VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My unit has now started displaying the classic flashing loading signal, but it doesn't show any signs inside of heat damage or bulging capacitors. I have had this problem a few times in the past few years, but unplugging it for several hours always worked. Not this time. Even more than a week unplugged did no good.

The problem that occurred at the same time this started was that the hard drive was almost full. It's hard to say when it really is full, because it seems to be confused about how much space is left. It will say 6 hours, but quit recording after 4, and so on. So it finished the recording, but said "please wait" at the end (frozen). This has happened a couple of times before. I pressed stop and the power for a few seconds to get it to turn off, since it was locked up. Normally when I power back on, it works fine and my last movie recorded is there, but it doesn't know how long it was. This time, it couldn't get past the loading signal. Also, when I press stop and the power button now to try to get it to shut off, nothing happens. I have to unplug it.

Since the unit is way beyond any sort of warranty, I would be willing to try to repair it, but I really don't know where to start since it looks brand new inside. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The classic JVC DVD/HDD models were very very strange in their HDD implementation, HDD corruption is common and repair/replacement absurdly difficult (they are about as bad as the Pioneer 533/633 in that respect). If you don't see any evidence of power supply degradation you prbably have a worn HDD. "Loading" is a catchall warning for anything from "I don't like this dvd" to "my power unit is about to implode" to "my HDD is sick": no real way of knowing the cause.

Information on HDD repair/replacement in the original classic JVC DVD/HDD models is scarce and contradictory, partly because the machines were comparatively rare in North America (where JVC sold mostly DVD/VHS combos). The JVCs with HDD sold much better in Europe and Asia, you kind of need to scrounge A/V forums catering to those regions for info on the DR-MH30. You could start with this recent VH post on the topic. The JVCs with HDD vary wildly from unit to unit, so the rebuilding procedure also varies and the steps in that post may not be entirely useful in your case. Many geeks have succeeded in salvaging their proprietary recorder HDDs using a recovery/hex program named Stellar Phoenix. It used to be extremely expensive but now sells for about $60 direct from the publisher. Whether it would be worth the trouble as opposed to just replacing the DR-MH30 with a newer model is another question.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for your helpful response, Orsetto. I'm going to save that and start doing my research.

In the meantime, I plugged it back in after taking off the cover and left it. I almost plugged it in far from the TV, but thought that if it started to work, then I could take a chance of it not working anymore once I unplugged it again to move it closer to the TV. So I plugged it in near the TV despite havng no hope of it working, and when I checked it just now, lo and behold, it lives! I couldn't believe it. This has been about a month now that I've randomly tried getting it to work and finally posted my message in this forum. No idea why the loading signal went away this time, but at least I can get my movies dubbed off now. Actually, I did one thing different--I pushed on the front panel while it was making the noises that it normally does before it fails to finish starting up. It seemed loose and I noticed there was circuitry in there. It didn't seem to help at the time, though, so I still really don't know whether that possibly helped or not.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I spoke too soon about being able to dub my movies! I can't get the DVD door to open--not with the open button, the remote or the hidden button inside the panel. I may have damaged something when trying to get it to open with a paperclip in the tiny hole while the unit flashing loading?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a service manual for the DR-MH20 and DR-MH30:
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/46085/JVC_DR-MH20,MH30.html

FWIW, here is a service bulletin "to improve picture and sound noise":
    http://www.uploadarchief.net/files/download/dr-m10%20modificatie.pdf
    Quote Quote