VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I got my DVRHD box a couple days ago from COx Cable,I hooked it up via the RGB cables. I noticed that on some channels that I could not get the correct aspect ratio (TBSHD being one) on some programmes,they look like they just braodcast a 4:3 picture and expand it to fill the screen.

So I switched over to the HDMI output from the box,and while I think the aspect ratio problem is better,i can no longer control the volume via the Cox remote,whereas I could when i had it hooked up via RGB. (I changed the settings on the remote to do this)
    I changed the audio cables to match the HDMI input on the back of the TV. When I go to change the volume,I see the volume indicator appear on screen as it did before,and it moves up and down as it should,but the volume stays the same,and I have to use the TV remote to change it.

Anyone else found this problem? Or is it my TV? I checked the settings,but nothing seems to affect it to get it to work.
    The cable box is model Scientific Atlanta 8240HDCand the TV is an HP 52" DLP

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. TBSHD is always broadcasting at the wrong aspect ratio. They insist on filling the 16:9 screen regardless of the source AR.

When using an HDMI cable the STB should be sending unmodified audio to the TV -- it then becomes the TV's job to adjust the volume. Program your remote with the proper code for you HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo
    TBSHD is always broadcasting at the wrong aspect ratio. They insist on filling the 16:9 screen regardless of the source AR.

When using an HDMI cable the STB should be sending unmodified audio to the TV -- it then becomes the TV's job to adjust the volume. Program your remote with the proper code for you HDTV.
    Hmm,tried it but no luck.I've tried different combinations of all the settings i can think of,so for now i just changed it back to RGB like it was before.
    Hopefully there wont be anything on TBS that I want to watch,although I can't understand why the channel is labeled as HD when in fact it is just expanded regular definition,it looks ridiculous. Might as well watch the regular channel !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Component (RGB) and HDMI should both output the same to your TV. The only difference would be how your TV is displaying that input (ie: zoom/stretch/etc.)

As for the audio, some cable boxes have control over the audio before it leaves the box (for the RCA outputs) and will display the volume information on the TV. If you are using the HDMI output, then the video and audio are output over the HDMI cable and the volume cannot be adjusted by the cable box(it should stay at line level). You would then need to adjust the volume on the TV itself.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding the issue with no variable audio with the use of the HDMI connection. I had the same problem with a Panasonic plasma and a Scientific Atlanta cable box. Find the instructions for your cable box remote control and look in the programming section if it shows programming a volume control "global lock" which is kind of an over-ride. That will allow you to lock the remote to only send volume +/- commands using the TV's infrared code. You can actually set volume control function to any of the components programmed into the remote but you need to set it to TV in this instance. Instead of the cable box controlling volume by variable output, you now are using the TV's internal volume control (better anyway). Now you can use just the cable remote select cable but still adjust volume with that remotes volume button.

Another solution is to set your TV's audio input to analog for the HDMI input and set the cable box to digital dolby or regular old rca audio out and connect rca cables between the box and TV for audio only. You will still have to raise the TV volume sufficiently and then use the cable box remote to adjust the volume with it's variable output. I just tried both ways and prefer the first solution I mentioned above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by culttvguy
    although I can't understand why the channel is labeled as HD when in fact it is just expanded regular definition,it looks ridiculous. Might as well watch the regular channel !
    That's not entirely the channels fault. If the original source wasn't recorded in 16:9 then the only thing it can do is display it as 4:3 - or at the worst STRETCH it to 16:9. Fortunately not all hd channels stretch 4:3. I'd rather have an old Seinfeld or Home Improvement rerun in 4:3 then to see them look ridiculous.

The worst thing I hate as I mentioned in a previous thread is not having widescreen movies or even 5.1 audio on a hd channel. I know its more money to broadcast a widescreen or 5.1 audio but that's WHY I PAY FOR HD CABLE!

Oh well at least some do and it can only get better At least USA broadcasts in widescreen (ok cropped to 1.78 from the original 2.35 but still "somewhat" widescreen) and 5.1. They did the Indiana Jones trilogy in the spring when Indy 4 hit the theaters - those looked awesome.

Now unfortunately the scifi channel is choosey too. The weird thing is they will show widescreen episodes of Stargate SG1 and 5.1 audio but not fully 16:9. It's pillarbared 4:3. So I just use the stretch mode to fill the screen (I own all 10 seasons on official dvd so it's not that big of a deal to me - just annoying).

Don't worry they'll start to get the hang of it as hdtv grows and matures..
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote