VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1 I have medias Philips DVD + R with ID CMC MAG M01 in box paper Philips Singapore, this media is good and has good durability to save my data? buy in Brazil

2 What dye Philips CMC MAG M01 uses? he is good?

3 How many years of durability has a DVD + R media, in my case the Philips CMC MAG M01?

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    CMC Mag M01 media is no better than average quality at best. You might get lucky and have a good combination where this media burns reasonably well in your particular burner, but then again, you might not.

The media guys over at MyCE still test this stuff regularly. Take a look at this last page of the CMC +R media tests: http://club.myce.com/f76/cmc-magnetics-dvd-r-85868/index12.html You'll see that the quality varies tremendously across brands, despite them all using this same mid code. I don't recall off hand what dye these use. If you really need that info, ask Pepst in the Blank Media forum at MyCE. He's forgotten more about optical discs than I'll ever know.

No one can predict durability of these discs for you. But they are not ones that are highly recommended by many.

If you can find 8x Taiyo Yuden +R discs, those would be the best available. Verbatim AZO 16x are generally very good, as are the FTI Falcon discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1 From what I saw with medias code CMC MAG M01 exist in various brands (Emtec, Philips and other brands) so the quality changes depending on the brand

2 but in my case my media is Philips 16x DVD + R (CMC MAG M01) and wonder if the quality of Philips cmc mag m01 is good and this media has good durability and reliability

3 dvd + r Philips CMC MAG M01 which uses dye?

4 did not buy Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim because it has in Brazil, and if I buy from outside Brazil will pay dearly

5 many years of durability philips m01 cmc mag can resist and save my data?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    1 From what I saw with medias code CMC MAG M01 exist in various brands (Emtec, Philips and other brands) so the quality changes depending on the brand
    NONSENSE.
    CMC is crap.
    Emtec is crap.
    Philips is crap.
    TDK is crap.
    ....because all of them use or have used CRAP like CMC and stuck their company name on them.

If you don't know what you are talking about please don't talk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    4 did not buy Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim because it has in Brazil, and if I buy from outside Brazil will pay dearly
    In Brazil, actually it's very difficult, but not impossible, to find stores where you can buy Verbatim discs
    ( Dual-Layer only ). If you don't live in São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro, you still can order them on-line, for example @MercadoLivre =^.^=

And yes, the damn discs really are expensive, around R$6,00 per unit
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    1 From what I saw with medias code CMC MAG M01 exist in various brands (Emtec, Philips and other brands) so the quality changes depending on the brand

2 but in my case my media is Philips 16x DVD + R (CMC MAG M01) and wonder if the quality of Philips cmc mag m01 is good and this media has good durability and reliability

No, the quality of these discs vary across brands, meaning that you won't be able to predict how well they will burn from one cakebox to the next regardless of which brand you choose. This unpredictability is what makes us wary of these discs. Some people do get acceptable results with them depending on which burner they use, but even they will have more failures than when using known, good media.

Philips has not been noted for high quality dvds for a long time, if ever.

If you need to know the dye type, do some research over at Myce.com, or ask in their blank media forum.

Poor burns will tend to cause problems in playback, so as I said, no one can predict with any certainty how long these CMC discs will last for you.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 1st Sep 2013 at 11:19. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    CMC MAG M01 quality varies from batch to batch with all of these brands, none is known to be significantly better than the others. There is a possible risk with all of them.

It depends on the specific package of discs you buy and how well your particular burner is capable of burning them. There is incessant debate here on VH and over on MYCE between people who swear they've had very few problems with CMC and people who have had very bad experience. CMC is made to sell for a low price, this is achieved by making discs that just barely pass proper specs sufficient to burn for most people. This means success or failure is highly dependent on the burner and the burning software: be sure to use the free IMGburn software, which you can download from VideoHelp here.

There are tests you can perform on the discs after you burn them, to verify burn quality. Most people do not bother doing this anymore because it can be hard to find a burner that is compatible with the testing process, and CMC discs that test perfectly one day have been known to fail badly the next day.

Many have tried to pin down the dye type, but it is difficult to get an accurate answer: it seems to be Fuji dye in most cases. It doesn't matter, it isn't the dye but the quality control during manufacture that is important. CMC's quality control is mediocre at best: their discs are too inconsistent even within the same package.

