit - does multiavchd or ripbot264 have linux versions? If I do upgrade the computer with a new motherboard and cpu down the road I don't know if I want to buy win7 just yet. this would be for video editing mainly as I have a pefectly fine vista dual core for a majority of my needs.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    atm i'm using backtrack 5 from a usb drive as my OS...normally i use puppy linux from a usb and it works fantastic...the most user friendly i've found in the last few weeks(and i'ved installed em all) is OpenSuse and Linux Mint...damn easy to use...Mint is just an offshoot that uses ubuntu..also Lubuntu works well and is easy to play with do as others mentioned above and download and burn a live cd and boot from it in startup and see what you think...they have live cd's for pretty much all linux distros
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks moontrash. I've seen the programs you listed mentioned by the others in this thread so that is a good sign.

So do any h264 encoders work with linux? As I mentioned my intention for this desktop is to eventually replace the motherboard with a whole new board and cpu (its a ausus case for a full size atx board so it can fit any motherboard I can throw at it). I don't really need win7 but I would want to harness the power for video editing.

Are there linux versions of ripbot264, format factory, or multiavchd? Those are the main programs I use for converting.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ripbot doesnt do linux but handbrake does...multiavchd doesnt either...nor format factory

i like linux fir the simple reason that you can have an old junker pc lyin around and you don't even really need a hd to use it...just load it up on a usb thumb and go...free OS in a pinch...there are many apps for linux but not in the same ballpark as windows for successful video converting
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moontrash
    ripbot doesnt do linux but handbrake does...multiavchd doesnt either...nor format factory
    Thanks. Handbrake is one program I have yet to use. Sounds promising at least.

Originally Posted by moontrash
    there are many apps for linux but not in the same ballpark as windows for successful video converting
    Well my line of thought for future use is to rip with my vista pc that has anydvdhd and transfer to a harddrive and load that on to the other computer (well once I eventually upgrade, that is yet to be determined so I'm just in the operating system research stage here). Then I could copy that to the computer and work on it from there.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    honestly i would just use the windows pc for all the video needs and use the Linux one for surfin and such...you'll end up pullin your hair out if you keep tryin to find successful apps to do the same as the windows stuff...you'll get no vobblanker or dvdshrink and other popular apps...

makemkv has one that works with linux..its like anydvd but for BR's...handbrake is a fine and proven app..does a good job...you'll find a few apps here and there for your needs but not in the quantity that windows offers

Linux Video Apps
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might as well just use Windows then.

I tried to use both Ubuntu 10.10 and pclinuxos and both were a nightmare (probably more of a nightmare than trying to use Windows 7).

I'll just stick with XP for as long as I can. XP should be good for another ten or twenty years and that's as long if not longer than I'll probably live.

You won't find any Linux OS that is like Windows. Linux tries to be as far from Windows as it can be. Linux users (who are mostly hackers and computer science guys) don't want it to be anything like Windows. There was a release a few years back call Lindows that was written by a guy who worked for Microsoft but I guess he got sued by MS and was forced to take it down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    You won't find any Linux OS that is like Windows. Linux tries to be as far from Windows as it can be. Linux users (who are mostly hackers and computer science guys) don't want it to be anything like Windows. There was a release a few years back call Lindows that was written by a guy who worked for Microsoft but I guess he got sued by MS and was forced to take it down.

Mostly, that's rubbish.

Linux originated as a work-alike for Unix. (As basically was DOS.) Microsoft didn't create the "Windows" GUI, and Linux doesn't try to be "different" to MS Windows. If anything, recent Linux desktops look more like Windows than anything else.

And "Lindows" was indeed sued by MS over the name. MS lost, they paid Linspire to change its name and it became to "Linspire". That in turn was bought by Xandros and merged into their distribution.

Don't just make up random things and present them as facts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've always used knoppix from the tray which can even see raw files and do something...I forget just what
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I'll check em out and see how it goes.

