VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have alot of problems ripping Walt Disney movies George of the jungle 2, Peter Pan, Monters...) lately using smartripper or the latest version of decrypter. The ripping process got froze for any reason and I can't even eject my dvd. I have to turn it off and turn it back on again.

Sometime, my dvd writer (LG GSA 440B) didn't recognise the dvd or an error message pops up once I put the original dvd into my pc. Can't remember what the message is.

I have already burned over 30 dvd since I have this burner. I'm wondering if Walt Disney movies have kind of protection that prevent the ripping software from doing there job?

Anybody has an idea what the problem is and any suggestion?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the movie play alright on your PC using that drive?

Can you copy the files directly from the drive to your hard drive (eg. Windows Explorer) without using any ripping software, without getting an error or the same lock-up symptoms?

3. Sometime the movie play fine on the pc but sometime I got an error message when I insert the dvd in my writer (normally there is window pops up to ask which program I like to use to open the files but not with those movies).

I didn't try to copy files directly from the dvd to my pc but I assume that would work.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No it won't work, the files are encrypted.

Sounds like dirty/scratched disks (Very Very common for Disney disks, since kids are usually watching them). Only takes 1 fingerprint...
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't suggesting you could do anything useful with the files. The whole point was a *read test* to see whether a simple copying tool (Windows Explorer) had trouble reading the disc or not.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to give the exact error message, maybe there is a problem with your drive.

7. Here is the error message when I insert the dvd in the drive:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click on Ok to terminate the application.

Something I don't understand because this only happened when I try to copy Walt Disney movies. I just ripped SWAT on my pc and it went fine.

8. This is a problem usually associated with dirty discs. If the problem is due to a scratch, then their is one easy way around it. Use dvd shrink and back up to one second before the movie crashes in decrypter. U can do this with the start/end option. In a second folder transcode the remainder after using the start/end option to forward 1 sec or 2 seconds after the crash.
    Then use the join function in dvd2one to combine the film.

Hope I made sense.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turn off your Autorun. Sounds like the PC spamware is trying to autorun and install on your PC. Nothing should start to run when you insert a DVD in your drive. It can also be Nero's InCD or Rokio's Direct CD having issues. Turn off any start centers for Roxio or Nero or RecordNow.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you tell us what us the title in the error message? it should tell you what program is crashing! if you have something like cdxxx.exe search for it on your hard drive and tell us on what folder is located(righ click->properties).

11. The story is that Disney's DVDs intentionally have "bad sectors" encoded into the structure to prevent ripping them using computer DVD drives. A standard DVD player can overlook the bad sectors and play the movie without a problem, but a DVD drive trying to rip it will balk on the problem areas.

12. Originally Posted by swbuehler View Post
    A standard DVD player can overlook the bad sectors and play the movie without a problem, but a DVD drive trying to rip it will balk on the problem areas.
    Not with up-to-date decrypters. You've managed to unearth an eight year old thread.

13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.