Over at MYCE, there is a vague consensus that CMC MAG M01 is slightly better than CMC MAG AM3, which is their worst stuff. But it depends on the brand and batch of CMC MAG M01: there are no guarantees.

That is unfortunately true in many countries. TY and Verbatim AZO are the most durable archival brands, but if you can't get them in Brazil at a practical price, you'll need to accept the CMC MAG M01.

No one can tell you with certainty. The climate of your country is not good for burned DVDs, and they don't last forever even in dry cool countries. Keep them away from sunlight in a dark place (like a covered box in the coolest part of your house). Keep backup copies of your most important data files on USB thumb drives and a portable hard drive.

To give my own example, I have approx 200 TDK dvds I burned back in 2006 before I discovered TDK had switched to CMC MAG AM3 to mfr their discs. I made backup copies of those TDK/CMC discs to TY and Verbatim discs, which I keep in dark storage. The original TDK/CMC discs have sat exposed on a shelf in a brightly sunny room for the past several years, yet to my surprise only 4 of the 200 have become unreadable. Other CMC users here and at MYCE report failures within months or even weeks after burning. It is very hard to know what will happen.

I stopped using CMC discs six years ago because I was getting way too many failed burns in my DVD recorders and PCs (15 fails out of 50 dvds in a package). As soon as I learned TDK was just a shell brand for CMC, and heard the recommendations for TY and Verbatim, I switched to those and haven't used anything else since.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    About two years ago I needed to send some dvds to a few friends, and didn't want to wipe out my meager stash of Verbatims, so I bought some Sony dvds at a local store. Years ago, the Sony discs were a good third choice for dvds, but these turned out to be CMC Mag M01 discs.

I did a little testing on the burns, and found that my regular burner didn't match up well with them. That burner is a Samsung SH-S204, and works very nicely with Verbatim and TY, but the CMC burns had slightly irregular TRT scans and higher than normal PIE and PIF numbers. Jitter was slightly high too. The burns were not awful...they would work for this temporary transfer of data, but higher errors than what I normally see. The same thing held true with my Optiarc 7240s.

The odd part was the result from my LG GGW-H20L. It produced perfect TRT scans and PIE and PIF were easily in the range of my normal burns with Verbatim. These burns looked really good. LG drives are not known for great compatibility with mediocre media, so this was a strange result.

But it does show that this media can match up well with certain burners. Longevity is unknown though. I'd have to ask my friends if the discs still work.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 30th Aug 2013 at 14:13.
    Quote Quote  
  9. 1 My driver is a burner Samsung SH-S182F and the manual it recommends using discs CMC

2 after recording at 4x using ImgBurn my discs Philips CMC MAG M01 I did an analysis of disc with Nero DiscSpeed ​​and no bad sector problems 0.0%

3 fuji dye is the dye of the same cmc mag m01? the dye fuji is good? the site has cmcdisc CMC is ISO 9001 certified and is fully licensed.

4 is possible I find out what year and country was manufactured my dvd? I tried it and found the box and not the date

5 I intend to leave these my dvds philips m01 cmc mag keep my data for a few more years to arrive in Brazil millenniata mdisc
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Interesting, but CMC is still generally poor quality.2) I would not have expected this.
    3) I can't find proof of this, but my understanding is that DVD single layer dyes are all the same except Verbatim adds something to dye for their AZO discs. It's not really the type of dye so much as the quality of manufacturing that makes the difference between good and bad.
    4) If you put a disc under ImgBurn, it will give you a manufacturer code and you may be able to look it up. But note that many countries have both good and bad manufacturing centers. For example, for a long time Taiwan was considered by some ignorant people to be 100% bad media manufacturing, but in fact Verbatim users a first class manufacturing facility in Taiwan and the media they produce is excellent. The problem is that Taiwan was the site of the first consistently low quality discs too so some people just assumed that all Taiwan discs are bad. Verbatim also uses a first class Singapore facility, but based on the information above it seems that CMC also uses Singapore and I do not trust anything that CMC makes, wherever it is from.
    Discs made in India and China are suspected, sometimes with little proof, of being inferior to those made in other countries. In fact, Verbatim tried a few years ago to move all DL media to India and got so much grief over the supposed "bad quality" discs made in India that they had to move the faster speed DL discs back to being made in Singapore as too many people stopped buying the made in India ones.
    5) You've been fooled by the Mdisc hype. We've had lots of posts on this and their discs are not actually better than anybody else's discs. In fact, I tested their CD-Rs against cheap Philips branded ones in DiscSpeed and found fewer errors on the Philips ones.
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1 imgburn in the code of my philips is CMC MAG-M01-00

2 after recording at 4x using ImgBurn my discs Philips CMC MAG M01 I did an analysis of disc with Nero DiscSpeed ​​bad sector problems and in 0.0%

3 How do I know if my dvd had manufacturing quality?

4 CMC is as bad as you say? have no durability of at least 5 years? until I get MDISC?

5 store discs in slim box protects your discs from moisture? Here the temperature is a maximum at 35 degrees

6 fuji dye is the dye of the same-cmc mag m01? the dye fuji is good? the site has cmcdisc CMC is ISO 9001 certified and is fully licensed.

7 is possible I find out what year and country was manufactured my dvd? I tried it and found the box and not the date
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    except Verbatim adds something to dye for their AZO discs. It's not really the type of dye
    Actually, it is!

from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/3751-dvd-playing-back.html
    "Metal AZO" is actually an azoic dye type patented by Verbatim parent Mitsubishi, and only recently have they started to use it as a disc brand marking.
    I can't find my research right now, otherwise you'd be in for the chemistry lesson from hell.

but based on the information above it seems that CMC also uses Singapore
    As I said on the digitalFAQ.com posts, never heard of that. I want to know more. (And see more.)

5) You've been fooled by the Mdisc hype. We've had lots of posts on this and their discs are not actually better than anybody else's discs. In fact, I tested their CD-Rs against cheap Philips branded ones in DiscSpeed and found fewer errors on the Philips ones.
    Yep. Junk.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. 1 cover my Philips DVD + R CMC MAG M01 Philips Singapore has written and has a code: DR4SS0IF/97 but I did not find this code in the website has also written philips DVD + R version 1.3 and the cover has a picture of the disc does not have manufacturing date and country where it was manufactured, and I wanted to know

2 as I find out what the dye from my philips cmc mag m01? the dye philips cmc mag m01 is azo inorganic?

3 durability of a dvd starts from the time the disc is manufactured or from the moment that burns data in it?

4 need to know if my hard this philips cmc mag m01 has the minimum quality to save my data for at least four years

Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    3 durability of a dvd starts from the time the disc is manufactured or from the moment that burns data in it?

4 need to know if my hard this philips cmc mag m01 has the minimum quality to save my data for at least four years
    3 --- a recordable disc (CD/DVD/BD) starts to "die" on the moment it is produced Some discs are "dead" already much before someone attempts to record some data on them

4 --- each case is a case, and a.f.a.i.k. nobody here has a reliable crystal ball.

Bottom line is, you ask too many questions. Just buy the Verbatim DLs via MercadoLivre, problem solved.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 1st Sep 2013 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  15. 1 A disc DVD + R in my case Philips CMC MAG M01-00 has a shelf life of many years if stored well?

2 how many types there are and what dyes? and what are the best dyes?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    1 A disc DVD + R in my case Philips CMC MAG M01-00 has a shelf life of many years if stored well?
    You keep asking this question, and we keep telling you there is no guaranteed answer. It depends on how good your burner is at burning CMC MAG M01 media, how old your burner is, and how good the package of Philips/CMC you have (some batches are better than others, there is no way to know until you try to burn them). If the burn goes well and you keep the DVDs in a cool dark place, they should last 5 years. But please understand, no one here can promise you this for sure: they might last 5 weeks, 5 months, 5 years, or much longer.

2 how many types there are and what dyes? and what are the best dyes?
    At this point, there's Verbatim AZO and "everything else." AZO is the best, closely followed by the TY/JVC version of "everything else." The CMC, Ritek and other brands of "everything else" are average at best and poor at worst.

Repeating these questions again will not change the answers. It is sad that Brazil import duties make the Verbatim and TY/JVC media unaffordable to you, but these are the only two truly consistent and good-quality brands left in the world. If your data is very important to you, you will need to pay the extra money for Verbatim or TY. If you cannot possibly afford this, then make at least 2 copies of each Philips/CMC dvd, and also save the most important files on a backup HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. 1 My driver is burning a Samsung SH-S182F Firmware SB02, he is good? this drive is 2007

2 because some batches are better than others? CMC does not use the same manufacturing process and quality in all its Medias DVD?

3 is how I know if the lot of my DVDs Philips CMC MAG M01-00 is good?

4 how do I find out if the burn was successful? in Nero DiscSpeed ​​way to know this? I did an analysis of the disk surface in my DVDs using Nero DiscSpeed ​​and no error was found in the recorded files

5 I sent an email to the CMC and they said that DVDs manufactured by CMC has a lifespan of 30 to 50 years if kept at low temperatures and they said that the dye used in DVD medias CMC is the AZO and said that my medias are manufactured in Taiwan

6 I have two copies of the same files in medias Philips CMC MAG M01-00 and if they are good and durable medias after 5 years I refasso backups medias best save files to hard drive and flash drive is very expensive
    Quote Quote  
  18. I fold.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    gamemaniaco - You are like a little kid who never stops talking.

If you insist on using CMC discs then I recommend for best results that you burn not any faster than 4x speed. The only way to be truly sure that your burn succeeded is to watch the disc. Disc analysis is not completely trustworthy.

CMC's projected lifespan is doubtful. Verbatim has a patent on AZO. I doubt seriously that CMC has licensed it. As I said earlier and you apparently didn't pay attention to, "Made in Taiwan" means nothing because Taiwan has both some of the best and some of the worst manufacturers.

Your #6 statement makes no sense in English.

I'm done too. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I used 1 CMC discs, all discs burned at 4x (5,540 KB / s) with ImgBurn, which lead to burn at 4x? this increases the durability of the data?

2 I did the analysis of the disk with nero DiscSpeed ​​and no error found

3 in contact with the CMC informed me that the CMC discs are manufactured with AZO yes

4 it is possible to know if my disc uses AZO dye physically looking DVD? Any software that informs which uses dye my media?

5 My disc is manufactured in Taiwan and review of digitalfaq says the best countries for manufacturing of the discs is Japan Taiwan and Singapore

6 I understand CMC Magnetics also manufactures discs for Verbatim so I think that CMC has a release to use the Verbatim AZO DVD in medias manufactured by CMC
    Last edited by gamemaniaco; 4th Sep 2013 at 19:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I posted here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/358847-Questions-scratches-DVD-R/page2

I don't know why the members of VH are being so rude/mean to this person.

Yes, the OP is over-concerned with some topics, but I'd rather that than run into someone that assumes or insists you can buy anything and it's perfectly fine, as most people do. He's asking some good questions, even if tedious.

There's also a language barrier, but I'm fine with that.

We've been answering him here:
    http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/5357-dvdr-infected-fungus.html
    http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/5384-concerned-scratches-dvdr.html
    http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/5309-question-quality-philips.html
    http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/5307-questions-dvd-durability.html
    I was offline for most of this year. When did VH members start to jump on someone with newbie questions? It's not like he came here and insisted HD-DVD will recover, or said some other stupid thing. The man simply doesn't know. (He doesn't even know what he doesn't know.)

C'mon guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I was offline for most of this year.
    Then you missed this asshat's greatest hits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Then you missed this asshat's greatest hits.
    And you can still make me laugh.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The CMC is as bad as you say? she has no decent medias and has the minimum quality that can last a few years? bought Philips DVD + R 16x CMC MAG M01 because I have not found medias brands
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope he doesn't discover that Cinavia and fungus are as intimately associated, too. Maybe DVD Ranger can help him - if only Game can find him.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As W.C.Fields once said, "Go away from me, kid, you bother me!"

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10th Oct 2013 at 17:20. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  27. Can anyone tell me the Cyanine 16x dye used on DVD discs, it is good?
    Quote Quote