VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded an ISO file. I know you can burn with Nero Burning ROM to a DVD-R as a ISO file to play. Is there anyway to play directly off my computer? I tried to use Cyberlink Power DVD to play the ISO file, but doesnt seem like it works.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try VLC. Or use Daemon Tools to mount the ISO as a virtual DVD. Then use any DVD player, including the players mentioned above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also, I am trying to move/copy this ISO file (about 4.5 GB size) from my computer to my external hard drive (which has 252 GB space left). It keeps telling me that "there is not enough free disk space" on my external hard drive. But I can move and copy other files of significant size, just not this particular ISO file.

Why is that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. IS your external drive FAT32 format? That has a 4 GB file size limit. You'll need to reformat NTFS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not use Daemon Tools as it now contains adware. Why not use this tool: http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org

It is a very small program that works great and is open source.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is FAT32. If I reformate to NTFS, do I lose all 250 GB of data?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The conversion should not disturb the existing data, HOWEVER, as always, before doing anything of this nature - BACK UP first.

Microsoft Technet has some info (and I'm sure you can Google for much more):
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  8. Windows includes a FAT32 to NTFS converter. To be safe you should back up your data somewhere though.

See the section entitled "Converting to NTFS Using Convert.exe":

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74
    It is FAT32. If I reformate to NTFS, do I lose all 250 GB of data?
    As the others have said, it will probably work OK. I work in IT for a living and the problem is that EVERYTHING Microsoft does is half-assed, so even though 99 other people may have done exactly what you did and had no problems, I can't totally rule out that some weird problem will happen for you and delete your data. The ONLY way you can be totally sure not to lose data is to back it up. Sorry. Years ago on my first XP box I did the conversion and lost nothing, but nobody can guarantee you that anything written by Microsoft will not have unintended consequences. Some of their tools work very well for the vast majority of users but a small minority will get completely hosed by them. There have been recommended patches that worked well for almost everyone but completely messed up a rather small number of PC users requiring a complete reinstallation.
    Quote Quote  
  10. in layman's terms what is the difference between NTFS and FAT32?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anonymous8443434
    Removed.
    Last edited by Anonymous8443434; 26th Jul 2013 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could also just Shrink the file to 4gb or use Shrink and convert it to 2 smaller ISOs.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or just unpack the iso as the vobs are only 1gb each.
    though i would advise converting the drive to NTFS anyway, unless you
    run win98 on it haha..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or want to plug it into a DVD player with a USB port. Almost all DVD players with USB ports only accept Fat 32. And though you may be able to convert from Fat to NTFS without losing data you will loose all data if you decide to go back to Fat32
    Tony
    Quote Quote  
  15. My FreeAgent Theater can play ISO files directly on my TV.
    Quote Quote