Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I try to create a short motion menu at first (just 20s) and then
    jump to the static menu. I do all the motion by vegas and drag
    it to the DLP, but it comes with problems
    1) Indeed I have a background audio also , is it possible that the audio just available in
    the motion menu not in the static menu?
    2) When I have finished all my menu and compile it, the motion menu come normally,
    but after that the static menu can't shown but only the object has shown, I wonder if I
    have done anything wrong
    3) Does anyone know how to restrict the menu so that when the user click the menu button,
    it does not show the motion menu again (i.e. The motion menu show only once)

Many Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it actually a motion menu, or just a video clip to play before the static menu ?

A true motion menu have video running in the background the whole time.

If you just have a clip to play before the menu runs the first time, create the clip as a movie, not a menu. In the connections window, link the First Play item to the movie, then link the movie to the menu. Set the menu as the root menu, and this is where the viewer will return to. The clip will only play the first time the disc is run.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Motion menu can have both video and audio, but if you want to do what you say, than follow guns1inger advice.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    Motion menu can have both video and audio, but if you want to do what you say, than follow guns1inger advice.
    you tell exactly what I want! really thanks guns1inger
    last Q: That means I don't need to use 2 cells to make my menu?
    Just make a clip then a static menu, in the connection box, do the linkage and the first play menu settings as you say, am I right?
    Again many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use two cells, but this is much more involved. The basic step is to create you video, including the section with the menu, as one video clip. This means deciding up front where the menu will start, and making sure your audio can happily loop to this point. I usually have the menu text fade in at this point, and have the music fade out and then back in again, or have it fade out and stay out for the menu section.

You then load this into your menu in DLP, and set the end of the first cell to be point where your menu fades in. So far, it is all pretty simple. In Cell two you set you subpictures to mark the menu selections, and your menu is done.

The hard part is getting the first section of the menu to play once, and once only. This involves getting into the registers and setting a register value after the menu plays the first time, then checking this value on each subsequent play and skipping the first cell if it has been played before. I had to search the posts in the DLP forum at Mediachance to find the answer (which I don't have on this machine, sorry).

So why bother ? The advantage of using cells is that the transition between menus is seamless. No break in the music, no pause in the video. You will still get these when you loop the second cell, but by then it doesn't matter. However, if you are going from motion intro to still menu the difference isn't so great, and the effort may not be worth it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You can use two cells, but this is much more involved. The basic step is to create you video, including the section with the menu, as one video clip. This means deciding up front where the menu will start, and making sure your audio can happily loop to this point. I usually have the menu text fade in at this point, and have the music fade out and then back in again, or have it fade out and stay out for the menu section.

You then load this into your menu in DLP, and set the end of the first cell to be point where your menu fades in. So far, it is all pretty simple. In Cell two you set you subpictures to mark the menu selections, and your menu is done.

The hard part is getting the first section of the menu to play once, and once only. This involves getting into the registers and setting a register value after the menu plays the first time, then checking this value on each subsequent play and skipping the first cell if it has been played before. I had to search the posts in the DLP forum at Mediachance to find the answer (which I don't have on this machine, sorry).

So why bother ? The advantage of using cells is that the transition between menus is seamless. No break in the music, no pause in the video. You will still get these when you loop the second cell, but by then it doesn't matter. However, if you are going from motion intro to still menu the difference isn't so great, and the effort may not be worth it.
    but how to set the register so that when one press the title button, it will not play the video again, instead it will play the static menu I have designed in cell2?(Indeed I also want all the "Return to Main Menu" button will link to the static menu but not the clip.)
    And I have another problem, I try to put the motion menu (including the static scene I want to appear after the motion menu) in the first cell, and copy the last scene of the motion menu to the menu as cell2, and then azdd the button in DLP in cell 2, the problem is after playing the short clip in cell1, it then goes to cell2 but it shows invisible button, but I have set both of the button in visible mode, why is it happen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I can offer are the posts I followed at the DLP forums at Mediachance.

http://www.mmbforums.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=16553&hl=delayed+cell
    http://www.mmbforums.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=14797&st=0&p=85012&#entry85012

and suggest you search further there. They seem to have culled some of the older posts that also had info, but there should be enough here to get you started.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try adding the following 2 lines to the PRE-COMMANDS of the menu with the multiple cells.

if (GPRM0 > 0) LinkCN 2 (button 0)
    GPRM0 = 1

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thx for GeorgeW and guns1inger , I will try out
    Million Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GeorgeW
    Try adding the following 2 lines to the PRE-COMMANDS of the menu with the multiple cells.

if (GPRM0 > 0) LinkCN 2 (button 0)
    GPRM0 = 1

Regards,
    George
    I have succeed to control the situation so that when the user press the
    title button again, it will not play the clip, but I have 2 menus (1 is the
    menu with 2 cells as mentioned before, and the other is the scene
    selection menu, the scene selection menu has the button called "return
    to main menu" I have set return to cell2(ie the static menu ) but after compile
    it stills plays the clip again, do I need to set other VM commands again to
    control that button?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try linking it to just the main menu. The pre commands you entered before should cause the menu to skip the first cell on subsequent plays
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try linking it to just the main menu. The pre commands you entered before should cause the menu to skip the first cell on subsequent plays
    It really works! thanks guns1inger~ But the items in the cell2 in the main
    menu does not appear unless I highlight it(Actually I have made the text
    blue and the text becomes pink when I higghlight it,but now the situation
    is it jst appears pink without showing the blue text), I wonder I should make
    the text in vegas instead of in DLP
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can only make the background text in Vegas. The sub-picture, or highlight, has to be done in DLP or as an external sub-picture in photoshop. If you add text in DLP that you want to have as background text on a motion menu, you have to Render Motion, which re-encodes the menu to AVI, which you then have to re-encode again to mpeg-2 and re-import.

