VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm at work and unfortunately can't try it right now, but do I need a url snooper for this site?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg0NTU5Mjky.html

I've tried firefox's download helper- doesn't even recognize there being a video on the page
    orbit's downloader- records only the first 6 min or so
    VLC- nothing happens
    SDP multimedia- says something about being invalid.

what am I doing wrong? do i need a url snooper for this site or is the URL already present?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Firefox + Flash Video Downloader worked for me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fvd.png
Views:	192
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	7898

As the video played, or as I used the scrollbar to move through the video, new parts would show up in Flash Video Downloader.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Jul 2011 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    See if StreamTransport or StreamHijacker can get the video. Orbit and Firefox Download Helper are a bit behind the curve these days and sites that protect against downloading can often defeat them.
    Last edited by jman98; 22nd Jul 2011 at 13:56. Reason: Incorrect phrasing changed
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the flash player and it worked. well at least it downloaded the video as a 26mb .mp4 file. Windows media couldn't open it here at work, so I'll try it at home with VLC. thanks so much. I should have come here first instead of experimenting for hours.

btw, when software like this downloads a video from a website, is it re-encoding it, or is it just pulling the source file (video) as is and putting it on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post

btw, when software like this downloads a video from a website, is it re-encoding it, or is it just pulling the source file (video) as is and putting it on your computer?
    Usually it just grabs it in whatever format it's already in, but a few streaming media recorders may actually let you set the output format and they'll encode on the fly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so I can just assume that flashdownloader just grabs it since it never asks me what kind of format I want it in.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Flash Video Downloader grabs the file from the server. It does not reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks. I do have a new problem though. Got home, tried to add the installer to my firefox and NOTHING happens. It was so easy at work. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to update FF and see what happens...
    Last edited by uglijimus; 22nd Jul 2011 at 17:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm using Firefox 6 beta with Flash Video Downloader. I have another system with Firefox 5 and Download Helper. That was able to download from the site too.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i don't know what's going on . I tried firefox 3.6, 5.0 and beta 6.0. It either said they were incompatible or they would let me download it and nothing would happen. I'll have to register with the firefox forum and see what's going on. thanks for all of your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is the plugin I'm using with beta 6:
    http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/
    Maybe you need admin privileges? Try starting Firefox with Run as Admin...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's it! THAT was the application that I needed. There's a similar one out there that comes from the same web site and that's the one I accidentally downloaded.

it's working, except it divides an episode into several parts (like 6 or 7) and the quality is not as good as the one streamed on the web site.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
    it's working, except it divides an episode into several parts (like 6 or 7) and the quality is not as good as the one streamed on the web site.
    It's the exact same files that are streamed from the site. You probably need to adjust your graphics card's video brightness/contrast settings.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Jul 2011 at 06:35.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    This is the plugin I'm using with beta 6:
    http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/
    Maybe you need admin privileges? Try starting Firefox with Run as Admin...
    Incidentally, the FF download page for this says that compatibility extends back to ver. 3.x.
    They also show extension versions available for I.E., Chrome, and Opera.

Would you happen to know if this add-on clashes with any of the other video download add-ons that may be installed ? I intend to give this a try, but am not keen to toss some of the others, such as YouseableTubeFix under Greasemonkey. Maybe I'll try it out with a different browser, since I don't normally use I.E. or Chrome very much.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Would you happen to know if this add-on clashes with any of the other video download add-ons that may be installed ?
    Not that I know of. But I just started using it because Download Helper no longer works with the Firefox 6 beta.
    Quote Quote