VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have three computers on one monitor (a recent change to my setup). The KVM sucks with the LCD at 1280x1024.

VGA connections, no DVI available.

Ghosting, color flicker, color accuracy, and lack of sharpness are the problem.

I believe a "high bandwidth" or "high resolution" (I forget the term used) is needed. How do you know what constitures that "high" level?

Look here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10104

Many are marked by MHz and tout amplification. Would one of these work?

Trying to get by with as minimal a cost as I can on this. These run in the $20-30 (plus shipping) range, which is quite acceptable.

Manual switching preferred, I hate keyboard shortcut ones (or rather some of my software hates it). Separate keyboards and mice are used, KVM not needed, due to software needs (they don't play nice when the mouse or keyboard is "unplugged").

Advice?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a few manual KVM switchers: http://www.computergate.com/products/prodlist.cfm?prodseq=J9MW02&startrow=1&filter=&so...showimages=yes

But if you only need to switch the VGA, just about any mechanical switch should work. http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=WSBAV41

Or here's the whole listing of different models and types of switchers. Most of them are inexpensive, especially the mechanical switchers. http://www.computergate.com/products/category.cfm?prodseq=J9

I use a cheap IOGear electronic KVM and one computer is 25 feet away from a Hanns 21" VGA monitor, the other about 5 feet. Both work fine with no ghosting or color problems. I'm running it at 1680 X 1050 (Widescreen)

I would be a bit worried that amplifiying the VGA would be more likely to cause color shifts, if the problem is already there. Video is really not that high of bandwidth, at least compared to RF signals. Mostly just good shielding on the cables is enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Modern Display cards (e.g. the ATI x800 and up) offer 400MHz RAMDAC's with max VGA resolutions 0f QXGA 2048x1536 @ 85 MHz.

The 400 MHz KVM models also claim peak 2048x1536 resolution.

I use a Belkin E Series 2x KVM. I use one P/S2 keyboard + Mon but two separate mice. It never seemed to work correctly with the mice unless both machines were rebooted together. It has a manual switch button or can use hot keys.

I run one of the computers over a 25ft "Double Shielded" VGA cable (ATI 9550) and all is fine at 1280x1024. No problem switching between ATI and NVIDIA or between XP and Linux except for the mouse issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think those low-bandwidth VGA switches that are $10 would help me. I have three of those already, and they're not working right. ONe sorta works, but it's only a two, and I need three (four).

That Belkin is expensive. $75 or so for a 4-port. Yikes.

My current cards are ATI AIW 7000 and 9000 series cards. (32-128MB RAM)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got mine on sale at microcenter for around $38 with cables.

Newegg has seveal 4 port models $53 up.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000290143+4026+1112808988...er+Connections
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used a KVM in ages. I had a Belkin I believe. But I remember the biggest problem that I had getting mine to work was the cabling. The video cables that came with my switch were crap and it didn't work decent until I replaced the video cables with quality cables.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I struggled with inexpensive KVM switches and cables that were supposedly high quality but were not. They displayed the same problems you are seeing.

Then I bought a MoniSwitch USB 4 from DrBott.com. It's not cheap, but it comes with high quality cables (VGA and USB) which more than offsets the higher price. I've installed several of these with no problems.

DrBott is a Mac site, but the high quality of the products that are not Mac specific (powered USB hubs, KVM switches etc.) keeps me going back.

You can sign up to be a reseller (no cost or obligation) and get a decent discount from list.

edDV - I had the same problem with PS2 KVM switches. I only needed one mouse and one keyboard once I switched to USB. It might be an expensive solution to a problem that you've already worked around, but I'm all for less clutter on the desk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dLee
    I struggled with inexpensive KVM switches and cables that were supposedly high quality but were not. They displayed the same problems you are seeing.

Then I bought a MoniSwitch USB 4 from DrBott.com. It's not cheap, but it comes with high quality cables (VGA and USB) which more than offsets the higher price. I've installed several of these with no problems.

DrBott is a Mac site, but the high quality of the products that are not Mac specific (powered USB hubs, KVM switches etc.) keeps me going back.

You can sign up to be a reseller (no cost or obligation) and get a decent discount from list.

edDV - I had the same problem with PS2 KVM switches. I only needed one mouse and one keyboard once I switched to USB. It might be an expensive solution to a problem that you've already worked around, but I'm all for less clutter on the desk.
    My solution was to use multiple mice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    That Belkin is expensive. $75 or so for a 4-port. Yikes.
    That's expensive for a quality KVM?

I've spent much more for KVMs. Now, I will only buy active KMS (solves the mouse and keyboard problems)
    My last KVM was $1200, granted it was a 16port that can be cascaded 4 times, but you get what you pay for.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I already own really good cables, so that's not an issue.

Newegg charges tax, I'm in one of those states.

I don't have excess money for this right now, so yes, $75 is a bit costly.

I might try some from local stores.
    Quote Quote