VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just got the following rig.

AMD64 2Ghz (Dual Core) - 2 Gig PC-3200 - 250 Gig SATA - nForce4 - 7600 GT

I was thinking about installing Windows XP Pro 64-Bit Edition, all my drivers are covered, but I was curious about what software out there is written to handle the 64 bit extensions and or handle multiple CPUs.

Even on Win2000 SP4, encoding a HD transport stream is so much faster than my older 32 bit 1.8ghz amd system.

Is it primetime for 64 bit apps? Or should I stick with a 32 bit version of either Win2000 or XP?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have a lot fewer issues with 32bit.

There is no 64bit software that I am aware of, however, the latest version of DVD2One is written to take advantage of dual core cpu's, and it is quite speedy. : )
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is some high end software for 64bit ... encoding and compositing ,,,

not much in the lower end ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub has a 64bit version and there is an Xvid 64bit too. I dual boot, and find even 32 bit apps like Canopus 1.5 run faster in the 64bit environment thanks to efficiencies in memory access. My advice dual boot. run your fav apps in each and time them . .you will be surprised I am sure.
    Who is watching the watchers.
    Quote Quote