VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody
    I would like to buy next week one av receiver but I am a little confused, so basicaly I would appreciate some advice in this matter.
    My top 3 choice would be : Sony DA1200ES, Yamaha RX-V661 or Onkyo TX-SR605. With one of these receivers I will buy also Jamo S606 HCS3.

What av receiver would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a couple of pointers - get as many hdmi inputs as you possibly can for future proofing. Even if you don't have hdtv now you will someday and wish you had it.

Point 2 - if you still use a record player see that it has a phono input and a ground.

Point 3 - Check if it does dolby true hd and the newest dts for the bluray/hddvd players.

Then decide on your budget. If you can accomodate all three (or two sans record player) then that is the receiver you should get.

Also - consider how many fiber optic or digital coax input jacks you need for your current equipment. If you have a ps2, xbox, and more than you will also need that as well as one for your current non-hdmi enabled equipment.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Just a couple of pointers - get as many hdmi inputs as you possibly can for future proofing. Even if you don't have hdtv now you will someday and wish you had it.

Point 2 - if you still use a record player see that it has a phono input and a ground.

Point 3 - Check if it does dolby true hd and the newest dts for the bluray/hddvd players.

Then decide on your budget. If you can accomodate all three (or two sans record player) then that is the receiver you should get.

Also - consider how many fiber optic or digital coax input jacks you need for your current equipment. If you have a ps2, xbox, and more than you will also need that as well as one for your current non-hdmi enabled equipment.
    I will surrely take into consideration what you explained to me, but now I would like to ask you, which one of those 3 would you go for?

Thanks

Basicaly I want to connect a dvd player, the pc and maybe an xbox to the receiver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are not looking for high def connectivity right now than simply get the cheapest. Make sure it has at least dolby digital pro logic 2 and dts for decent dvd audio.

(by the way is it an xbox 1 or 360? If its a 360 than look for hdmi if it's an elite model - the newest - if its a non-elite 360 than you don't have hdmi and can still get just a basic non hdmi receiver).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yoda313
    If you are not looking for high def connectivity right now than simply get the cheapest. Make sure it has at least dolby digital pro logic 2 and dts for decent dvd audio.

(by the way is it an xbox 1 or 360? If its a 360 than look for hdmi if it's an elite model - the newest - if its a non-elite 360 than you don't have hdmi and can still get just a basic non hdmi receiver).
    None of those 3 are bad, actualy all 3 are very good receivers for the price range,500-600 euros.
    Regarding the xbox, I would like to buy one, probably the xbox 360 elite version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would get the Onkyo, but that is just based on personal prefernce. I've had better luck Onkyo over Sony (I've never had a Yamaha).

But as pointed out above, it boils down to 1)what you need, 2) what you want, 3) cost. If you want to save money now, get an older non-HDMI unit. They will easily sell for less than half the cost of the models you have listed above.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A big warning on HDMI ports and switches on A/V receivers. Most are not HDCP compliant.

HDMI carries audio and video. The A/V receiver strips the audio off the HDMI input and then passes Video+audio to the TV. This works today with DVD players and some cable boxes. Current BluRay and HD DVDs do not have HDCP enabled so these now work but new discs with HDCP enabled will require the A/V receiver to be HDCP capable to pass high definition content and to strip audio.

Hollywood interests are also seeking the "broadcast flag" that will also require an HDCP encrypted path from the TV or cable/sat tuner to the TV monitor. If enacted these signals will not pass through an A/V receiver without HDCP capability. Essentially you will need to bypass the receiver or buy a new receiver.
    Quote Quote