VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I converted a 40-sec DVD clip to AVI format. Then I tried to import it into Vegas 5.0 but could only get the audio part in. My question is: what's causing this? Is it that Vegas is picky about certain AVI files? Or is it that something I did/didn't do during the DVD->AVI process?

I use DVDshrink and WinFF

System is WinXPSP2/AMD Sepron 3100+

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AVI is just the name of the container. It can be any of several dozen formats, audio and video. If you drop the file into Gspot, it will tell you the codecs used and those will be the actual formats.

And with each AVI type codec, there may be many, many variable settings available. Some that Vegas may not accept. You might try a format that has specific default settings, like DV-AVI.

DV uses the same framesize/framerate as DVD MPEG video, so a easy conversion that most AVI type editors will accept. The downside is that it uses about 13GB per hour of video, so you need a fair amount of hard drive space. But the quality should be very good.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinFF does not convert to DV-AVI. AFAIK, the only avi presets for WinFF are xvid -- definitely NOT compatible with Vegas. XviD4PSP has a DV-AVI export setting, among many others.
    Quote Quote  
  4. convert the shrink vob to mpeg-2 with vob2mpeg and then import that into vegas directly. works for newer versions of vegas, might for v5?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THANK YOU so much for your response. What an awesome website!
    Quote Quote