VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I have searched for a solution, but without success. Maybe I am not looking for the correct thing or term. I am trying to save video output from FFplay for analysis. I am modifying some of the H.264 decoder source code in FFmpeg and then using FFplay to view the visual results by playing an mp4 video-only file containing H.264-encoded video data. However, I don't know how to save the FFplay output once I run FFplay. I'm thinking it is something similar to a dump.

Alternatively, how can I use FFmpeg to play the file, view the video and save the output rather than just doing conversions, etc. in the console? It seems that there should be a way to call FFplay from FFmpeg and then save/dump the visual results.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why use FFplay at all? Why not use FFmpeg with your modified decoder to output a video for viewing later - ie. view that exported video in any media player (even FFPlay). You can use a lossless format in the same colorspace

What am I missing ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why use FFplay at all? Why not use FFmpeg with your modified decoder to output a video for viewing later - ie. view that exported video in any media player (even FFPlay). You can use a lossless format in the same colorspace

What am I missing ?
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. How would I use FFmpeg to output a video for viewing later?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by qontranami View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why use FFplay at all? Why not use FFmpeg with your modified decoder to output a video for viewing later - ie. view that exported video in any media player (even FFPlay). You can use a lossless format in the same colorspace

What am I missing ?
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. How would I use FFmpeg to output a video for viewing later?
    http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

ffmpeg -i input.ext -vcodec huffyuv -acodec copy output.avi

For example this will output with huffyuv (lossless) compression - you need plenty of HDD space

You could use other types of compression if you want, or even lossy compression depending on your goals - maybe a certain level of quality is enough for your purposes
    Quote Quote  
  5. Alright. I will give this a try and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How is it possible that you know how to modify source code for ffmpeg's h264 decoder, yet not know how to use ffmpeg for encoding ??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    How is it possible that you know how to modify source code for ffmpeg's h264 decoder, yet not know how to use ffmpeg for encoding ??
    Thanks for your continued responses. I'm not trying to do any encoding, which I have done before, actually. All I would like to do is just output a file so as to observe the visual effects resulting from modifying the decoder. It is important that I do not encode the decoder output so that I can perform quality analysis later. This where lossless output comes in, which I was a little fuzzy about.

In any case, I was able to output a lossless file encapsulated as an avi according to your earlier suggestion. I played the video file and I was able to see what I wanted. Thank you very much. Eventually, I am going to save different versions of the same video based on different decoder modifications and then compare them quality-wise. I hope this all makes sense now.
    Quote Quote