VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even though many mp4 movies i've downloaded contain 6 channel audio, none of them gives true 5.1 surround sound on my sound system like mkvs or DVDs. I made comparisons with a few popular video players with the same results. I'm not talking about sound quality but multichannel precision. I just wanted to know if its a sound encoding thing or a container one, for which format to preffer in the future.

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check if they really contain 5.1 channels with mediainfo.

Maybe aac 5.1 audio and your players decodes it to stereo or something.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah maybe, but they only behave like that when playing mp4. Anyway, thanks man.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Even though many mp4 movies i've downloaded contain 6 channel audio, none of them gives true 5.1 surround sound
    Do Not Trust downloaded stuff. As none them give you true surround effect because of faulty & buggy encoders, and stupid uploaders who encoded without any proper knowledge. In most of your cases either one or more channels are already muted.

In case of muted channel(s), mediainfo will be fooled with many channels.

Open audio in any audio editor like for say Audacity with ffmpeg input plugin and physically verify if any channel(s) is muted or not.

I just wanted to know if its a sound encoding thing or a container one, for which format to preffer in the future.
    If you target hardware players MKV with 5.1 AC3 is universal container.
    If you target mobile devices MP4 with multi-channel is universal container.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Do Not Trust downloaded stuff. As none them give you true surround effect because of faulty & buggy encoders, and stupid uploaders who encoded without any proper knowledge. In most of your cases either one or more channels are already muted.
    I've no idea where you get that idea. It's simply not true.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!