VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i've been having a time trying to convert my vob files into avi or mpegs so i can edit them in Sony Screenblast. The issue i'm having is i'm changing the .VOB to .AVI or .MPG or .MPEG. I guess it changes into an mpeg fine becasue i can watch it. however when i dump it into Screenblast there is no audio. I've even tried converting the avi file to mpeg using TMPGEnc Xpress, but the audio is still not there. what am i doing wrong? why can't i just change the .vob to .avi or .mpeg and get on with life?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How are you converting the VOBs?

MPEG-2 streams taken from DVD may have AC3 audio, if I remember correctly, so that may also be a problem with some editors.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am simply using DVD Shrink which creates the vob file. once that is done, i just change the file from .VOB to .MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try vob2mpg instead of just renaming. And be sure to remove extra audio tracks in dvd shrink.

If that wont help try convert to avi using winff or avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I'd suggest using VOB2MPG as well to produce MPEGs from the VOB files, rather than just renaming the .vob files to .mpg. A VOB is a bit more than just a renamed MPEG - there's additional material in a VOB file which your editor may not like.

Are you using Shrink to compress the DVD before editing? If so, why not create MPEGs (or convert) from the original VOBs? Using Shrink to compress will actually lower the quality of the video you're trying to edit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm new at this, so i'm trying not to lower any of the quality. i'm using dvd shrink to get the vob file. next i'm using avi.net, which works great but when i put the avi file in my editing program, only the audio is there. so i have to convert the avi to mpeg using TMPGEnc Xpress. is all this converting messing with the quality? after i have done the editing of the mpegs in screenblast, i render it all to an avi file which i then convert to mpeg through TMPGE and then I use TSUNAMI-MPEG to do the authoring. wow that's alot. is there a better way to do this. i'm using screenblast because i know how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've heard of a program called Vidomi that is used as both a video player and a dvd ripper. Maybe you might wanna try that out. It's worked for me. And its sure to work for you. :P

Here's the link to the site:
    http://www.vidomi.com/download.php
    I like to have fun!

Want to have fun yourself? Visit my website at:
    http://www.mikeytatelive.com.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using VOB2MPG, then take the resulting MPEG and see if it works properly in your editor. Remember, though, that every time you convert, you're losing quality. (Note that VOB2MPG doesn't convert; it 'extracts' the MPEG from the VOB.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i used VOB2MPG and it worked very fast, however when i load the mpeg in screenblast or TMPGEnc Xpress i have no audio.
    what seems to work, but i'm afraid of lossing quality is: using dvd shrink for the vob files, then avi.net to get the avi. i then convert the avi to mpeg using TMPGEnc. the resulting mpeg is a bigger file than the avi which i don't understand. but i then can load that mpeg into screenblast (which has both audio and video), but again i think i'm losing quality. any suggestions?? thanks for all the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wait. Do you still have the resulting MPEG from running VOB2MPG? Run it through a utility like GSpot or MediaInfo, then post the resulting information or GSpot screenshot here. It probably has AC3 audio, or something similar, and you may just need a codec to be able to process the audio.

Or, at least, does the audio play when you play the MPEG from VOB2MPG? (Especially if you're using a player that doesn't depend on the system codecs, like VLC.)

As for the quality, it's subjective - does it look okay to you? You're re-encoding twice, so technically, you are losing quality both times - but it could still look decent enough for your purposes. It does sound like you're trying (maybe even unintentionally) to maintain some extra bitrate during the conversions, which is why you're ending up with a bigger file. That may help keep the quality of the file from being degraded as much.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, when i load the mpeg file into my edit program, only the video is there. when i play in mpeg in real player, i have both audio and video, and the quality is great. i have the gspot screen print, so hopefully this will pin point what i'm doing wrong. i don't know what any of it means. thanks again for your help

untitled.bmp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Divx is a poor file format for editing. Many editors don't load it nicely. Even Sony's big boys don't work well with it.

If you are going to go to the trouble of converting the file to AVI, convert it to DV AVI, and you will have no problems editing it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the .mpg/.mpeg created by VOB2MPG through GSpot, if you still have it. That's what I meant. Alternatively, you can try running the original .vob through GSpot, and see what GSpot reports... though I don't remember if GSpot does support getting information on .vob files.
    Quote Quote