Maybe whenever I do upgrade the new tower case I bought I may bite the bullet and get win7. Right now though I'm looking for other alternatives.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft didn't create the "Windows" GUI
    who did then? it's an evolutionary chain(Xerox,Apple and they all sued each other) of events that led up to what windows is....and that chain became the Windows GUI

linux is fun on the go. I dont use it for any editing or ripping...just surfing. It doesnt get viruses or malware. As a surfin machine its rock solid. If u have an old laptop and need an OS its great and gets the same thing done as Windows. Same goes for an old Desktop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    So do any h264 encoders work with linux?
    Yes.
    x264 can be used from the command line.
    But, easier than that, use FFmpeg/WinFF or Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've been through several distros in a search for the one I liked the best. I keep coming back to Mint. Currently I'm running Mint DE the Debian build on my laptop and Mint XFCE, the low resource Debian build on an old desktop. Both are doing great. The core version of Mint is basically Ubunutu, but it is still using the Gnome Desktop instead of Unity, which is currently very buggy. It's also unlocked a bunch of restricted extras right out of the box, which you have to take extra steps to do in Ubuntu. Mint also has it's own software manager to install packages from the repositories with the click of a button, which is even easier than Windows. The UI is also much more Windows like, with the task bar at the bottom by default Mint Menu which is very much like a Windows menu complete with a search function that behaves very much like Win7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @bat999 - thanks. Is there a gui for linux for x264? I like winff so thats a possibility but it seems like handbrake is the best candidate so far.

@poppa_meth - thanks for the suggestion.

---------------------------------------

Can virtualdub be used on linux? What about those virtual windows for linux? How viable are those?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Can virtualdub be used on linux? What about those virtual windows for linux? How viable are those?
    VirtualDub runs under Wine but I had some stability problems. It works better in VMWare or VirtualBox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    It works better in VMWare or VirtualBox.
    I assume those are other linux windows simulators like wine than? Sounds promising.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I assume those are other linux windows simulators like wine than? Sounds promising.
    They are full virtual machines that can run Windows (you need a Windows license when you run them, it gets installed on a virtual hard drive). Wine doesn't require a Windows license.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I picked up a used computer dirt cheap at a garage sale. Its a single core athlon 1.7ghz.

I want to put linux on it but I have only fooled with linux briefly so I am not an expert, I'm not even a novice. I would like something that has the look and feel of windows.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
    you may want to give PC-BSD a try, it's not linux, it's unix, specifically free bsd with a very user friendly interface, windows like packages (PBI's) and should fully support that old pc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats
    you may want to give PC-BSD a try, it's not linux, it's unix, specifically free bsd with a very user friendly interface, windows like packages (PBI's) and should fully support that old pc.
    Sounds good too.

I've downloaded opensuse and I'm currently downloading the latest ubuntu. I'm planning on downloading pclinuxos and mint. I'll add pc-bsd as another option too.

Does pc-bsd have a live-cd option also?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post

Mostly, that's rubbish.

Linux originated as a work-alike for Unix. (As basically was DOS.) Microsoft didn't create the "Windows" GUI, and Linux doesn't try to be "different" to MS Windows. If anything, recent Linux desktops look more like Windows than anything else.

And "Lindows" was indeed sued by MS over the name. MS lost, they paid Linspire to change its name and it became to "Linspire". That in turn was bought by Xandros and merged into their distribution.

Don't just make up random things and present them as facts.
    I didn't make up anything that I posted. It was either from my experience or from stuff that I read from either the sites that I downloaded Linux from or from the Linux forums.

Here is a distro I found that is supposed to be like XP.

Ylmf OS is a free, fast, safe and stable Linux operating system with a strong expandability.
    A practical system following the use habit of Windows.
    An ideal choice for your study, work, net-surfing and entertainment.
    Our mission: To develop the most suitable Linux Operating System for you. (I assume that they mean the average PC user)

It has Wine built-in.

http://www.ylmf.org/en/download.html

Download is very very slow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    They are full virtual machines that can run Windows (you need a Windows license when you run them, it gets installed on a virtual hard drive). Wine doesn't require a Windows license.
    Complex to set up and very slow on a 1.7 GHz AMD chip. If you want to run windows apps, install Windows. Easy to do a dual boot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    Complex to set up and very slow on a 1.7 GHz AMD chip. If you want to run windows apps, install Windows.
    Thanks for the information. Right now I'm in the exploratory phase. I don't have the upgraded hardware yet. In the end I may finally buy win 7 and just be done with it. But for now I'm checking out my options on the cheap side.

As a side note are there any reliable ways to still buy xp? I don't know if I'd trust buying it off ebay. (also I won't be buying windows until AFTER I upgrade this new pc case).

In case you are wondering no I don't have any retail copies of Windows at all. I only have the oem emachine xp and the oem vista that came with my hp.

---------------------------------

@darrells - thanks I'll add that to my test list for downloading.
    Quote Quote