VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I spent countless hours trying to hardcode or burn in subtitles to an existing mp4 file. VLC seemed promising but ultimately failed. As did Handbrake. Nothing would work for me. Nothing. I ended up having to use tmpgenc to hardcode them and re-encode the video, which I know is a requirement.

The confusion started after I landed on Handbrakes subtitle page here: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles

If you look under "Subtitle Outputs" and then the very last option it says SSA Subtitles. To me this means you can import SSA style subtitles using handbrake and then burn them into the video. Obviously, Handbrake only has an option in the program to import SRT files, but you can press * in the file open box and choose SSA that way. Once doing that, you do have an option to select the box for burn in, but it doesn't work at all.

Can someone clarify what the SSA support really means for Handbrake?

Thanks!

**UPDATE**

Whoops. Should have searched. Just saw: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357540-Burn-subtitles-with-Handbrake

Apologies
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use xvid4psp 5 to burn subs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. Overall, it may be easier than going back and fourth
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Vidcoder. It works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We get a LOT of posts from people who say "I can't burn subs with Handbrake". A year or two ago I had the need to burn in some subs as a one of thing for a friend and I tried using Handbrake and I never got it to work. In the end it just proved a lot easier to use something else. I went with Xvid4PSP but I think others have said that Vidcoder is also good for this task just like dfisher052 suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    Have you tried Vidcoder. It works for me.
    thanks
    Last edited by MindController; 5th Apr 2014 at 06:51.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I recently wrote a blog article about Using Handbrake to Burn in Subtitles for MP4. Maybe that can help
    Last edited by s00tie; 5th Sep 2014 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote