VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We deliver training videos to corporate customers. Most customers see all of our videos. But some complain that they are unable to see any of our videos. The player shows up fine, but no video appears. I am serving the video from Advection.net.

What are the posible reasons that they do not see the video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. might be a firewall

are the complaints from a subset of customers ? e.g from a certain location or particular company ?

or are they accessing from home ? They might not have their flash plugin for their browser updated (it should say that, however)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am DEEPLY troubled by the original post.

If artkohn works for Advection.net, then that means that they have no idea what they are doing or how to fix problems with their own service.
    If artkohn is a client of Advection.net, then he needs to get Advection.net involved in solving this problem.

But to give you some more answers...
    It could be a customer firewall.
    It could be that Advection uses something non-standard in how they do the video and a few unlucky customers don't support it with their current set ups.
    It could be a browser issue and unfortunately Advection's service may not support all browsers or operating systems (We had a post last week from a guy who couldn't stream to his Linux PC and I found out for him that the service didn't support Linux clients).
    The customer may be really stupid and not doing something correct. I work in IT for a living and I remember one customer of our product who literally did not know what the term "browser" meant and in desperation when we told her "just open Internet Explorer" she said "What's that?".
    Quote Quote  
  4. It appears that Advection uses Silverlight, Flash and HTML5. I know that Apple doesn't like at least one of those and maybe two of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A desktop Apple system shouldn't have any problems playing the videos, though... in theory. There are versions of Silverlight for Mac OS X (and Moonlight for Linux, although that version can't handle Silverlight's DRM, which is why Netflix can't currently be viewed under Linux), Flash for both OS X and Linux, and support for HTML5 for all three OSes.

It's the mobile devices like iPads and iPhones which don't really support Flash, and probably not the other two, to some extent. The OP never did mention what the customers who were unable to view the videos properly are using (desktops? Mobile devices? Operating systems? ...etc.), so all we're doing, largely, is speculating.

We don't even know if they're having problems with a special proprietary player, web-based player, or so forth:
    The player shows up fine, but no video appears.
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 11th Oct 2012 at 12:32.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote