VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, when capturing from a Sony HD tape camcorder to the above programme I can only do it in short segments as the picture and capture judders after a while. Sometimes this can be as short as 5 minutes, sometimes 15 to 20 minutes.Any Ideas please. Have tried different sony tape cameras and still happens, also tried downloading in DV format and same happens.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More details on your computer and camera would be helpful. What o/s? Are you capturing to the system drive or an external drive or another internal drive? What is the model of the camera you are using? Are you using a laptop?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Operating system is XP Home, captures to C drive (internal), it is a desktop unit.Camcorder is a Sony FX-1E and also a Sony HVR-A1E. Problem is same on both cameras.
    Once it happens and you stop capture and then capture again over same point picture and sound are fine.
    Its really bad as you have to watch every second of download.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, yes the C drive also holds system
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For starters never capture to your system drive (C: drive). You are only asking for trouble. You will need a dedicated drive for captures.
    However, the fact that you are running Windows XP may also limit your expansion options. What is the model number of your motherboard?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really do not think the model no of the mainboard makes a difference here (unless you have a DELL or a HP since both tend to have limited expansion capabilities). I have had several since 2003 when I first had XP and I always had more than one HDD (and a couple of CD/DVD drives). In fact I still use XP and now run 4 HDD + 2 as logical drives. The limit is in size and who needs more than 2 TB ?

@OP. As stated it not a good idea to capture with one HDD. If you have a laptop then that may be understandable (although you could still use an external) but with a desktop that does not apply. This 'juddering' is caused by your OS accessing the HDD at the same time as you are trying to capture and the net result will be a poor capture and lots of dropped frames.

So get another HDD and problem is solved.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your replies. Motherboard is ASUS -P8H61-MXUSB3 INTEL SKT1155. Capture card is FIREWIRE PCI EXPRESS.What would be a good size extra HDD to fit to capture HD video and do you install the video studio programm on there or leave it on C Drive. THanks again for all your input, Barry
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS I have 3 DVD decks in the unit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also I have a external 1 TB drive running on a usb2 lead. I use it to save photos, etc. Is have any good to save onto?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you need 3 DVD decks ? Do you have a spare SATA slot in the PC ?

No, you install ALL programs on the C Drive and just capture on the other.

Try the USB external. It may not be fast enough for HD capture. 2 TB is the maximum. But I, personally, would partition that into 2 * 1 TB. Then you capture on one and store the edits on the other.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with DB83 with trying the USB external. If you have problems capturing to it, you may want to just remove one of your DVD drives (if they all take up your SATA connectors) and install an internal drive. At times I have even removed external drives from their enclosures and installed them as internal drives. You could also just get an external USB-3 drive.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm still confused what is being captured and causing you the all the trouble, then i just saw you said you are capturing HD.

are you analog capturing the videos ?
    or, transfering from camcorder to pc vid direct link cable ?
    at what resolution? (SD 720x480) or (HD 720p, 1080i/p) ?
    raw ?
    uncompressed ?
    lossless compressed ?
    m2ts (mpeg/avc) ?
    avc (h264) ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I googled both of his cameras and they are both HDV.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  14. Other things to try: turn off background services such as antivrus, automatic indexing, and system restore. Use a lightweight capture utility like HDVsplit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so it is a straight transfer, like dv except is now in hd format and new container. as you can see i'm new to hdv. anyway.

what about you using hdvsplit instead ? i was just reading about it and if you are having issues then you can turn off preview in hdvsplit and just use the viewer on the camcorder instead. then open in your videos your software timeline.

hdvsplit: http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm
    article: http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=28&id=49612&Itemid=81
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am transfering straight from camcorder in to the PC via a direct link cable via the capture card mention earlier in thread.To be fair this break-up of picture and sound also happens when I use DV recordings in the camera. I have tried capturing to the external drive and it seems to work OK but I will give it a proper long test whilst watching it closely. If its clear I will fit an internal 2TB drive as suggested . Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions, I will let you know how things go but in the meantime if there is
    any other ideas I would be glad to receive them. And happy new year to everyone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by basa10
    any other ideas I would be glad to receive them.
    I'd like to know first if you have a buffer that is activated when you capture (which I believe is overloading during your captures).

What could be happening is that, depending on several circumstances, your system keeps falling further and further behind in the capture, and attempts to "hold" those extra frames (in a buffer), but can't hold on any longer when some limit is reached (as per your 5-20 minutes later you mentioned). The judder you mention could be when your capture begins to collapse (and likely drop many frames thereafter).

This is why stopping and starting the capture aleviates the problem. You clear the buffer and give your system time to catch up, or make it work in smaller more manageable doses. However, I'm sure you find it a pain to keep doing this.

You will know you have a buffer in progress when you stop the capture - is it still processing AFTER the capture (finishing up those frames still surviving in the capture)? If so, we have at least identified your problem.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks for input. I have tried two 45 minute sample downloads to my external Hard drive and they seem OK. have ordered a extra HD to fit internally.But if trouble is still there after capturing to new drive, have you any ideas on how to stop this buffering happening.
    Thanks again, Barry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by basa10 View Post
    Hi, thanks for input. I have tried two 45 minute sample downloads to my external Hard drive and they seem OK. have ordered a extra HD to fit internally.But if trouble is still there after capturing to new drive, have you any ideas on how to stop this buffering happening.
    Thanks again, Barry
    But is it a buffer issue? You will know when you stop a longer capture and the application is still processing something. That means it was behind and is taking the opportunity to catch up.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, will fit hard drive when I get it as I think its a good idea anyway and then go from there. Happy new year to you. will post what happens when drive is in! In the meantime I will try a long capture and see how long it
    takes to process.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I promised to let you all know when I got the hard drive fitted. I dont seem to get the juddering now but every now and again the capture loses perhaps 1 or 2 seconds and then carries on as normal . So it seems it is getting slightly in front of itself and then loses some frames . I have switched the virus protection off whilst capturing. The programme doesn't allow for any lightening of the video and of course I need to make the DVD in top quality . Friends, any ideas onwards? bARRY
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Allfurther info, I have load the HDVSLPIT prog and yes it does work in that it still loses frames but you can set it to stop when that happens. Not the complete answer but its better than it was. Any ideas on how I can stop it buffering completely???
    Quote Quote