VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys. I got an AVI file and am trying to convert it so I can burn it to a DVD. I was reading around and I guess it's better to make it into a VOB. I tried following this guide: http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/AVI_to_DVD_using_DVD_Flick_page1.html . It worked and all, except when I preview the file, it gradually becomes out of sync.
    I really don't know where to go from there? Is there an easier way to burn an AVI to DVD or am I just SOL.
    Thank in ad.
    Btw, sorry if this is a double post somewheres, I've been searing for about an hour and haven't found a solution
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not really better to just 'Make it into a VOB'. If you want to create a DVD, you would need VOBs and the other parts of a compliant DVD. For the DVD specifications, format and structure, look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD.

I would first drop it into Gspot 2.70 and check to the lower left to see if the green 'VBR' box is lit. That is a common cause of sync problems with MPEG conversion. If so, extract the MP3 VBR audio as a WAV, mux it back in with the video and use that to encode to MPEG instead. Get back to us and we can tell you ways to do that with VirtualDub or other programs if that's the case. If not, then it can get a bit more complex.

When a file goes gradually out of sync, it can be caused by the audio and video tracks being different lengths, or bad cuts or pastes in the file, or just a corrupted file. Many players can ignore these errors, but for encoding, you need a 100% error free file. VBR audio is very difficult to read for the length with most encoders. That's where the problems come in.

A converter like ConvertXToDVD can handle most VBR audio. It's payware, but works very well to convert video off the web to DVD compliant discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the reply redwudz!
    That program you suggested ConvertXToDVD worked beautifully!
    Although it did mess with the quality a tid bit.. I'de rather have a little lower quality than sound out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You may be able to 'fine tune' ConvertX a bit an improve the quality. It's sufficient for the average 700MB Xvid off the net most times. It can also do NTSC<>PAL conversions, which can really be useful. And anytime you re-encode or change the format, you will have some quality loss. The easy way to minimize this is to make the file even bigger, which is actually just increasing the bitrate. Higher bitrate=less quality loss=larger filesize.

And there are other methods and programs to do all this with generally better quality. It depends on how much time you want to spend to learn the use of all them.
    Quote Quote