VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just got my Intensity Pro card today, but I'm having some strange problems I hoped someone would be kind enough to help me with.

When I first booted my machine after I plugged it in, Windows 7 detected the card but couldnt find any drivers for it (I guess this is normal).
    I downloaded the latest drivers from their homepage, meaing 3.5.1. And after the installation was completed I were prompted to upgrade my firmware, so I did.
    But did upgrade failed somehow and told me to reboot and try again. I have no idea how to actually manually upgrade the firmware without reinstalling the whole driver package.
    So after I rebooted I uninstalled (rebooted again), installed the drivers, but this time I wasn't prompted to upgrade the firmware, and I got worried.
    I looked in my device manager and didn't find my card anywhere, so I thought the card was broken and contacted the provider I bought it from and told them what happend and got told that I should return it to them.
    After that I took the card out of my computer and put it in its box.

Some hours later I decided to try the card again, and what happens? The computer can now detect the card again.
    AGAIN I'm trying to install the latest drivers and it tells me I have to update my firmware. Guess what? It failes again, and the computer can't detect the card again.

So now I'm really confused, How should I solve this problem? And is there some way to make the computer detect the card without having to wait some hours without having ut plugged in?

When I installed the drivers & firmware, I had disabled all programs like firewall/antivirus/antispyware/UAC. So it couldnt be any interference from them.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe you need admin privileges to update the firmware? Are you sure they fully support 64 bit Win7?

later... It seems they do: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=198

Can you ignore the update message and capture anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Maybe you need admin privileges to update the firmware? Are you sure they fully support 64 bit Win7?

later... It seems they do: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=198

Can you ignore the update message and capture anyway?
    I've disabled UAC, meaning I don't need to run it as administrator.

No, I can't do shit with the card, its like its not even plugged in. And as I said, I can't see it in my device manager after trying to upgrade the firmware.

But if I let the card be for some hours unplugged, it re-appears in the device manager, but still with the old firmware.

I've installed windows xp sp3 on another harddrive. I'm going to try upgrading the firm with xp when the card is working again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by XAM View Post
    But if I let the card be for some hours unplugged, it re-appears in the device manager, but still with the old firmware.
    And does it work then? I suppose it doesn't matter since you're going to update the firmware from XP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by XAM View Post
    And does it work then? I suppose it doesn't matter since you're going to update the firmware from XP.
    Since I have to upgrade the firmware to be able to capture, no, it doesnt work.
    I've not tried older versions of the driver, only the latest.

In xp I'm going to start with the software cd I got in the box.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Didn't work in XP either, or well, xp didnt even detect the card when I tried o.O
    Last edited by XAM; 3rd Feb 2010 at 12:02.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    We are going to try the card in another computer tomorrow, if it dosen't work there either. I'll just guess its defect and sending it back to get a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Odd. Let us know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am having similair problems. I used the card on my pc and it worked perfectly fine. But after a fresh Win 7 64-bit install the card can't be detected in the device manager anymore. I tried both 3.4 and 3.5 drivers, both without succes. Im having a hard time finding the solution... Please contact me when you have the solution!

Also: I tried this with two computers, both with motherboards which are supported by blackmagic. I used a Gigabyte EP45 DSR and a Asus P5E.

Greetz Dery
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Okey, I got it to work by buying a new motherboard.

But now I can't get any image o_O The screen is all black, but the computer is detecting the card without any problems.

I managed to capture some video from my Xbox, but I don't know how I did, cause I can't get it to work again.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is your xbox set to output 720p or 1080i? The card won't capture 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I tried to install this card in my new Core i7 W7 64 bit using 3.5.1 drivers. It showed up as new hardware initially and I then had all the problems you have had. with firmware prompts. After several blue screens my PC now longer recognises new hardware despite a full uninstall and registry cleanout of blackmagic software.

I'm beginning to think that 3.5.1. has fried the Intensity hardware in some strange way - or corrupted windows at least.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a similar problem on Win7 Ultimate 64. I installed the card, drivers, software and updated firmware then re-installed and now my computer loses power and instantly shuts off after a minute or two of my computer being booted up. The only way i can get this to stop happening is removing the card physically from my pc.

I've performed another clean install, now of Win7 Pro 64 and the same problem with the same card.

