VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey guys, I'm ripping a music dvd its 7.5 gb. I want the quality to be good and size to be small, maximum of 2 gb, so what's the best way to rip it?

and don't tell me it can't be done because there are many who have done it and do it all the time.

I also wanna know what axxo used or what YIFY uses, if u know the guy he rips bluray in 400mb and the quality is great, so I'd like to know what guys like him use to rip their dvds and blurays, although I don't have bluray discs but I'd like to know about dvds so the size is small and the quality is still great.

thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rip with dvdfab decrypter. Convert/shrink to a mp4/mkv with h264 video using VidCoder.

If you want full control convert with megui and you can configure all h264 settings. THey are not using any magic tools.
    Quote Quote  
  3. first of all thanks man for the quick reply.

I just ripped with dvd decrypter, should I rip again with dvdfab?

and I thought they use auto gk but that took too long still the quality wasn't that good.

so is there much difference in quality between vidcoder and megui or its the same? and what about the speed, how long does it take?

so if I rip with dvdfab and then convert and shrink to 1.5gb with vidcoder, the quality would be good?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Instead of yapping about it and not following directions, why not just try what Baldrick suggested and then report back or ask if you have any problems?
    Quote Quote  
  5. of course I'll try it but my questions were related to his post, to further clarify which one to use.

As I said I've already ripped it, I don't know if it makes much of a difference to rip it again with dvdfab as the main part is converting and shrinking + I was asking about the time so to know which one to use vidcoder or megui because I used autogk and it took 12-14hrs, I don't wanna wait that long.

I hope u understand bro.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If DVD Decrypter did the job successfully, you don't need to do it again with DVDFab HD Decrypter as it won't give you anything different or better. If the DVD uses advanced copy protection, then DVDFab HD Decrypter would definitely be better.

Comparing an XviD AVI produced by AutoGK with h264 video in an MP4 or MKV container is an apples to oranges comparison. In general, encoding for x264 will take considerably longer than will encoding XviD. 12-14 hours is a long time and either your computer is very old or there's something wrong with it. Most modern computers shouldn't take much longer than the movie itself to run 2 passes using AutoGK.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The dvd itself is 6-7 hours long as it contains songs not a movie but the quality was bad with autogk. Now I'm shrinking it with megui as suggested will report back on how long it takes + quality. The dvd is 7.5 gb so my guess is 2gb should be enough
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by adventurousman View Post
    The dvd itself is 6-7 hours long as it contains songs not a movie but the quality was bad with autogk.
    Do you have the log for the AutoGK encode? It generally gives good results unless you go around fiddling with the settings (like trying to fit your 6 hours of music videos on just a couple of CDs). Also, music video DVDs are often produced by idiots and even the sources don't look any good. But no one can know if that's the case without a sample. Good luck with MeGUI.
    Quote Quote  
  9. well I just checked and the run time is 4:25 hrs, so its not even 5 hours, that was another dvd with 100 songs, this one has 55 songs.

I tried Me Gui but it was giving some problem so now I'm encoding with Vid Coder. As I said before some guys are making bluray rips with 400 mb with really good quality, I wanted to do the same with my dvds. The preview look good with 2gb but in the end I chose 3 gb, so the size is 7.5gb and I've shrinked it to 3 gb, I hope it comes out good. Another thing I noticed in the preview is the green line on the bottom of the screen, I also had that when downloading some of the movies, I'm not sure if that's shown only on preview or also when the encoding is done, further there were many options in vidcoder, I didn't mess around, left most of it on auto, only chose the size of the file & btw its saying 8 hrs.

My computer is 5 years old and its slow too so maybe that's why

Edit: So normally which % should one choose for good quality? 75? or should one choose size like 700mb? And those guys are shrinking 4.7 gb dvd into 700mb cd and the quality is still good
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a moment Hos.

The guide that has been given is for a standard dvd with VIDEO files.

Audio is totally different. But just to be sure we have all the facts, is there any video attached to the songs or are you just hearing audio from the disk with no video ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by adventurousman View Post
    Edit: So normally which % should one choose for good quality? 75? or should one choose size like 700mb? And those guys are shrinking 4.7 gb dvd into 700mb cd and the quality is still good
    This is AutoGK you're talking about? Yes, for a 1-pass Target Quality encode the default 75% should be good. If the size comes out too large, you can go into the Advanced Settings and lower the width to 640 or some such.

But sometimes they do all sorts of screwy things to music video DVDs and an all-in-one program can't do nearly as good a job with it as you could yourself, if you knew what you were doing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just a moment Hos.

The guide that has been given is for a standard dvd with VIDEO files.

Audio is totally different. But just to be sure we have all the facts, is there any video attached to the songs or are you just hearing audio from the disk with no video ?

by standard u mean one side dvd 4.7gb? This one I think is double sided as the size is 7.5gb.

No, its all music video's not an audio dvd, that would be a waste of time. So its 55 video songs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by adventurousman View Post
    This is AutoGK you're talking about? Yes, for a 1-pass Target Quality encode the default 75% should be good. If the size comes out too large, you can go into the Advanced Settings and lower the width to 640 or some such.

