VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by b1972630 View Post
    Solution Brief: Error in Media Coder - "This application has failed to start because NVCUVENC.DLL was not found"

Reason: NVCUVENC.DLL not follow the new drivers.

Do this:

1) Go to the Nvidia site (http://www.geforce.com/drivers) and download previous versions of the drivers for the model of your video card

2) Unzip the executable using a program like 7zip, Winzip, Zipper, etc ...

3) Go to the folder and look Display.Driver of the following files: nvcuvenc.dl_, nvcuvenc32.dl_ or nvcuvenc64.dl_ and copy this file to your drive c: \. Should you not find any of these files then go back to the Nvidia site and download older drivers

4) Start menu, run type cmd + enter

5) Run the extract command: c: \ expand xxxxx.dl_xxxxx.dll. Example: c:\expand nvcuvenc.dl_ nvcuvenc.dll or c:\expand nvcuvenc32.dl_ nvcuvenc32.dll or c:\expand nvcuvenc64.dl_ nvcuvenc64.dll
    Tried this, i get a c:\expand not recognized as a command
    I'm on win7 x64 ultimate
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    It's also not the encoder component in general that's discontinued.

It's just the old nvcuenc component, the newer nvcenc one works fine.

=> Yes, the thread title is misleading since CUDA has nothing to do with this. nvcuenc, which is discontinued, doesn't use CUDA, it uses the encoder chip on the graphic card.

Cu Selur
    Please forgive if this is a stupid question...but does anyone know if there is any impact on Adobe Premiereīs Mercury playback engine? (upgrading NVidia drivers?)
    Quote Quote  
  3. The only thing that was removed was a dll which allows to access a decoder, so I doubt it has any effect on a playback engine.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    The only thing that was removed was a dll which allows to access a decoder, so I doubt it has any effect on a playback engine.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. The c:\expand command finally worked but i'm still in trouble with these nvcuenc.dll-nvcuenc64.dll; i've placed them in the sys32 /sys64 folders respectively yet none of the cuda encoders work ( mediacoder/mainconcept ). I'm at a loss.I'm using the .dll from the 320.18 drivers version
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by b1972630 View Post
    3) Go to the folder and look Display.Driver of the following files: nvcuvenc.dl_, nvcuvenc32.dl_ or nvcuvenc64.dl_ and copy this file to your drive c: \. Should you not find any of these files then go back to the Nvidia site and download older drivers

4) Start menu, run type cmd + enter

5) Run the extract command: c: \ expand xxxxx.dl_xxxxx.dll. Example: c:\expand nvcuvenc.dl_ nvcuvenc.dll or c:\expand nvcuvenc32.dl_ nvcuvenc32.dll or c:\expand nvcuvenc64.dl_ nvcuvenc64.dll
    Actually, 7-Zip can decompress the .??_ files as well The ??_ extension means a .CAB archive which contains only one file
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Good move by NVIDIA, this was discontinued for long time!
    Developers could and should have known this was coming for a long time.

It seem to be the latest national computer pastime: people refusing to move on from outdated and obsolete software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There are some free softwares that support NVENC [OBS, FFmpeg does now, at least those]. FWIW.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got mine to work with the Pavtube Converter by installing 64 bit nvcuenc.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and 32 bit one to C:\Windows\System32.

Next, from a command prompt as administrator I ran regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\nvcuenc.dll. I did the same thing for SysWOW64.

This got my Pavtube Converter working and still allows me to update GeForce drivers without interfering.

Richard
    Quote Quote  
  10. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    NVIDIA removed the nvcuvenc.dll file from the GeForce drivers since 340.43...

Download cuda_enc_windows7_8_64bit.zip and copy&paste the nvcuvenc.dll file to the designated folder. (C:\Windows\System32\nvcuvenc.dll and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvcuvenc.dll)

http://www.bandicam.com/img/forum/cuda_enc_windows7_8_64bit.zip
    http://www.bandicam.com/img/forum/cuda_enc_windows7_8_32bit.zip
    Aaaaaaaargh! So this is why on my older GTX 660 and Bandicam video encoding by CUDA works, but it won't work on my new GTX 960...!

Thank you very much, nVidia!

...gotta test this...
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I copied the appropriate (32 bit or 64 bit) to the folder that contains the application executable. Previously, I had placed it in System32 and registered it. NVidia deleted it on the next upgrade.

When looking for dll's Windows checks the application executable folder before it checks the system32 folder. This way, NVidia will not delete the dll on the next upgrade.

gravityman
    Quote Quote  
  12. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I copied the files into the System32 and SysWOW64 dirs and registred them - regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvcuvenc.dll - (it somehow did not want to register the file in System32 dir) and Bandicam works just nicely. And since this is just a testing machine and I did NOT plan on drivers update, then I believe I will be fine As lond, as Bandicam works, I'm happy

The performance while recording is not that good on GTX 960, tough. Sometimes it in BF3 drop to 51fps (recording full size, 1280x1024 @ 30fps), witch I would consider low. Maybe I should try that CPU + GPU selection, but I thought that 960 could handle it alone. My eVGA GTX 660 FTW do it rather nicely, droping in WoT recording to 41fps at worst, but since it have not a suxxking 128bit memory bus, but a 192bit one, then it might compensate well...? Dunno.
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  13. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    pls delete doublepost
    Last edited by trodas; 5th Dec 2015 at 16:00. Reason: doublepost
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I originally put nvcuenc.dll in System32 and SysWow64, but an NVidia update deleted them. I then put them in the application executable folder. I chose 32 bit because my application was 32 bit. It works great and NVidia updates won't affect them!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    NVIDIA removed the nvcuvenc.dll file from the GeForce drivers since 340.43...

