VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a HD movie in m2ts format and I would like to convert it to a format readable by the Blu-ray and DVD players. I understood I can maintain the quality only for the Blu-ray conversion. How can I make these conversions, what software to use?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to keep the quality it wont work on standard dvd-players. Use for example tsmuxer or multiavchd. Output as avchd. Burn on DVDR with imgburn.

If you want it to work on standard dvd players you must convert to dvd-video, use for example freemake video converter, avstodvd or Blu-ray Converter Ultimate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much for the answer! One more question: in order to get the DVD format do I have to convert first m2ts to avchd or can I make the conversion directly from m2ts (using the software you suggested) ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You convert directly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I converted the m2ts video to AVHCD using tsmuxer. Then I tried to burn it on a DVD+R DL disc (Verbatim) using Imgburn. Unfortunately it failed and moreover afterwards I could not read any CDs/DVDs in my Blu-ray drive (of a Sony Vaio laptop). I did a system restore to an older date when the drive worked, but it did not help. Now I've sent the laptop to Sony for repair.

However, I'm wondering: was it just bad luck or... could it be that the drive thinks it has to burn a bluray disc, while actually it has a DVD-DL inside? From Sony CS I understood there are 2 lasers in the drive: one for CDs/DVDs and one for bluerays. Is there a possibility that the drive gets confused and as a result it gets broken (by using the "wrong" laser)? I'm asking all that because I would like to try again when the laptop is fixed, but I don't want to end up (again) with a broken blu-ray drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. WellBeSerious12 WellBeSerious12's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't think that's EVER possible for any Blu-ray burner to ever do that. It most likely was a Hardware defect, or a Windows error.

FYI: Whenever you Right-Click -> Properties ANY M2TS video in Windows 7 (or Vista), it will ALWAYS say "AVCHD Video". Why try to re-convert a video to its' original format? Makes no sense.

If you wanna make the file readable on Blu-ray Players, then use TsMuxer & choose "Blu-ray Disc" as your output. If you wanna make the file work on DVD players, then the ONLY way to do that is to: A. Lower the quality of the video to something that can fit on a DVD+_R DL (480p?), B. Re-Mux the video to DVD-style folders, & C. Burn the files using ImgBurn.

Just use Freemake Video Converter to convert the files to DVD-style VOB w/ folders & then just burn the files using ImgBurn...
    Quote Quote  
  7. WellBeSerious12 WellBeSerious12's Avatar
    Search PM
    NOTE: Haven't tried yet, but Freemake Video Converter might also be able to burn the disc directly after converting (?).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is it that with every piece of software, if I try to encode a m2ts (avchd) or a mkv (x264) to dvd format, the output file looks blurry and with a lot of noise? If I convert the m2ts to x264 or even xvid (in avi), the video looks great at that given resolution (let's say 624 x 352 for xvid).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use VSO ConvertXtoDVD to convert a blu-ray .MSTS file to a DVD disc so that it will play in any blu-ray/dvd player, it will also happily convert an MKV or AVI or MP4 rip so you shouldn't have too many problems with common video formats it can't handle

It can also easily handle forced subtitles and subtitles and more importantly actually keep the audio and video in synch, which a lot of software just can't manage all the time

As you are converting from a blu-ray rip the final quality will be much better than a DVD of the same film, but be aware it has a lot of work to do to convert a file that could be anything from 4.3GB to 25GB to DVD specs

On my old Q6600 it used to take about 2-3 hours to convert a full 1920x1080p blu-ray rip to a PAL DVD, the same software will also quite happily burn to a blank DVD for you. Make sure you burn it at a maximum of x8 as some DVD players struggle to play DVDs that have been burnt as past as possible. Besides you are only saving about 3-4 minutes and saves having to re-burn it if it starts skipping or stuttering due to being burnt to fast
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for poor quality, you can only get what you give the software. Some are terrible at converting AVI's back to DVD, again I found ConvertXtoDVD was one of the better ones, they get their speed from cutting corners on quality, which is what you have found

One of the better pieces of software is HCEnc, its slow for a reason. Not because its badly coded but quality takes preference over speed. Have a look at AVI2ISO, its free and can use HCEnc as its encoding software, or AVI2DVD which is again free
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blu Ray Converter DVD - cheaper than the Ultimate but, does not do MKV, MP4, etc.
    Quote Quote