But sometimes they do all sorts of screwy things to music video DVDs and an all-in-one program can't do nearly as good a job with it as you could yourself, if you knew what you were doing.
    Yes, I was talking about AutoGK. I encoded it with both vidcoder and autogk with 3 gb each. The quality of vidcoder isn't that good while the quality of autogk was better than vidcoder but still not that good, I mean the difference from original can be seen but u were also rite about the music dvds as the original itself isn't that great.

When I use 75% target, I don't see how much space it would take on disc or can I?

Edit: + there are 3 .IFO files, which one should I select? In vidcoder I just went to select dvd folder instead of selecting one file, in autogk I selected one of the .IFO files but it took 20hrs and in the end only few songs were encoded
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by adventurousman View Post
    When I use 75% target, I don't see how much space it would take on disc or can I?
    No, not in advance. It'll use as much space as necessary to deliver the quality you've set.

Do you have a log for one of the AutoGK encodes? It might help to shed some light on what's going on.

Edit: + there are 3 .IFO files, which one should I select? In vidcoder I just went to select dvd folder instead of selecting one file, in autogk I selected one of the .IFO files but it took 20hrs and in the end only few songs were encoded
    No way to know from what you said. Maybe the 55 videos are divided among different VTS's. One thing you can do is to have a look at the VOBs on the hard drive. If you open a VOB in AutoGK, all the rest in the sequence will open automatically. If you have 2 or more VTS's, and you have 2 or more VOB sets, each with some of the songs, you can renumber the later VOBs so they follow the originals. Then open the first VOB and all the rest will also automatically be opened.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Now that is setteled - I was rather confused when you said 'songs' .....

If I am encoding to xVID, I work on between 15meg-20meg per minute. So using that as a guide you do end up with a 3 gig file.

As to the question of the IFO files, we do not know the structure of this dvd. Each title set will have its own IFO so if there are multiple title sets on this disk - each one having a number of songs - it could well explain why the rip only gives you so many.

I have seen 2 hour disks shrunk to 700 meg. Typically, you can only achieve this if you decrease the frame size to compensate for the higher compression. In my example, I am retaining frame width at 720 pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    No, not in advance. It'll use as much space as necessary to deliver the quality you've set.

Do you have a log for one of the AutoGK encodes? It might help to shed some light on what's going on.

No way to know from what you said. Maybe the 55 videos are divided among different VTS's. One thing you can do is to have a look at the VOBs on the hard drive. If you open a VOB in AutoGK, all the rest in the sequence will open automatically. If you have 2 or more VTS's, and you have 2 or more VOB sets, each with some of the songs, you can renumber the later VOBs so they follow the originals. Then open the first VOB and all the rest will also automatically be opened.
    No, I deleted all the files from Autogk, next time I'll keep them and post it here.

I'm posting files the way they're in the folder.

VIDEO_TS This one is .IFO
    VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0 This one is .IFO
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1 This one is 1 gb so are the following files
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3
    VTS_01_4
    VTS_01_5
    VTS_01_6
    VTS_01_7
    VTS_01_8 This one is 593 mb
    VTS_02_0 This one is .IFO
    VTS_02_0
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

If I am encoding to xVID, I work on between 15meg-20meg per minute. So using that as a guide you do end up with a 3 gig file.

As to the question of the IFO files, we do not know the structure of this dvd. Each title set will have its own IFO so if there are multiple title sets on this disk - each one having a number of songs - it could well explain why the rip only gives you so many.

I have seen 2 hour disks shrunk to 700 meg. Typically, you can only achieve this if you decrease the frame size to compensate for the higher compression. In my example, I am retaining frame width at 720 pixels.
    So next time if I change frame width to 720 pixels then I'll have better quality?

This one is 4hrs 25 minutes long, then even 2gb is more than enough if we use the e.g. of 2hrs for 700mb and here I'm using 3gb and still the quality isn't good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

So next time if I change frame width to 720 pixels then I'll have better quality?

This one is 4hrs 25 minutes long, then even 2gb is more than enough if we use the e.g. of 2hrs for 700mb and here I'm using 3gb and still the quality isn't good.
    Frame size is not an indication of quality. Only bit-rate will determine that. I was giving an example of my work so I retain the original width (720 pixels) and encode by setting autogk to create a taget of 15-20 meg per minute. The bit-rate that achieves is approx 2,500 kbps which is quite high. To get 2 hours at 700 meg you have to encode at approx 750 kbps.

Frame size gets in to the equation when you consider whre you will display the video. The smaller the frame, the higher the compression(lower bit-rate), the larger the screen results in lower visual quality.

But it is more complicated than that. More than likely that these 55 videos are from variable sources and not of the same quality. Choose one bit-rate for every song and some may look ok but others could look cr*p.

One other thing. These 700 meg rips look good because they are being done from prime material. Your dvd is not prime. 4 hours at 7.5 gig is less than 4,000 kbps so it is already pushing it quality wise. The 2 hour source dvd will be a much higher bit rate.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by adventurousman View Post
    VIDEO_TS This one is .IFO
    VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0 This one is .IFO
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1 This one is 1 gb so are the following files
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3
    VTS_01_4
    VTS_01_5
    VTS_01_6
    VTS_01_7
    VTS_01_8 This one is 593 mb
    VTS_02_0 This one is .IFO
    VTS_02_0
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1
    OK, they're all in the same VTS. However, if you got only some of the songs, there are probably several titles within that VTS and AutoGK grabs only the first when loading the IFO. My suggestion is to load that first VTS_01_1.VOB and the rest will be automatically loaded. That way you should get all 55 music videos.

Also, turn on your file extensions so you can see the .VOB name.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Frame size is not an indication of quality. Only bit-rate will determine that. I was giving an example of my work so I retain the original width (720 pixels) and encode by setting autogk to create a taget of 15-20 meg per minute. The bit-rate that achieves is approx 2,500 kbps which is quite high. To get 2 hours at 700 meg you have to encode at approx 750 kbps.

Frame size gets in to the equation when you consider whre you will display the video. The smaller the frame, the higher the compression(lower bit-rate), the larger the screen results in lower visual quality.

But it is more complicated than that. More than likely that these 55 videos are from variable sources and not of the same quality. Choose one bit-rate for every song and some may look ok but others could look cr*p.

One other thing. These 700 meg rips look good because they are being done from prime material. Your dvd is not prime. 4 hours at 7.5 gig is less than 4,000 kbps so it is already pushing it quality wise. The 2 hour source dvd will be a much higher bit rate.
    So if the frame width is bigger than it'll result in better quality? As u said the smaller the frame the higher the compression but u r rite about the quality of dvd, so I've decided not to rip it and just split songs that I like from it and delete the rest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not think you quite understood what I was trying to say. I will give you two examples

The first rip is 2 hours 640*480 @750kbps
    The second rip is 2 hours 720*544 @750kbps

The first question is "Which gives the largest file ?"
    The answer is neither of them since they will both give you the same result

So why reduce the frame size ? The answer is to create the perception of better quality when viewed on a standard monitor and without expanding to full screen. I am not saying that, given the right hardware, the 640*480 will look worse blown up but not all systems are created equally.

So the more pixels the original file has the less up-scaling has to be done.

And the second question. Which of those two rips has the better quality ?

The answer, again, is neither. They are both the same. For the want of repeating myself, the bigger the frame will NOT increase the quality if bit-rate is the same.

IMHO The whole notion of doing 700mb rips is now seriously out-dated. Why fit one film on to one disk when you can put four or more on to a disk that takes the same amount of storage(wallet) place.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks for clearing that up

so in short if bitrate is high then the quality will be better but if bitrate is high so does the size gets bigger, so we're back to square one.

I don't wanna make 700mb cd but I don't have enough space on my harddisc for all the films so that's why wanna rip in small size, (the ones that I can't find on internet)

My question remains on how to make those 700mb or 400mb rips with high quality, given that I've a good quality dvd which is 2hrs or 2.5hrs long?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get the distinct impression that this whole topic has sailed right over your head.

Your question has been answered. But if that is still not enough then get hold of these rips. Check their qualities - bit-rate, codec used etc, etc. Then use the tools already suggested and try it yourself. They probably also squeeze a little more out of the rip by doing multi-pass at least 2 passes. Maybe 3 or even 4.

At the end of the day, you only learn by doing this yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Check the quality of my ripped file ......
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    advman, your expectations aren't realistic. I don't know what you mean by 'great', but I don't think you'll find anyone remotely knowledgeable who thinks you can rip a BR to 400Mb without seriously losing quality.

PLus, I've seen too much DL video that was rated 10/10 for quality that stunk. What are these people watching them on? Their phones?

You want some software that'll magically do super high quality rips. They won't do it without tweaking the advanced h.264 parameters. And there's no simple explanation for it. Don't blame vidcoder or handbrake (I like the new version of the latter better, but vidcoder uses the old handbrake engine) or autogk just because you don't know how to use them. The settings are there. But it's complex.

They don't have super tweaked settings by default because there aren't any that are suitable for all types of video. There's also personal taste.

I'd suggest vidcoder or handbrake for you ... frankly, I wouldn't recommend some of those other programs for someone who thinks they should rip a dvd after they've already ripped it.

Go into the handbrake docs ... the basic stuff is easy, though you want high profile unless you're ripping to a mobile.

For the good stuff, the bells and whistles that really give you good quality with better compression, you'll need the advanced options. It's a lot more complex but the handbrake docs point you to the mplayer site, which has good suggestions.

Read the damn things like other people here (many much more knowledgeable than me) have. Don't expect a simple spoon fed answer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, try the h.264 section of the avidemux dokuwiki. It's the best explanation of advanced .264 options for intermediate users I've seen. Can't believe it took me this long to find it ...
    Quote Quote