VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have a problem,
    when i add multiple avi files into mkvmerge and then press "start muxing" i get one big file containing all the files together, i don't want that.

i want every file to be separate, i don't want to merge them into one file.
    how can i do that using mkvmerge?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think you can use the GUI to do that. There's probably a way to do it from the command line but I've never had to do it so I can't give you any details. Anyone else?......
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible at all to mux avi files in a mkv container?
    corect me if i'm wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1st yes it is possible to mux avi files to mkv files
    2nd mkvmerge only supports batch processing through it's batch functions
    3rd there are other tools that can do the job
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    Is it possible at all to mux avi files in a mkv container?
    You don't "mux AVI files", you mux the contents of the files. Yes, MkvMerge can mux the contents of an AVI file into an MKV container.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You don't "mux AVI files", you mux the contents of the files.
    Hmm,.. in general this is true and i probably have to read up on the way mkvmerge does it but iirc if mkvmerge does not support the video format in the avi container directly it does keep the it inside an avi container/wrapper,....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    You don't "mux AVI files", you mux the contents of the files.
    Hmm,.. in general this is true and i probably have to read up on the way mkvmerge does it but iirc if mkvmerge does not support the video format in the avi container directly it does keep the it inside an avi container/wrapper,....
    I just took an Xvid AVI file and changed the fourcc to XYZ1. Nothing will play it, of course. I then used MMG to mux it to MKV. It extracted the video and audio streams from the AVI and muxed them into an MVK, keeping the XYZ1 fourcc. Obviously, the file doesn't play because nobody knows what the fourcc XYZ1 means.

I certainly see how it's possible to mux the entire AVI file into an MKV (the whole point of an open and flexible container is to allow anybody to put anything they want in it). But I've never seen MMG do that. Maybe the CLI version will do that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. iirc the internal avi wrapper for the video stream is used when mmg mentions: 'Using the output module for the format 'VfW compatible video'.' (mux i.e. a rtv1 video http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1CQOBVCAMG)
    Last edited by Selur; 4th Jul 2012 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    iirc the internal avi wrapper for the video stream is used when mmg mentions: 'Using the output module for the format 'VfW compatible video'.' (mux i.e. a rtv1 video http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1CQOBVCAMG)
    That doesn't mean the entire AVI file is muxed into the MKV as a stream.
    Quote Quote  
  10. That doesn't mean the entire AVI file is muxed into the MKV as a stream.
    I never wrote that, I was only writing about the video stream:
    if mkvmerge does not support the video format in the avi container directly it does keep the it inside an avi container/wrapper
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Wow... how clever.
    I've only been out of bed for an hour or so, but I've already learned something new today.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Load the avi in mkvmerge and click on add to job queue,then click on remove all files,repeat with as many avi files as you want,then click on muxing/manage jobs/start.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Wow... how clever.
    I've only been out of bed for an hour or so, but I've already learned something new today.
    MkvMerge may use an VFW compatability muxer but that doesn't mean an AVI file is contained in the MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Load the avi in mkvmerge and click on add to job queue,then click on remove all files,repeat with as many avi files as you want,then click on muxing/manage jobs/start.

Wow.... how long has the "add to job queue" button been there? Please tell me it's only the most recent version, or just the last couple of versions, because I only just noticed it after reading your post and having a look, so the length of time MKVMergeGUI has had that button directly relates to how dumb I feel.
    Quote Quote  
  15. [qutoe]MkvMerge may use an VFW compatability muxer but that doesn't mean an AVI file is contained in the MKV.[/quote]
    you might be right there, not sure if I got that right when I read it, since I never saw a real explanaition what 'VfW compatibility mode' implies. -> if you know of some description/explanation please share
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    MkvMerge may use an VFW compatability muxer but that doesn't mean an AVI file is contained in the MKV.
    you might be right there, not sure if I got that right when I read it, since I never saw a real explanaition what 'VfW compatibility mode' implies. -> if you know of some description/explanation please share
    I've looked through hex dumps of MKV files made with the VFW compatibility muxer and there is no evidence of an AVI header, an ODML header, or movi chunks. Only the contents of the movi chunks are found in the MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  17. good to know, thanks for checking
    Quote Quote