VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a package that every codec known to man in it? If so, where can I download ir? John
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Is there a package that every codec known to man in it?
    Of course not. But for decoding try ffdshow. It includes decoders for most common codecs and has both VFW and DirectShow decoders. You can easily turn off/on individual codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Is there a package that every codec known to man in it?
    Codec packs have a reputation of causing problems. For an optimum system, install the minimum amount as needed, only the ones you know you will use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So far the only problem Shark007 has given me is because I'd turned on BitStreaming DirectShowSource failed to return any audio and so I didn't realise it was supposed to.

Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've yet to encounter anything that ffdshow can't decode since I started using it, oh, ten (?) years ago. If in the unlikely event you find something it can't handle, install the appropriate decoder.

I'd advise steering clear of codec packs. Yes, people get away with it, but some have problems arising from decoder conflicts. I wouldn't call ffdshow a codec pack, strictly speaking. It's an integrated decoder, not a pack thrown together promiscuously.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 21st Jun 2014 at 09:48.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!