VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

I was recently given an oldish black gold capture card and i thought this would be a great opportunity to transfer some of my old VHS footage to DVD.

I am trying this on a budget so i know this set up is not optimal, but here is my hardware / software set up.

The VHS i am using does not have a S Video out or audio outs, so i am using a SCART to S Video - 2 channel audio converter.

The signal then goes via S Video lead and audio leads to the capture card.

Software used to capture is Nero Vision.

My problem is with the sound. There is a fast beating noise in the background. Kind of like someone is playing some kind of bassline music. I have tried capturing from my sky+ box and this sound is not there. It is only present when capturing from the VHS.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See if you can go directly from your VHS player to HDD without all the SCART hardware in line. Even co-ax cable might work just for a test.

I submit that you're getting some sort of feedback loop through the 2-channel converter. Those things are notorious for creating noise, or amplifying any periferal noise that might already be there.

Any other capture software you can try would be good too. Nero's not good for much.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks dadrab, i will give it a go and post the results here.
    "Pull your tongue out of my ar$e hole Gary...dogs do that. Your not a dog are you Gary?"
    "Err no...."
    "But you do have all the characteristics of a dog Gary...all except loyalty."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's probably the sound of VHS Hi-Fi stereo when the tracking is wrong, or the tape is old, or your VCR doesn't like the tape.

Fiddle with the tracking, try a different tape and VCR, and if you still have the problem, live with it.

(You can filter it out in an audio editor, but you will lose the wanted bass of the original audio too).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote