+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have a Sony VX2100 (NTSC) and a MacBook Pro, and a Wide Screen TV:
    MacBook Pro 2011
    MAC OSX
    4GB RAM
    i7 core 4
    500GB HD
    I have been video editing for a few years now, but feel like my Videos aren't good enough quality. I want to be able to video a few scenes Capture them into Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and then export for DVD Quality. I will take the exported file and use a DVD program such as DVD studio Pro to make the final DVD. The Problem/question I have is after I shoot my video, what settings do I capture with for minimal quality loss in CS5 and then what settings do I export to for minimal quality loss? I have a wide screen tv, should I actually shoot the video in 16:9 format, or just leave it at 4:3. I want the video to fit the entire wide screen TV and look Superb!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you don't get to choose how to capture. miniDV is it, only one standard. yes you can shoot/edit/export widescreen. render using the highest bitrate you can up to filling a dvd but under the dvd max spec. depending on your audio choice 9mbps is usually tops.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ron's Creations View Post
    Hi, I have a Sony VX2100 (NTSC) and a MacBook Pro, and a Wide Screen TV:
    MacBook Pro 2011
    MAC OSX
    4GB RAM
    i7 core 4
    500GB HD
    I have been video editing for a few years now, but feel like my Videos aren't good enough quality. I want to be able to video a few scenes Capture them into Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and then export for DVD Quality. I will take the exported file and use a DVD program such as DVD studio Pro to make the final DVD. The Problem/question I have is after I shoot my video, what settings do I capture with for minimal quality loss in CS5 and then what settings do I export to for minimal quality loss? I have a wide screen tv, should I actually shoot the video in 16:9 format, or just leave it at 4:3. I want the video to fit the entire wide screen TV and look Superb!
    The VX2100 is a great camcorder but will not do native 16:9. Instead in 16:9 mode, it reads from a smaller letterboxed area of the three sensors. This means vertical resolution suffers in wide mode.

As said by aedipuss, a Firewire capture to CS5 has no resolution settings. If you shot standard 4:3, the camera scales the 4:3 video to 720x480. If you shot wide, the camera scales the 16:9 area of the sensor to 720x480. You should set your Premiere Pro project setting to match standard or wide camera settings. If Premiere fails to read the wide flag, you can fix it in clip properties.

If you shot in wide mode and set a wide project, then your preview windows should be displaying 16:9 video in proper scale. When finished, set your Adobe Media Encoder to DVD Wide MPeg2. For best quality you should encode CBR at ~9500 Kb/s, lower field first with audio compressed to 224 Kb/s AC-3 or mp2. That will give you a little over one hour per DVD layer.

If you shot 4:3, you would need to crop a 16:9 portion out of the 4:3 video or add side bars.

Name:  16-9pillarbox.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  13.5 KB

Name:  16x9crop.png
Views: 1123
Size:  126.5 KB
    Last edited by edDV; 16th Mar 2011 at 19:50.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for replying, I understand more now. When I export it as MPEG-2 DVD I do not have the option to set the Bitrate to ~9500 Kb/s, but have a Slider for Three CBR that go up to 9 Mb/s. Should I slide all three of these all the way to 9? ( See attached picture) Also when I encode this way, it create 4 seperate files. A .m2v, .wav, .xmp, .m2v.xmpses
    What are the last two files used for? See Pic also.

----- Edit---
    Ok, I played around with the settings some more and found that I can change the Bitrate Encoding to "CBR" and then I only have one slider, But as far as audio, the above 4 files were created by Using PCM as audio, if I change it to MPEG 1 layer II then my resulting video plays with NO audio and the .wav file is replaced with a .mpa file.
    Also, what does Lower field first do?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 9.12.53 AM.png
Views:	606
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	6066  

Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron's Creations; 18th Mar 2011 at 08:59. Reason: added more info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to keep PCM audio, then you subtract 1536 Kb/s from 9800 for ~8250 Kb/s CBR video rate. If you want higher video bit rate, you must compress audio to AC3 or mp2 to be in DVD spec. Typical compressed audio rate would be 224 Kb/s for stereo but more can be used.

I don't have CS5 on Mac so can't help with menus. Maybe others can.

Note that Premiere and other programs default MPeg2 VBR bit rates too low for typical home camcorder video. Most home users will prefer higher video quality at one hour length vs. mediocre quality at 90 minutes. Shaky, noisy home camcorder video doesn't VBR compress well anyway. Just use CBR and 1 hour per disc or go to dual layer.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Mar 2011 at 11:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The VX2100 shoots 480i interlace DV format. All DV format versions use lower field first for interlace. You should also set DVD MPeg2 to lower field first when encoding. The DVD player will read this and output fields in the correct order.

