VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having some problems trying to convert things with AVCHDCoder.

What I'm trying to do is convert MKV files to make them smaller in sizer, changing the bitrate. And this program was recommended to me here on Videohelp.

So I wonder if anyone is using it.

I'm getting "Error Code 0x0401 - An error occurred while encoding video."

It has already happened with two different files, so now I can't say it was a file problem.

Any hints on what might be happening?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    easier to just try some other program. plenty of encoders out there. mediacoder, vidcoder, handbrake, etc....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone recommend one they are actually using and are happy with?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you go through *all* the installation steps?

First of all, have the program install the needed auxiliary programs: splitter, ffdshow, aviSynth, IIRC. AVCHDCoder also has an included utility that can test your configuration. It's touchy about which versions of the above you have. And if you have a codec pack already installed, good luck getting everything to work.

[EDIT] Ripbot can do what you're asking, i.e. re-encode an MKV and output an MKV. AVCHDCoder only outputs AVCHD/Blu-Ray structure.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Did you go through *all* the installation steps?

First of all, have the program install the needed auxiliary programs: splitter, ffdshow, aviSynth, IIRC. AVCHDCoder also has an included utility that can test your configuration. It's touchy about which versions of the above you have. And if you have a codec pack already installed, good luck getting everything to work.

[EDIT] Ripbot can do what you're asking, i.e. re-encode an MKV and output an MKV. AVCHDCoder only outputs AVCHD/Blu-Ray structure.
    So then it was it that worked havoc upon my codecs?

My subtitle program went crazy, and now even VLC is weird, in spite of having gone back to another restore point.

Sorry, such destructive programs should be outlawed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry to hear about that.

I haven't played with AVCHDCoder for at least a year, so I was going from memory. I don't have it installed now and don't foresee using it again. But I used it without any ill effects and was able to revert to different versions of the auxiliary software when I uninstalled it.

Anyway, I'd uninstall Avisynth, ffdshow and Haali splitter. With Haali, you should also manually remove the program folder, because it sometimes doesn't uninstall correctly, and a re-install will only be corrupted. Then I'd run CCleaner and reboot before re-installing any of those programs.

I should think that will fix it for you. Maybe re-install your subtitle program as well. If that doesn't do it, you may be looking at an OS re-install.

All I have in the way of codecs are ffdshow and Haali, that's it. Since I started doing it that way, I've had no real problems. Do you have a codec pack installed? That would explain a lot.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 14th Sep 2012 at 20:53.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's quite likely I will reinstall W7 again, even if I will clean it from those programs as you suggest first.

Now I'm not writing from home, where my desktop is and already processed this file overnight with Vidcoder, to see how it performs when I get back. We'll see if it works and if it's better than Xilisoft, which is my only reference until now but could be improved.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I must say Vidcoder seems to be proving to be a very good converter.

My first conversion with it went smoothly, on the spot in size and it does seem better than Xilisoft.
    Quote Quote