My process is to create the entire menu in Vegas, then use abstract pointers added in DLP for the menu marks. Saves having to line up the text overlays etc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can only make the background text in Vegas. The sub-picture, or highlight, has to be done in DLP or as an external sub-picture in photoshop. If you add text in DLP that you want to have as background text on a motion menu, you have to Render Motion, which re-encodes the menu to AVI, which you then have to re-encode again to mpeg-2 and re-import.

My process is to create the entire menu in Vegas, then use abstract pointers added in DLP for the menu marks. Saves having to line up the text overlays etc.
    I got your point ~really thanks. A silly question: I am now making menu in 4:3 ratio,
    can DLP edit the menu in 16:9?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DLP can make 16:9 menu, you just have to set it that way in Project Properties.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    DLP can make 16:9 menu, you just have to set it that way in Project Properties.
    thanks man
    I post the Q here coz I don't want to waste a new post:
    I try to edit my menu in vegas, but I encounter problems
    when I try to input text (which is mixed with the video)
    How can I make the input text shown on the primary track?
    (I have done the mask in the relative area in the primary track,
    but it seems that only the second track can be seen in the primary
    track, but the text layer cannot make it appear in the primary track),
    does anyone have an idea to make the track visible in the primary
    track?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Vegas.
    Wait for guns1inger to come along.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Move the text track to be on TOP of the other tracks...

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GeorgeW
    Move the text track to be on TOP of the other tracks...
    yep.

Think of the Vegas timelines as being panes of glass, with you looking down from above. You can see through the holes in the top pane to the panes below. If you block the whole of the top pane, say with an image, you can't see through to the ones underneath. You have to stack the panes in the right order to be able to see all the levels.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really thanks for GeorgeW and guns1inger, it now works! You 2 teach me a lot! And your description is really good guns1inger! It helps me know more about vegas, I am now trying to search if there is any online tutor on vegas like DLP, do you have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I face another problem when I try authoring menus with different aspect ratios, is DLP allow users to create menus with a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 aspects? I try to edit the VTS properties of 1 of the menu that I wish to change to 4:3 menu, but it seems that it helps me to change all 5 menus, is it possible to change only one menu?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I need to create one more VTS menu and link that menu to the menu in VTS1, and set the root menu and first play buttonlinked to the menu in VTS2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The menus should match the aspect ratio of the video in the titleset. So if titleset 1 (VTS1) has 16:9 video, it should have 16:9 menus.

The way to get around this restriction is to create menus at the VMG level, then use bridges to move between the titlesets. It is all covered in the help files. Have a read about the VMG level and bridges in the help files.

This is also why you should plan the actual structure and attributes out on paper before starting to build.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The menus should match the aspect ratio of the video in the titleset. So if titleset 1 (VTS1) has 16:9 video, it should have 16:9 menus.

The way to get around this restriction is to create menus at the VMG level, then use bridges to move between the titlesets. It is all covered in the help files. Have a read about the VMG level and bridges in the help files.

This is also why you should plan the actual structure and attributes out on paper before starting to build.
    Let me try the VMG menu and see if it works~
    btw: What is the way of using VMG menu? In the same VTS, DLP just allows one aspect ratio, I still can't change the VMG menu into 4:3, it helps me to convert the other VTS menu at the same time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The menus should match the aspect ratio of the video in the titleset.
    Is it really limited this way in DVDLab?
    The other applications (like TDA, DVDRemake) allow for different AR of menus and the movie in the same VTS and it always works. The limitation is to have the same AR for all menu pages inside a VTS, or within video manager menu.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="ihmcjacky"]
    Menu does not have to have the same A/R as Title, but all menus have to be same A/R and all titles have to be the same A/R in one VTS.
    That is, if one Menu is 4:3, all other have to be 4:3 in the same VTS. If one title is 16:9 all other have to be 16:9 in same VTS.
    DVD Lab has the same option.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="tinker"]
    Originally Posted by ihmcjacky
    Menu does not have to have the same A/R as Title, but all menus have to be same A/R and all titles have to be the same A/R in one VTS.
    That is, if one Menu is 4:3, all other have to be 4:3 in the same VTS. If one title is 16:9 all other have to be 16:9 in same VTS.
    oh what a shame! Maybe I'll need to edit my main menu again...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consider it a learning curve.
    We all go through this.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM

A little bit confused. What do you mean by sub-picture? Is that only a jpeg file with
    only one color? What actually does the sub-picture function? I have created the DVD
    now with abstract pointers, but when I put in my DVD player, it can not detect my
    first button and consequently I can't select the object!(which is created in vegas)
    As you can see on my previous post I have a motion menu which there is a small
    video at the top of the jpeg file, and there is a fade in of the topic and the objects
    like scene selection in the first 4s, the point is I want to let the objects there with
    the motion menu continues to run(ie the motion menu and the object appears
    simultaneously after the fade in time, instead of motion menu then static menu)
    It is a little bit different as I mention at the top most of the post, but I just can't understand
    why my player can't recognize my first invisible button. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ps: Wanna ask guns1inger how to match the abstract button with the object in vegas in a faster manner under DLP, I found it hard to match the abstract buttons with the text, I need to compile several times in order to get the correct position, would you share how you match the abstract buttons in a faster and proper manner?
    Regards ihmcjacky
    Quote Quote