VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    HD Fury 3 & Sony RDR HX 900 Hd Dvd Recorder Questions

Before I begin i do have a fair av background but i am not an expert
    in the av world so please be kind if my questions sound stupid .

Has anyone tried HD Fury 3 using a stand alone Dvd Recorder ?

I own a ( Sony HRD HX 9000 Stand Alone Dvd Recorder .
    This is one of those Rare Stand Alone Hard Drive Dvd Recorders with
    Component ( In Puts )

I used the following Set-Up With HDFury 3 )
    ( HDFury 3 With VGA To RCA Component breakout Adapter Cable )
    LG BluRay Player HDMI output to HDFury 3 HDMI input

HDFury 3 RCA Component output to Stand Alone Dvd Recorder Component input

Dvd Recorder Component output to LCD Tv Set .

Outcome :

Blank gray screen on Sony RDR HX 900 Recorder.

I finally figured out that I am getting a blank gray screen on my Sony Recorder because my Bluray Player
    does not have a 480i Over HDMI ability , so the hd fury 3 with component breakout cable is not coming in to
    my Sony Recorder as SD 480i .Was HD Fury 3 made to only work with Tv Monitors and will not work with component input Stand Alone Dvd Recorders .

Or will a bluray player thats 480i over hdmi capable .work with my hd fury 3 to Sony RDR HX 900 Recorder.?
    Or would i need a hdmi converter to change my hdmi bluray player signal to 480i over hmii ?

I do understand that I would only be getting SD 480i recording quality and thats ok ,

But will It Work ? Can Anyone Help...

Best Regards , blc7772001
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, if your blu-ray player has the composite output, use that instead of hdmi.
    That is likely the best choice for hardware.
    Yet I suppose the fury is used for cp bypass.
    I don't know if you can send a signal via hdmi that your dvdrecorder will understand.
    Someone else might know for sure.....
    You cannot record high def. with your dvd player anyway......

Best way is the rip the blu-ray to hard drive then use something like BD Rebuilder to
    convert blu-ray to dvd.

You could rip blu-ray to hard drive...burn back to blank blu-ray...then playback in blu-ray player
    and use composite output to dvd recorder and get a fairly good recording...the quality will depend on your
    recorder setting. This is however going around the world to go next door.....
    Quote Quote  
  3. blc7772001, the quick answer is your setup will work as long as you get a player that sends 480i via HDMI. There are some out there, just have to look. I use my HDFury's (2 or 3) between an Oppo 980 upscaling player with the hdmi output set at 480i and either the Sony 900 or 715. The key, as you suspected, is to have a player that can be set to output at 480i and you're good to go. Don't forget the audio cable, 3.5 mm to stereo (red and white). It really does a great job.

Have fun.

CC
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thankyou CrazyCanuck ,

Your the best , I was really worried that I made a big costly mistake with buying Hd Fury 3 , But you put my mind at ease.
    I did find a OPPO DV970 at amazon with this description ( Pure and clean 480i NTSC / 576i PAL over HDMI )
    Should be delivered at my door soon .

Two more questions if you don"t mind ,
    hd fury 3 dip switches : I have not changed any switches but did look over the manual but don't fully understand the optional dip switching yet. Should i just leave the dip switches as they are or is there something you can recommend for best picture settings and picture formats .

Also I am looking for a mid range price for a Blu Ray Player that has 480i over hdmi that offers streaming for both youtube and vudu , I found a few but they only offer either youtube no vudu or vudu no youtube .
    Do you have a recommendation .

Thanks for your time , best regards blc7772001
    Quote Quote  
  5. Glad to be of help blc7772001, I've never touched the EDID switches, from what I understand, the HDFury switches are originally set at default by the builders. They don't do much for your (our) intended purpose, they're more for issues with various non-HDCP displays, no benefit for this purpose. As for the format it's WYSIWYG, nothing with the switches. I set my OPPO to send 480i at 16:9 (wide, not auto) to do anamorphic dvds and 4:3 letterbox for letterbox dvds.

No recommendation for the BR player and I believe that we (in Canada) don't get vudu anyway so not much help from me on that.

One thing I've notice and haven't quite figured out a good go-around is when I connect everything up and turn on the Oppo and the Sony 715 (or 900) the image is flickering (and the HDfury blue light) and the only way I've found (so far) is to unplug and replug the Oppo HDMI output, then I'm ready to record.

You will most likely encounter this issue. I suspect a handshake issue, now that's something that maybe, hopefully can be resolved by an EDID switch which is more one of their intended purposes. I'm not too bothered by this, like I said, unplug and plug back in the player's HDMI output.
    Quote Quote