When fields are encoded out of order, you will see jerky video during motion scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The VX2100 shoots 480i interlace DV format. All DV format versions use lower field first for interlace. You should also set DVD MPeg2 to lower field first when encoding. The DVD player will read this and output fields in the correct order.

When fields are encoded out of order, you will see jerky video during motion scenes.
    Thanks, I also have another camcorder I like to use in dim scenes once in a while because of its 0 lux, but it videos on Hi-8 tapes. Would this still be considered DV and use LFF?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Thanks, I also have another camcorder I like to use in dim scenes once in a while because of its 0 lux, but it videos on Hi-8 tapes. Would this still be considered DV and use LFF?
    Hi8 is analog. Field order depends on how it is captured. If you capture through your VX2100, the result will be lower field first 480i DV. This would be ideal for mixing with DV format source.

If you capture through a tuner card, the result will usually be top field first. Premiere can deal with mixed field order clips so long as they are properly identified in clip properties.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have a Sony Hi-8 Camcoder with a iEEE Firewire port that I use to Video onto the Hi-8 tape then capture using the same camcorder because the tapes are too large to fit in my VX2100. So this means it captures UFF and I will need to Label the footage as UFF in Premiere pro? Then it would be ok to output the whole project as LFF if I have mixed LFF and UFF videos?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony Hi-8 Camcoder with a iEEE Firewire port that I use to Video onto the Hi-8 tape then capture using the same camcorder because the tapes are too large to fit in my VX2100. So this means it captures UFF and I will need to Label the footage as UFF in Premiere pro? Then it would be ok to output the whole project as LFF if I have mixed LFF and UFF videos?
    What you have is a Digital8 camcorder if it has an IEEE-1394 port. It records to digital DV format same as the VX2100 so is LFF and the captured file is completely compatible. It most likely will have the same 16:9 issues as the VX.

Some Digital8 camcorders will play analog Hi8 tapes and convert to DV format over IEEE-1394 while playing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure the second cam is hi8 and not digital8? analog cams don't have firewire ports that i recall.

[edit] too slow
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. You guys are right, it is a Digital 8. I use Hi-8 tapes and therefore thought it was a Hi-8 camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You guys are right, it is a Digital 8. I use Hi-8 tapes and therefore thought it was a Hi-8 camcorder.
    Digital8 records DV format to Hi8 tape.

MiniDV records DV format to DVC tape.

HDV records MPeg2 TS to DVC tape.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks Guys, I really have learned alot. I switched from Windows about 1 month ago to a mac. I was using AVI files and using a Cheap editor to produce my MPEG-2 files for DVD. I always heard how mac was better with video editing, so i bit the bullet and purchased a mac and CS5. Now that I have followed your suggestions, I encoded my fist video and created a very nice DVD menu with Encore and am very pleased with the final product. The mac investment was really worth it. Now my next big purchase will be a better camera than the VX2100. What would be a good suggestion for a HD Camcorder that does well in low light? Thanks so much - Ron <><
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys, I really have learned alot. I switched from Windows about 1 month ago to a mac. I was using AVI files and using a Cheap editor to produce my MPEG-2 files for DVD. I always heard how mac was better with video editing, so i bit the bullet and purchased a mac and CS5. Now that I have followed your suggestions, I encoded my fist video and created a very nice DVD menu with Encore and am very pleased with the final product. The mac investment was really worth it. Now my next big purchase will be a better camera than the VX2100. What would be a good suggestion for a HD Camcorder that does well in low light? Thanks so much - Ron <><
    Thank Adobe, not Apple. Nothing "better" about OSX for video. You could have used CS5 on Wintel for less hardware investment.

HD is a new kettle of sharks. Difficult to beat the VX2100 for low light. What is your budget.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It will be awhile before I have enough saved up for any new equipment, but was looking at the Sony FX7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It will be awhile before I have enough saved up for any new equipment, but was looking at the Sony FX7.
    HD low light requires dividing photons into smaller pixels for either a single Bayer sensor or through a prism to three sensors. You compensate with a larger more efficient lens or you live with more noise in trade for resolution. Can't have both.

The more objective low light camcorder measurements are at camcorderinfo.com

What are you shooting? Why the low light need?

The obvious solution is to light your set.
    Quote Quote