I agree with you 'pradamedia' when you say about the firmware somehow frying the hardware or corrupted windows.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I haven't even bothered to test the card - I think it is OK. What I do now know is that PCI-e based Intensity Pro will not work with the huge majority of X58 chipset cards. Blackmagic acknowledge this. You will need to purchase the new Intensity Shuttle (connect via USB 3.0) which has been optimised for X58 based mobos - $199 approx.

Extra expense I know but at least a solution. Their website has all the details.

BTW I think this is raw deal for buyers of Intensity Pro and i think BM could have flagged problems up earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Has anyone found a solution for this? I've put my Intensity Pro back on my other motherboard in another computer to be able to capture from my main computer without any performance loss.
    The card works without any problem in my main computer.

Here's my second computer:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    4GB DDR2
    Windows XP PRO SP3
    Motherboard: MSI K9N Neo V2 ( http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1243&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=351 )

I've tried both old and newer drivers. None of them works. Can't find the card in device manager. And all options are greyed out in blackmagic control panel.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Just wanted to give you a heads-up here...
    Blackmagic Intensity Pro Greyed Out Control Panel
    Media Express does not see any capture card being installed

When installing the Blackmagic Intensity Pro onto a Windows 7 computer, during the software installation of the Intensity Software (any version) it states that a firmware upgrade is required... Afterwards you are told that the PC needs to be restarted for the changes to take effect... After restarting the PC you go to the BlackMagic Control Panel and all the settings are greyed out and are unable to make any setting changes... Also, when opening Media Express the software fails to open because it states that it cannot see a capture card installed on the PC...

What I have found is that no matter what version of the Intensity software being installed will act the same way on a Win7 machine... I found that all one needs to do is to enter the BIOS setup and save & exit then when booted back up all is then working correctly... It seems that after the firmware upgrade to the Intensity capture card that you need to enter the system BIOS for the PC to register the card correctly... At anytime whether you install the software or upgrade to a newer version, it will always ask that you need to run a firmware upgrade to the capture card and will need to enter the system BIOS once again in order for it to be registered correctly... Don't ask me why this is, it just seems to be the biggest issue when installing the Intensity capture card into a Windows 7 installed PC...

I sure hope that this helps allot of people whom have had nothing but problems installing this card...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I just bought this card and am having the same problems on my GA-EP35-DS4 with Win7 64bit. All controls grey out. I don't see the card in device manager. It doesn't pop up about firmware upgrade or what ever. I can't do anything with the card, like its not there. I have tried saving the system bios way, but no changes. I am returning the card. I wonder if Blackmagic/Decklink stuff is any better than Matrox. My alternatives are the Intensity Shuttle (if it works with Sandy Bridge), Matrox MXO2 mini and Decklink Studio now just for previewing with Premiere CS5. At the end maybe i will get the mxo2 mini if i see all the decklink problems on internet...
    Last edited by DvdRookie; 13th Mar 2011 at 06:06.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I know I'm bumping an old thread, but have been having this problem as well, I tried the bios save, and it worked for awhile, but when I switched my input from the brakeout cable to an hdmi port (pyshically and setiings wise), I got a BSOD and then the card does not show up in the device manager, and the settings in it's control panel are grayed out...

I have a windows 7 64 bit system, sandy bridge, 16 gb ram, I never had this problem before... Until I reformatted my system, I just wanted a clean slate with it... now it's all downhill, because this mainly a streaming rig I use
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    It almost sounds like you may have slightly pulled the card in it's slot inside the PC when you changed the cables... You might want to try removing the card and save the BIOS without the card in it and then place the card back in and save the BIOS again... If it was working before changing the cables look first that the card didn't become ajar...

Originally Posted by droopie28 View Post
    I know I'm bumping an old thread, but have been having this problem as well, I tried the bios save, and it worked for awhile, but when I switched my input from the brakeout cable to an hdmi port (pyshically and setiings wise), I got a BSOD and then the card does not show up in the device manager, and the settings in it's control panel are grayed out...

I have a windows 7 64 bit system, sandy bridge, 16 gb ram, I never had this problem before... Until I reformatted my system, I just wanted a clean slate with it... now it's all downhill, because this mainly a streaming rig I use
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hey, thanks for the reply, yeah Ive done that dozens of times now,.. now I have other problems

If I switch the input from say component to hdmi, about a minute later I get a bsod, saying process has locked pages...

anyone familiar with this?, google brought up results, so I known it has happened to others...

So bummed about this, for the last 3 months it worked fine, but now I can't switch input without some crappy stuff happening

thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote