VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of the guides here seem to be designed either for the captured source being played back on an interlaced display, capturing to DVD, or capturing FROM a DVD.

I am trying to capture from a VHS source to a MP4 video file, although not directly.

So I have a Dazzle connected to my laptop, and am capturing in VirtualDub 64 using uncompressed audio and huffyuv video (Is there any huffyuv-like equivalent for audio?), all 64 bit. Just to be safe and make sure I don't get any dropped frames due to the laptop's slow internal HDD, I connected a USB 3.0 external drive.

I am planning to encode it to MP4 using H264/AAC when its done capturing.

Three questions about this:

1. It defaulted to 25FPS video, I set it to 29.97FPs NTSC. Is this what I should have used? Or should I use another setting? (Does the Nyquest Rate even apply to analog video? Should I have been capturing at 60FPS then decimate to 30FPS during my encode?)

2. The test capture I did showed interlacing (I thought that only happened in MPEG format video?). Am I capturing it wrong or is it supposed to come out like this? It has been a while since I had to de-interlace video, and that was back when XVID AVI was what everyone used, never had to de-interlace using MeGUI before.

3. Any other quick tips? All the times I have encoded before in the past, it was from a file source, not capturing analog video like this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. A lot of the guides here seem to be designed either for the captured source being played back on an interlaced display, capturing to DVD, or capturing FROM a DVD.
    then again there are many posts and treads on capturing vhs and converting to any format ( including h264 ) especially on the restoration and capturing forums.

So I have a Dazzle connected to my laptop, and am capturing in VirtualDub 64 using uncompressed audio and huffyuv video (Is there any huffyuv-like equivalent for audio?), all 64 bit. Just to be safe and make sure I don't get any dropped frames due to the laptop's slow internal HDD, I connected a USB 3.0 external drive.
    why 64 bit whats the point ( i don't see what you will gain in capturing instead of regular vdub), usb 3 HDD is ok i think that even usb2 for sd video will be sufficient. There is audio equivalent is flac but i don't think that you can capture in vdub with it it is best to capture uncompressed audio (wav ).

1. It defaulted to 25FPS video, I set it to 29.97FPs NTSC. Is this what I should have used? Or should I use another setting? (Does the Nyquest Rate even apply to analog video? Should I have been capturing at 60FPS then decimate to 30FPS during my encode?)
    No if you are in Europe 25 fps interlaced and stay that way if you are in US 29,97 interlaced and stay that way it is not smart to go from pal to ntsc although not impossible .

2. The test capture I did showed interlacing (I thought that only happened in MPEG format video?). Am I capturing it wrong or is it supposed to come out like this? It has been a while since I had to de-interlace video, and that was back when XVID AVI was what everyone used, never had to de-interlace using MeGUI before.
    No all analog captured material is interlaced and should be interlaced you can deinterlace after if you like.
    you can encode interlaced in mp4 ( h264 format without problems ),and probably all xvid files that you had were progressive anyway.

3. Any other quick tips? All the times I have encoded before in the past, it was from a file source, not capturing analog video like this.
    Capture 720x480 29,97 fps from vcr to your dazzle using vdub hyffyuv audio no compression. Then do some filtering in avysinth or vdub ( you will need it especially noise reduction or deinterlacing if you like although not recommended ) save in hyffyuv again then do encoding in your favorite program ( i see you sad Megui ) to h264 ( use around 4000 to 5000 kbs it is equivalent to 7000-8000 kbs Mpeg2 files which is ok for vhs sources )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you encode an interlaced NTSC video to H.264 and leave it interlaced? I thought you had to either deinterlace or do an IVTC so the video is progressive. Do playback devices other than a PC handle interlaced H.264 correctly?

Come to think of it ... I did have an interlaced NTSC 29.970fps source once that I converted to 59.94fps and this played back properly on my HDTV from a Sony PS3 but it was a small sample that I was playing with and I don't think I have it anymore. I can't even remember how the hell I did it now LOL but I do recall that making it 59.94fps is a way to make it progressive without the negative side effects of normal deinterlacing (where you make it progressive 29.970fps ... of course IVTC should always be done if the source is capable of that).
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote