VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello:

I have successfully captured a few VHSs to my computer using Diamond One Touch Video Capture and AVStoDVD editing software. However, I assume there will be a problem burning my latest file to a DVD disk, since I forgot to turn the capturing off and the resulting file is 13 GB in size.

I am so very new to this that I need to ask what program (preferable free) that I can use to shorten the file to where the actual VHS content ended (most of the 13 GB file is, of course, "empty"). I also have MKVToolNix, but I do not know what it is used for.

Also, is there any way to get the capturing to turn off when there is no more content on the VHS? Then, again, there could, of course, be empty space and then more content, so ...!?

Grateful for a tip.

Hans L
    Quote Quote  
  2. This was capped in DVD compliant MPEG-2 video and some kind of compliant audio, AC3, maybe? And you just want to remove before and after the stuff you want to keep? And it's in VOB format? If so, that's easy. I usually use the original MPEG2Cut for the job. That or the more recent MPEG2Cut2 can both isolate the part you want to keep.

And I know of no way to have your device stop the capture. My DV caps can be automatically be stopped after a set number of frames. See if yours has something similar.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, Manono.

The resulting file after capturing is a .mpg file. It would be great if I could edit already in that file.

After I burn to a DVD, I get VIDEO_TS with .vob files, but the thing is that it is the .mpg file that is too long to put on the 4.7 GB disk (the mpg file is 13 GB). However, I guess I can burn, and the burning will stop when the disk runs out of space, nad then, I can do the editing.

However, I really need a way to edit the .mpg files, since they take up too much space on my computer, and then, when extraneous material is removed, I know if they fit on one disk only or if more than one disk is needed.

Any ideas there?

Regards,

Hans L
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hans L View Post
    The resulting file after capturing is a .mpg file.
    AviDemux - just make sure you cut on a Key Frame, makes things a lot easier.
    Video
    COPY

Audio
    COPY

Format
    MPEG-PS
    will be the settings you will use(on the left side of the program).
    Make sure you place .MPG at the end of your new file's name.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Hech. I downlodade, installed and edited, and went to the end of the DVD content in my mpg file in AviDemux, and saved, but it saved the entire file (same size as before). Help is not easy to find (for my particular problem), so let me ask what I need to do to save only to where the progress bar "mover" is (end of content in .mpg file).

Also, while I read the definition of "Key Frame," it does not seem easy to cut on a Key frame (not even sure what "on" the frame means, even after reading the def – Wikipedia: " key frame in animation and filmmaking is a drawing that defines the starting and ending points of any smooth transition.")

Regards,

Hans L
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Go to the end of the video you want to keep.
    The double arrow buttons are key frames(if you hover your mouse pointer over the button it should say previous/next Key Frame).
    At the end of your video....press the Key Frames arrow forward or back to get the precise cutting point....then press A
    Drag the slider all the way to the end of the video file....press B.
    Got to EDIT.....then click CUT.

Now you should be left with only the portion of the video that you want.
    Now:
    Video
    COPY

Audio
    COPY

Format
    MPEG-PS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hans L View Post
    It would be great if I could edit already in that file.
    I already told you how to do it. Did you even try?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It would be great if I could edit already in that file.
    I already told you how to do it. Did you even try?
    No, I did not try, because you asked me "And it's in VOB format?", which made me believe that the app only worked with that format. I now see it works with other formats as well. I will try it if the other app I tried does not work out for me.

Hans L
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Go to the end of the video you want to keep.
    The double arrow buttons are key frames(if you hover your mouse pointer over the button it should say previous/next Key Frame).
    At the end of your video....press the Key Frames arrow forward or back to get the precise cutting point....then press A
    Drag the slider all the way to the end of the video file....press B.
    Got to EDIT.....then click CUT.

Now you should be left with only the portion of the video that you want.
    Now:
    Video
    COPY

Audio
    COPY

Format
    MPEG-PS
    Worked great, Hech. Thanks again.

Hans L
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Hans L View Post
    No, I did not try, because you asked me "And it's in VOB format?", which made me believe that the app only worked with that format.
    Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have given the impression that they worked only on VOBs. But as the names imply, both MPEG2Cut and MPEG2Cut2 work on all kinds of MPEG-2s, and not just VOBs. I prefer the older MPEG2Cut (both are found at the same link) because I find it a bit more intuitive and easier to use, even though the more recent MEG2Cut2 can do a lot more. I usually cut up single VOBs, though. If you'll be opening multiple VOBs at the same time and then saving out the 'good' part, you'll need MPEG2Cut2. Or AviDemux as hech54 suggested. Or other programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AviDemux is my "go to" program for may many things.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    No, I did not try, because you asked me "And it's in VOB format?", which made me believe that the app only worked with that format.
    Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have given the impression that they worked only on VOBs. But as the names imply, both MPEG2Cut and MPEG2Cut2 work on all kinds of MPEG-2s, and not just VOBs. I prefer the older MPEG2Cut (both are found at the same link) because I find it a bit more intuitive and easier to use, even though the more recent MEG2Cut2 can do a lot more. I usually cut up single VOBs, though. If you'll be opening multiple VOBs at the same time and then saving out the 'good' part, you'll need MPEG2Cut2. Or AviDemux as hech54 suggested. Or other programs.
    Manono, I appreciate your reference to MPEG2Cut[2]. When you start out, you can never get too much help. Right now, my needs are simple, and I was able to use AviDemux (which, had Hech not told me otherwise, I would have thought worked only with AVI files .

Best regards,

Hans L
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have never tried either MPEG2Cut and MPEG2Cut2 because I also MPEG-VCR. Best $19(?) I ever spent.
    Quote Quote