Download cuda_enc_windows7_8_64bit.zip and copy&paste the nvcuvenc.dll file to the designated folder. (C:\Windows\System32\nvcuvenc.dll and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvcuvenc.dll)

http://www.bandicam.com/img/forum/cuda_enc_windows7_8_32bit.zip
    Aaaaaaaargh! So this is why on my older GTX 660 and Bandicam video encoding by CUDA works, but it won't work on my new GTX 960...!

Thank you very much, nVidia!

...gotta test this...

Will these .dll files work on my GTX970 as the oldest drivers for the 900 series are later than the last drivers that supported CUDA. Or has the functionality been removed from the 900 series cards? (GTX950, GTX970, GTX980, GTX980Ti, Titan X).

I grabbed the zips but would like to know if it works with these cards.

EDIT: I went ahead and tested the .dll files and no dice for me. I tested by using Pavtube Bytecopy and tried a DVD rip both with and without CUDA enabled.

First of all the CUDA settings were no longer greyed out. The encode without CUDA enabled would take 0h:22m:50s and with CUDA enabled would take 0h:45m:55s. So instead of speeding up encoding, on a GTX970 it make encoding take TWICE as long.

PowerDirector 14 took the same time with CUDA on as it did with CUDA off.

And I went back to basics with DVDfab as years ago with my old 1Gb GTX550Ti, DVDfab a 1 and a half hour blu-ray rip was done in 20mins and when I tried it today it started as 45mins processing 49FPS and in 5 mins it was going to talk 3 hours and was only processing 7FPS. (On a 4Gb GTX970).

I guess that Nvidia made sure all video cards manufactured after the dumping of CUDA in the drivers had no CUDA functionality in the Hardware. (I am only guessing here).
    Last edited by Hoover1979; 31st Dec 2015 at 22:59. Reason: Adding more info, correcting typos
    Quote Quote  
  16. Will these .dll files work on my GTX970 as the oldest drivers for the 900 series are later than the last drivers that supported CUDA. Or has the functionality been removed from the 900 series cards? ... I guess that Nvidia made sure all video cards manufactured after the dumping of CUDA in the drivers had no CUDA functionality in the Hardware. (I am only guessing here).
    This has nothing to do with CUDA.
    The support for the old encoder chip (nvcuenc) was removed from newer drivers, they only support the newer encoder chip (nvenc).
    The best thing would have been if they kept the support active for older cards and only switch it out for newer cards, but that would have probably meant more development than they thought it was worth.
    Using an application which uses the old chip (nvcuenc) with a newer card doesn't make sense since the new card doesn't have the old encoder chip.

Cu Selur

Ps.: the confusion with CUDA just happened because they first named the old encoder CUDA encoder, which was a mistake since CUDA was never involved.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  17. What about Freemake Video Converter? Is this possible to get to work old CUDA files in Windows 10 64-bit? Freemake is 32-bit.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Why are people with 900 series cards trying to use nvcuenc? nvenc is much faster, produces better quality . Some freeware GUIs that support NVEnc include staxrip ,hybrid, handbrake, NVEncC (CLI by rigaya), ffmpeg (but you have to build it yourself)

For those with older unsupported cards, try to find an older mediacoder build (maybe 3-4 years old), it supports the old encoder , but you might have to run older Nvidia drivers
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Computerman1 View Post
    What about Freemake Video Converter? Is this possible to get to work old CUDA files in Windows 10 64-bit? Freemake is 32-bit.
    Yeah this work with this guide

"NVIDIA removed the nvcuvenc.dll file from the GeForce drivers since 340.43...

http://www.bandicam.com/img/forum/cuda_enc_windows7_8_32bit.zip"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can still use old Nvidia CUDA cards with freemake video converter

Step 1
    manually select and download "the last" backward compatible CUDA driver from the NVIDIA website - in my case a GT9800
    see - http://www.geforce.com/drivers - select manual driver search and select your video card
    download and install Version 332.21 Release Date Tue Jan 07, 2014
    *Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5.5 or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit.

select cuda in freemake video converter options

Step 2
    DXVA support for freemake video converter for windows XP / windows 2000
    (even though freemake says it does not support DXVA in XP or Win2000- lol)

download and install the DirectX 9.0c driver from microsoft at
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=34429

select DXVA in freemake video converter options

Selecting CUDA option speeds up H.264 encoding
    Selecting DXVA option speeds up H.264, MPEG2, VC-1 playback in freemake application
    for further info see - http://www.freemake.com/blog/cuda-dxva-easily-explained/

The auto option is definitely slower with the older video cards so use the CUDA / DXVA options instead. The freemake log files displays that both of these drivers are recognized and enabled if selected.

============ =============
    Last edited by goan69; 29th May 2016 at 03:05.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!