VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm just wondering, planning to buy a Sony DV-nc665p.w/ progressive scan...will it destroy my tv if i use the progressibve scan feature? Thanks for any reply...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no way you can enjoy the progressive scan feature un less your tv is hdtv ready with component video in (RED/GREEN/BLUE) rca inputs because your tv needs to be able to display 480p (progressive) which is like a line doubler.If your tv is an anolog tv the best you can get is 480i which is an interlaced connection which in case even if your tv has component video in and you set your dvd player to progressive all you will get is a screen full of static. And finally the only way to get progressive is by component 480p inputs and thats all because s-video cannot give you a progressive scan picture,I hope this helps. P.s. sell your old tv and get an hdtv they start at $800.00 bucks and up.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will render your T.V. useless, and will force you to buy a new HDTV ...

Just kidding

Well part of it's true. You'll only truly get to enjoy the progressive scan on either your computer monitor, or an HDTV, since they both support progressive scan..

Good luck!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. guys...thanks for ur reply
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I just bought a Sony DVP NC-875V DVD Player with progressive scan and connected to my old VPL CS10 Sony projector via the component video cable. The problem is that I can't see anything. Not only from this DVD but neither with the old DVD player that hasn't progressive scan. Can anybody give me some orientation??!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you prob have it switched to RGB . not component
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that you don't need HDTV to enjoy progressive scan.

All that is necessary is a component connection. If you have components on your TV, than hook up a progressive scan dvd player via component and you will get progressive
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by IAmNotAPirate

All that is necessary is a component connection. If you have components on your TV, than hook up a progressive scan dvd player via component and you will get progressive
    I wish that were true. Mine is a 1080i, which is supposed to switch to 480p, but I am unable to switch it to view progressive. It could be me, there's no info in the user manual for the tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by IAmNotAPirate
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that you don't need HDTV to enjoy progressive scan.

Not true for a conventional TV but there is an intermediate step called EDTV (720x480 progressive 60 frames per second).
    See this thread for the issues.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244182
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ancient4
    Hello, I just bought a Sony DVP NC-875V DVD Player with progressive scan and connected to my old VPL CS10 Sony projector via the component video cable. The problem is that I can't see anything. Not only from this DVD but neither with the old DVD player that hasn't progressive scan. Can anybody give me some orientation??!!
    for a projector, you need progressive input, not interlaced
    Quote Quote  
  11. What I mean is that any TV can display 480p, right?

480i is standard, plug in a progressive DVD player with component, and you get 480p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    projectors can take interlaced input -- any projector ..

tv may not display 480p , some can .. but not just run of the mill tv will play 480p
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by IAmNotAPirate
    What I mean is that any TV can display 480p, right?

480i is standard, plug in a progressive DVD player with component, and you get 480p.
    No, regular NTSC TV is 480i, period.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running my progressive scan dvd player into my new Phillips HDTV Monitor (PHL 27PT8302) via S-Video. Does S-Video allow for progressive scan? Or should I use the component output? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You must use the components not s-video for progressive scan
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ok, learn something new everyday.

So there is no advantage to getting a progressive scan DVD if you have a standard Tv (even though I do have an HDTV)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might as well get one though so it will serve you down the road.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and since they are now the same price basicly anyway
    Quote Quote