VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yes it has been a while since I have been here but have a question. I have a movie that is in Xvid format and is 576X304. I want to watch it on my 16:9 television.

What format should I convert to? What is Xvid = too? VCD, SVCD or DVD. I think converting to a higher level would defete the purpose...

Oh yes and how can I tell if I should convert using 16:9

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would convert it to DVD, as you can author it 16:9 that way. VCD can't author 16:9, and I don't think SVCD can either. Whether or not you should go to 16:9 is up to you. Maybe do a test of a few minutes at 4:3 and a few at 16:9 and see if it matters.

NTSC 4:3 704 x 346 (pad to 480)
    NTSC 16:9 704 x 460 (pad to 480)
    PAL 4:3 704 x 416 (pad to 576)
    PAL 16:9 704 x 554 (pad to 576)

I would resize in virtualdub, using borders to pad to full res. I would then use the unsharp mask free vdub filter to get rid of the resize softness. Frameserve this to your encoder then author to taste. That is basically my method for Divx to DVD conversions if I have the time.

If I'm in a hurry, or the source doesn't warrent handcrafted care, then I find VSO DivxtoDVD a good alternative. It will turn you out a disk in under an hour.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. xvid is a type of avi codec
    similar to divx, div3 etc

svcd can get a decent picture but id go for dvd
    plenty of ways of doing this serch in the guide for

xvid to dvd
    or
    avi to dvd
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!